The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
Then i would buy neither
So you'd pass on a laminate even if you thought the tone was excellent?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-28-2018, 12:08 PM

I sometimes read in this forum that "the back and sides have little effect on the tone of a guitar. It is all from the size of the guitar and the top and the strings" I don't know if that is correct or not??? (Everything matters somewhat)

My laminated Guild D30 is one of my nicest sounding guitars.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 PM

Really Blakey, any evidence to back that up? It's all very subjective and every instrument is different..
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 10-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
I only buy all solid guitars. I would never buy a laminate. Some guitar companies are making all solid for the same price as a plywood back and sides. Why would you go with laminate?
Well, mainly this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo765ti View Post
If you need durability, or increased resistance to the elements. If I wanted a camping or travel guitar I wouldn't go with all-solid.

And there are plenty of laminate b/s guitars that sound as good or better than some all-solid guitars.
I prefer laminates not only for cost but mainly because they are far less fussy. I have no worries about humidity, temperature, altitude...

Owning something so "valuable" that I have to be overly tender and caring about it negates the fun I intend to have with it.

I also realize nobody else knows or cares what I'm playing and to me personally the nuances of tone you can get from a solid wood guitar don't justify the additional expense and necessary maintenance and curating duties. Particularly considering my budget and the fact my skills have diminished due to health issues the past few years.

That said, if money were no object, I would love to own a solid Lowden or Santa Cruz, or another vintage Gibson.

But if that never happens, I'm fine and happy.

- John Shedd
Old 10-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey View Post
With a lamninate - after 10 years or so, once the top has well and truly worn in, the guitar will become frozen in time and won't ever sound any better. In fact the tone will deteriorate if anything. An all solid wood guitar is more likely to be a lifetime of evolving tone.
Why will the solid top on an all solid wood guitar change tone over more than 10 years while a solid top on a laminate guitar will not?

YouTube
Old 10-28-2018, 03:10 PM

People cite humidity and temperature resistance as a reason for getting a laminate but it's the top that gives like 90 percent of issues with both. Belly bridge, fretboard humps etc.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Why will the solid top on an all solid wood guitar change tone over more than 10 years while a solid top on a laminate guitar will not?
Where did you get that idea?
Old 10-28-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I sometimes read in this forum that "the back and sides have little effect on the tone of a guitar. It is all from the size of the guitar and the top and the strings" I don't know if that is correct or not??? (Everything matters somewhat)

My laminated Guild D30 is one of my nicest sounding guitars.
As with many things there are no real absolutes with guitars. Most of the sound comes from the top. The back steals energy from the top vibrations in the box. It does this at the back's resonances (there is mainly one for the lower bout and one for the upper bout) but if you have a heavy braced or thick back it will not steal much energy and therefor not give much back as far as sound. It can augment the bass of the guitar but a non-live back can have the bass added by the shape of the front braces. Also if the back is up against the player its contribution is further dampened. So while most of the guitar's sound does come from the top the back could influence the sound depending on how the guitar is constructed. This is a 25 words or less (ok I went over) explanation, hope nobody beats me up too much for it.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I think from this post.

Quote:
With a lamninate - after 10 years or so, once the top has well and truly worn in, the guitar will become frozen in time and won't ever sound any better. In fact the tone will deteriorate if anything. An all solid wood guitar is more likely to be a lifetime of evolving tone.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
"With a lamninate - after 10 years or so, once the top has well and truly worn in, the guitar will become frozen in time and won't ever sound any better. In fact the tone will deteriorate if anything. An all solid wood guitar is more likely to be a lifetime of evolving tone." - Blakey
Old 10-28-2018, 03:27 PM

You don't see many pro players nurturing their favourite laminate over the years. The price difference isn't a great leap anymore either.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
"With a lamninate - after 10 years or so, once the top has well and truly worn in, the guitar will become frozen in time and won't ever sound any better. In fact the tone will deteriorate if anything. An all solid wood guitar is more likely to be a lifetime of evolving tone." - Blakey
Sorry I still don't follow why you think the top of a laminate (with a solid top) changes differently from the top of a solid wood guitar?
Old 10-28-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry I still don't follow why you think the top of a laminate (with a solid top) changes differently from the top of a solid wood guitar?
I think there is a problem understanding what you said and, re-reading it, I think you are saying the guitar with solid back and sides continues to change, whereas the laminate back and sides doesn't.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So you'd pass on a laminate even if you thought the tone was excellent?
Quote:
From you...
Quote:

YouTube
Old 10-28-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
From you...
"The top of a laminate (with a solid top) changes differently from the top of a solid wood guitar"

That's not what I'm saying at all. Let's get that straight.

On both types the top will eventually stop moving, typically about 10 years or so as a generalisation. I.e at a molecular level the lattice of covalent bonds of the material are pretty stable. So that's it for a laminate, end of tonal journey.
The body and sides for an all wood guitar may take longer. So it's still a subtlety evolving sound. I guess eventually even the back and sides stop moving.
Ask yourself why some old vintage Martins sell for tens of thousands of bucks because of their jaw-dropping tone. Can you give me any examples of a revered and priceless vintage laminate acoustic? Probably not because it's game over after about 10 years and the fishpaste and plywood back & sides of the rest contributes nothing tonally.

Last edited by blakey; 10-28-2018 at 04:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion