The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 09:34 AM

Default Budget acoustic: Yamaha, Epiphone or laminate

Hey guys. I'm a beginner and I have a good nylon string and want to buy a budget steel string to practice pop and rock songs. My options are:

Yamaha SF800: decent but the sound is not resonant. I don't like it much.

Epishone from a pawn shop for $120. I like it's sound.

A new laminate guitar for $200. The sound is alright (need to try it again).

I'm inclined more towards The Epiphone but wanted to know what you think. One thing I've noticed is that it matters where you play the guitar. Like my nylon string sounded better before I moved to a new place. (Still sounds good at my teachers class.)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM

if you like the epiphone especially after playing, why not get it? it probably sounds good because it has been broken in. not sure why you do not like the Yamaha FS800 (assume you meant FS800, not SF800) since it is considered one of the best beginner guitars around. i just got my niece an FS830 and i thought it sounded great for its sub-$300 price tag. also may want to consider orangewood guitars as well but not sure you can find one to play before buying since they are direct online sales.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:09 AM

If you are in the USA, your local Craigslist and Facebook Buy, Sell, Trade can net some ridiculously good guitars for very little outlay.
Alvarez Artist series can be had for around $200 solid topped, laminate sides and back.
Taylor Big Baby in the same price point.
Most Yamaha.
There are two Seagulls in my local BST for $250.
Various G-Series Takamine guitars.

But I agree, if the Epiphone trips your trigger, plays well, sounds good, and is in your price range...it sounds like you may have found your guitar.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Don't forget to get the guitar set up. It will make a big difference to you as a beginner. Also no two guitars of the same brand and model number will sound the same. That's why when you find one you like it's a no brainer. If you like a more resonant guitar look at instruments with just basic finishes. Some of the Canadian brands are good value for money. Your Epiphone probably looks good and you say you like the sound. Get it set up to play comfortably and put in your practice time. The rewards are great.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 AM

"If it sounds good, it is good."

If the Epiphone speaks to you, get it! My dad has an all-laminate EJ jumbo that plays like butter and sounds very, very good. No shame at all in playing one.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM
Runaway Tomato

I agree with the others. If you already like the Epi, go ahead and get it.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 PM

If you have a choice with a solid top, go for it.

The Epiphone AJ220 S is pretty impressive for a cheap instrument. If that is the model at the pawn shop, you're doing pretty well.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:20 PM

Default Got the Epiphone

It's a DR100 NA made in China. Since 2 of the strings were missing, managed to bring the price down to $80. And it came with a good hard case. Put the missing strings and practiced on it side by side the Yamaha that I had bought last week. The Epishone is much more resonant. The Yamahs's sound is not "bad" but is kind of "small" which I think is because of its small body. Although its narrower neck may be an advantage.

I have a week to decide which one I'm gonna keep but I think it's going to be the Epishone.

P.S. I see Guitar Center has it new for $139 so not much of a bargain LOL.

Last edited by Rez; 06-17-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Trust me, get a Yamaha FG800. People on here have been singing their praises for a long time and quite frankly I just dismissed them until I wanted to find a "beater" guitar to take to work so I found a used one on CL this past weekend. I changed the strings on it and I am still just baffled that you can buy a guitar for around $200 that sounds and plays this well. Best $150 (used) I have ever spent!
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 06-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
It's a DR100 NA made in China. Since 2 of the strings were missing, managed to bring the price down to $80. And it came with a good hard case. Put the missing strings and practiced on it side by side the Yamaha that I had bought last week. The Epishone is much more resonant. The Yamahs's sound is not "bad" but is kind of "small" which I think is because of its small body. Although its narrower neck may be an advantage.

I have a week to decide which one I'm gonna keep but I think it's going to be the Epishone.

P.S. I see Guitar Center has it new for $139 so not much of a bargain LOL.
Go with your gut feeling and keep the Epiphone, is my advice.

I’m a Yamaha fan myself but each individual guitar varies according to the quality of the soundboard (the top of the guitar).

I just picked up a new Yamaha FS800 and it is unusually good. As soon as I put my hand to the strings the top responds like a delicate drum / slightly percussive boom to it reminiscent of my American made Martins. The top is also covered in silking typically found on much more expensive guitars.

A while ago I tried out another new FS800 and it was a dud.

Also I had purchased a new FG800 a while ago and it was nothing special either.

So going with the Epi and your feeling about it is the best way to go in my opinion.

Good luck
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM

The Epiphone DR-100's get excellent reviews, and they sell very well. I've listed to some Youtube videos with them, and they seem to sound very good.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
Hey guys. I'm a beginner and I have a good nylon string and want to buy a budget steel string to practice pop and rock songs. My options are:

Yamaha SF800: decent but the sound is not resonant. I don't like it much.

Epishone from a pawn shop for $120. I like it's sound.

A new laminate guitar for $200. The sound is alright (need to try it again).

I'm inclined more towards The Epiphone but wanted to know what you think. One thing I've noticed is that it matters where you play the guitar. Like my nylon string sounded better before I moved to a new place. (Still sounds good at my teachers class.)
Rez, there are TONS of extremely clean, used Yammies at $200 or less in the market, with free shipping. That would be my direction. FG-730s and FG-830s are fine guitars, as are the smaller folk models.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion