The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Best Boutique Versions of D-18 and D-28

I知 on the hunt for a dreadnought from a boutique maker (Santa Cruz, Collings, Bourgeois and Huss and Dalton in particular) and am considering both spruce/mahogany and spruce/rosewood in terms of tone woods. I知 seeking opinions in terms of what is the best of either (or both) that you致e owned? My price range is up to the $5k range. Tell me your top preference and why!
Old 02-28-2021, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
I知 on the hunt for a dreadnought from a boutique maker (Santa Cruz, Collings, Bourgeois and Huss and Dalton in particular) and am considering both spruce/mahogany and spruce/rosewood in terms of tone woods. I知 seeking opinions in terms of what is the best of either (or both) that you致e owned? My price range is up to the $5k range. Tell me your top preference and why!
Dumnno 'buot prices in the US, but I have three Collings dread. sitka/hog, sitka/eir and adi/hog.

All 12 frets.

Bliss!
Old 02-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Of the four boutique builders you mentioned I'd say Collings D1AT and Huss & Dalton's TD-M are great options for a D-18 style dread. As is Boucher but not mentioned above. The one SCGC D/PW rosewood I played was nice but not enough to take home. Not so familiar with Bourgeois. The two rosewood dreads that I really like are a Merrill C-28 Honduran and a PWGC HD Brazilian. And I own those two.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different recommendations Mike. I hope you find whatever works best for you...have fun!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-28-2021, 07:03 PM

pre*war guitar complany....5k should get you a used one, but they go quick once they are posted for sale
Old 02-28-2021, 07:12 PM

I have a Bob Thompson in torrified EIR and torrified mahogany. Even with a beveled armrest, well within the $5k budget.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:25 PM

Best I've played for my taste, playing style and material is, by a significant distance, a Collings D1AT. The new price is pretty far North these days from $5k; but I've seen a couple on Reverb for about $4500.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Best I've played for my taste, playing style and material is, by a significant distance, a Collings D1AT. The new price is pretty far North these days from $5k; but I've seen a couple on Reverb for about $4500.
Yeah...the latest price increase from Collings pushed the D1AT to $6450 I believe?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-28-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
...My price range is up to the $5k range. Tell me your top preference and why!
Don't rule out a (used) Martin '37 D-18 Authentic; MandoBros got one of the very first examples off the line, that my normally-jaded guitar-playing wife aptly described as "mind-blowing" (FYI it quickly wound up in Stan Jay's personal stash) - and if I could handle the Louisville Slugger 1-3/4" neck I would've happily bought it on the spot (with her enthusiastic approval), in preference to any of the the Santa Cruz/Collings dreads on display...
Old 02-28-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Yeah...the latest price increase from Collings pushed the D1AT to $6450 I believe?
Correct, new ones are $6450. I just bought a new Satin model a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by Lkristians; 03-01-2021 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Can't sell in general
Old 02-28-2021, 08:26 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Love my Collings D1A Traditional. Just a superb guitar in every way. As Jim said, they go for about $6,450 new. I bought mine used in excellent condition for $4,000. So consider used.

Also, if you want to go boutique single-luthier build consider commissioning one from Jimmy Edmonds. He does a fantastic version of a D-18 or D-28. And his base price is well below your budget. A number of us on AGF are eagerly awaiting guitars we’ve ordered from him.

Here’s a recent NGD thread that will give you a taste of Jimmy’s work.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=605601

Old 02-28-2021, 08:28 PM

I have a Preston Thompson sinker dred with Adirondack that’s an absolute bluegrass monster. The tone is sort of like Collings but not? Lol sorry it’s hard to describe. It has quite a bit of bass response for a mahogany guitar too. It’s been my favorite guitar I’ve ever owned. I got a deal on it right as covid first hit and before subsequent price bumps in the industry. I think they list about 6k now. On top of the huge sound it’s visually stunning.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Collings builds a beautiful guitar, but they don’t sound like Martin. If you want Martin tone, it’s hard to find a boutique with that same tone. (Small independent luthiers make what you’re looking for, but not in the $5 range.). (Although if it’s vintage 30s Martin you want, I do think PreWar Co should be top of your list.)

Why aren’t you looking at a Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 (discontinued) or D-28 Authentic 1937 or even D-28 Authentic 1941 (discontinued). These guitars are easily on par with the boutiques and have Martin sound. Otherwise, just get a dart board and put Santa Cruz, Collings, Bourgeois, PreWar Co and maybe H&D on there and shoot for something that sounds different from Martin. Still great, but not Martin tone.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here is a nice 2019 Collings D1-T in your price range at Down Home Guitars. Call Steve....he is great to work with! Let him know you got the referral on the AGF from a guy in Hoxeyville MI.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Correct, new ones are $6450. I just bought a new Satin model a couple weeks ago...I now have a 2017 D1AT I'll sell for a reasonable price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Here is a nice 2019 Collings D1-T in your price range at Down Home Guitars. Call Steve....he is great to work with! Let him know you got the referral on the AGF from a guy in Hoxeyville MI.
Thanks, will check it out!
Old 02-28-2021, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

At that point it's really a matter of preference rather than which is best.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the Collings tone, and would lean more towards Bourgeois, SCGC, H&D, Preston Thompson... but, per all the Collings recommendations, it really is just a matter of preference.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion