The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Has anybody A&B'd two 317's?

Has anybody A&B'd two 317's to see if they sounded the same? The shop I was interested in buying one from had two last week but sold the one that I was trying out since then. They had another one with bear claw that I didn't play. I know Taylors are known for consistency but I really liked the one I played.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Has anybody A&B'd two 317's to see if they sounded the same? The shop I was interested in buying one from had two last week but sold the one that I was trying out since then. They had another one with bear claw that I didn't play. I know Taylors are known for consistency but I really liked the one I played.
Kinda answered your own question. All guitars are going to be at least slightly different...but of all the major makers Taylor is the one you can most trust to be consistent. At least that’s my experience...

Old 06-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Yup i am probably over thinking it. I usually do everything. Just a little aggravated with myself for not grabbing the one that I played. Although the bear claw does intrigue me.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 06-17-2019, 11:18 AM

I don’t think you’re over thinking it at all.
IMO mass produced guitars don’t sound alike. One may be fantastic and another quite ordinary. Matching the sound in your head, produced by the one you passed by, could lead to a huge disappointment.
Keep auditioning guitars in person and your likelihood of getting tone like the one you passed on will increase.
Good luck!!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

When I got my 317, I had the option of buying the display one or the brand new factory fresh one straight out of the factory box. I didn't notice any difference, and my sales guy, who is a really good player said, they are REALLY close. I couldn't hear any difference with him playing either.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 06-17-2019, 11:37 AM

Taylor's are probably the most consistent of all the guitar manufacturers, but that being said, no two guitars are the same. I went to a Taylor Showcase event and they had multiple of every Grand Pacific Model and I A/B'd them all for some time. Every guitar has it's unique qualities.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:12 PM

Well unfortunately I don't have the one I played to compare. But who knows, the one or two others they have may sound just as good if not better. I will compare them side by side. They said that they have another still in the box so I will do that.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 06-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Well I was able to A, B and C three 317 models today. Two with electronics and one without. They had a beautiful bear claw one with electronics hanging on the wall. They had one with a plain looking top with no electronics also hanging on the wall. They had another plain top one with electronics brand new in the box. I was able to play all three and here is what I found.

All three sounded different. I know that there could be many reasons for that but all three were different. First off, the one without electronics sounded the best to my earl It just rang out more and seemed to have more sustain and was loudest. The bear claw one with electronics just didn't do it for me. Compared to the first one it just sounded duller. Too bad cause it was beautiful. The new on in the box with electronics was in between the other two but still dull compared to the first one. It probably would have been perfect if I hadn't heard the one without electronics.

So now here is my dilemma. I want electronics but the one I liked best didn't have them. I was able to walk out of the store and not make a purchase today. I have had buyer's remorse before. I knew that if I got the one in the middle that I would not be happy because I know deep down that the one without electronics sounded the best. So now I am on a quest to find one with electronics that sounded like the one without them. The perfect one would also have that bear claw look.

So my question to anybody that knows. When some of you say these open up after a while, how do you mean? If I had gotten one of the two lesser sounding ones would they start to sound louder, brighter and have more sustain with opening up after some time? I don't think it was a sting issue. The strings looked really good on the two that were already hanging up. I am sure it is possible that I could get one of the two lesser sounding ones and add some strings like the Santa Cruz strings that people are suggesting and it may sound better.

Either way, I just found that I needed to walk away at this time and maybe another one will turn up that meets my expectations. I really want electronics or I would get the one without them. I suppose an after market pickup could be added but I would rather have the factory pickups for aesthetic reasons and convenience.

Thoughts? Thanks!
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 PM

If it were me, I'd grab the one you liked best acoustically, with visuals as a distant second factor. Then add the electronics of your choice later. But I'm not a fan of the current Taylor electronics (ES2). There are other systems that I like better, that don't put three visible holes in the bridge. Actually I've stopped gigging these days, so the last three guitars purchased did not have factory electronics on board.

If you really want ES2 in that guitar, the factory can add them later. They upgrade from older ES systems all the time. It won't be the most cost effective approach, but you will get everything you wanted.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If it were me, I'd grab the one you liked best acoustically, with visuals as a distant second factor. Then add the electronics of your choice later. But I'm not a fan of the current Taylor electronics (ES2). There are other systems that I like better, that don't put three visible holes in the bridge. Actually I've stopped gigging these days, so the last three guitars purchased did not have factory electronics on board.

If you really want ES2 in that guitar, the factory can add them later. They upgrade from older ES systems all the time. It won't be the most cost effective approach, but you will get everything you wanted.
Well I don't play out anywhere right now but I plan on it. I guess it is something to think about as far as having an aftermarket pickup installed. I am just not very familiar with pickups and have just used what came with the guitar.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If it were me, I'd grab the one you liked best acoustically, with visuals as a distant second factor. Then add the electronics of your choice later...
I'm with Earl.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-18-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm with Earl.....
And what pickup system would you add may I ask? I don't mind ponying up the money at a later time for a really good one.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm with Earl.....
Yeppers...I'm with Earl and RP on this.

Yer kinda startin to overthink this thingy again.

There are plenty of pickup systems in the sea, but only so many pretty fish.

You found a guitar you like the sound of...the pickup is an easy "later" addition, even the ES2 system.

c'mon now...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And what pickup system would you add may I ask?
Here's one thread, but it might be worth starting another in Acoustic Amplification...https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=546808
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Yup i am probably over thinking it. I usually do everything. Just a little aggravated with myself for not grabbing the one that I played. Although the bear claw does intrigue me.
Well, you actually might hear a difference between a top with and without bear claw. I can vouch for the bear claw top on my 717. I haven't A/B'd it with another 717 directly, but I have played a total of five 717s, and mine wins out overall.

Supposedly, bear claw tops are stiffer and are more akin to Adirondack in sound. Don't shoot the messenger...

Quote:
And what pickup system would you add may I ask? I don't mind ponying up the money at a later time for a really good one.
If the guitar is going to be with you a long time, skip the ES2. Put an LR Baggs system in it and you can retrofit the latest and greatest going forward. Once Taylor releases an ES3 eventually, the value of your guitar will plummet. Your overall market will be smaller without electronics, but the value will not be as affected by an old and "out of date" ES system. Ask me how I know lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion