The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 PM

Default ES-125...Part 2

Got myself a '55 model for 1200. Gonna play it through a 1960 Gibson Skylark, with built-in tremolo.

Of the bat, my first question is, What's with the bridge height?

On most guitars isn't the bridge/saddle fairly even with the nut height...oir am I wrong? On this thing, its fairly plane...until a sharp incline.

Yes, I will be taking it to my tech/luthier, as I would with anything new. But I'm just wondering.

Also, if you have any advice string-wise for my style: I plan on capo-ing frequently, and probably playing in Open-D tuning. I'm pretty sure I'll be using .012's - .052, with a wound 3rd.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:54 AM

Definitely have your guitar checked out, if only as a matter of course...

If everything checks out OK and you're planning on keeping it in open D (DADF#AD) I'd use either a medium (13-56) or heavy (14-59) set - you need to drive the top to get some "wood" into your tone, and as long as the neck geometry is good your guitar will handle them with no problem...
Old 05-09-2019, 05:55 AM

On a ES-125, or about any of gibsons archtop models, the bridge height off the top of the guitar will be in the 3/4" to 1 1/8" range, with a matching neck angle. The main reason is to get a good string break angle over the bridge and back to where the tail piece is mounted. I have never considered bridge height to have anything to do with nut height, the two are about completely separate. Nut height has to do with the fretboard specificially, and bridge height is all about neck angle and string height off the body. String height off the body on a typical flat top is in the 1/2" to 5/8" range, while string height off the body on a traditional archtop is 1" to 1 1/8", and a little less on some models.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 AM

It seems that with a flat top acoustic, if I took a straight edge from the nut, and ran down the frets, it would hit the saddle just a little below. Right?

If I do that on the 125, it would hit the bridge WAY BELOW.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM

On any guitar of any kind, if you have a "normal" action height of around 1/16" at the 12th fret, a straight edge on the frets will hit the bridge 1/8" below string height, exactly twice the action height at the 12th fret. So - what is your action height at the 12th fret, would be my question....
Old 05-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

ES125 is an electric guitar so you should be using steel strings, not bronze. And dont expect much in the way of acoustic tone or volume. It's a pressed top electric.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
Got myself a '55 model for 1200. Gonna play it through a 1960 Gibson Skylark, with built-in tremolo.

Of the bat, my first question is, What's with the bridge height?

On most guitars isn't the bridge/saddle fairly even with the nut height...oir am I wrong? On this thing, its fairly plane...until a sharp incline.

Yes, I will be taking it to my tech/luthier, as I would with anything new. But I'm just wondering.

Also, if you have any advice string-wise for my style: I plan on capo-ing frequently, and probably playing in Open-D tuning. I'm pretty sure I'll be using .012's - .052, with a wound 3rd.
As an FYI, I just checked out my 1965 ES-125C and the nut is pretty even with the top of the saddle...
Old 05-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

My 225 TDC is just magic through clean amps; Bruno's, Super's and RedPlates. Amazing tone with those vintage P90's.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
ES125 is an electric guitar so you should be using steel strings, not bronze. And dont expect much in the way of acoustic tone or volume. It's a pressed top electric.
Yes, electric strings and plugged in.
My question is more for advice on avoiding any tuning issues when capo'd or moving from open to standard tuning.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
On any guitar of any kind, if you have a "normal" action height of around 1/16" at the 12th fret, a straight edge on the frets will hit the bridge 1/8" below string height, exactly twice the action height at the 12th fret. So - what is your action height at the 12th fret, would be my question....
I dont have a gauge or even a good enough tape/ruler to get measurements at frets. But at the base of the bridge, from top of guitar to bottom of G string, it’s 7/8.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:33 AM

The thickness of a nickle between the fret and the bottom of the low E string is about normal action height. A little less than that between the fret and the bottom of the high E string - just a loose fit for a penny.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
The thickness of a nickle between the fret and the bottom of the low E string is about normal action height. A little less than that between the fret and the bottom of the high E string - just a loose fit for a penny.
At the 12th fret?
Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Action height is always quoted at the 12th fret, just the way we do it...
Old 05-13-2019, 06:05 PM

Would mentioning that capo-ing very frequently, tuning to Open-D and playing slide throw your 12th fret string height suggestions off?
Old 05-14-2019, 04:24 AM

Derek Trucks plays slide kinda well with that kind of action height. But you can put it wherever you like, I really don't care. Capo'ing has nothing to do with basic guitar setup, nor does open D tuning. Good luck with your guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops