The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
We agree on the concept, but you're completely ignoring my assumption that in my situation (and for many others), the risks of storing guitars on racks and stands is less risky (or at the very least, no more risky) than leaving them in cases ....
I've been a hanger for nearly 20 years and my biggest ding ever came from a case latch. That doesn't mean no one else should use cases. My experience also does not suggest that everyone else should leave their guitars out. Enjoy.

Cheers
Old 02-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Mr. Paul, exactly. Everyone needs to determine what works best for them.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:37 AM

All of mine stay out year round in Upstate NY. One on a stand in the living room, the other 6 on the wall in the finished basement. No kids, and the dogs ignore them other than an occasional sniff. Now when we have friends dogs over, all go downstairs and the stairs blocked off (their dogs aren't nearly as mellow as ours). 10 years of keeping them out with humidity varying from a high of 60% (Which my Furch's hate) to a low of 23%. Never had a problem. 3 Guilds 2 Furch, 1 Taylor, and a Resonator
Taylor 612CE

Furch 2018LTD (OM)
Furch Rainbow Series Jumbo 12s
Furch Little Jane

McFarland resonator
Old 02-11-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
We agree on the concept, but you're completely ignoring my assumption that in my situation (and for many others), the risks of storing guitars on racks and stands is less risky (or at the very least, no more risky) than leaving them in cases.

My three racks are against walls with no foot traffic, either human or furry. My guitar rack is wedged in a position, where it's surrounded on three sides by stationary furniture and wall, so the only way for it to tip would be if someone/something wedged itself behind the stand and pushed back out (extremely unlikely). And the wall hangers are likewise strategically placed to avoid accidental contact.

Meanwhile, my cases are double-stacked in a closet on the other side of my house, so removing and replacing them would require considerable movement, possibly having to move several unused guitars to gain access to the desired case. My playing area is a sectional with over-stuffed, loose cushions, which can and will push against the case, due to the limited space, increasing the risk of an accident. And I'm certainly not going to open and leave my case on the floor, where my four otherwise indifferent cats would take a much greater interest in the activities of a furry guitar-shaped cat bed.

To your point, if I did it once and nothing happened, that would be great. But I certainly wouldn't walk through that second scenario 365 times each year and expect nothing to happen. Twice was more than enough for me. In fact, my electric guitars are still in cases, which is why they don't get played (installing wall hangers soon).

My point, which I think you missed, is that everyone needs to assess what works best for them. If cases work better for you, then have at it. For others, that's not the case (pun intended).
I completely get your point. I hope you got mine.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-19-2021, 06:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Mr. Paul, exactly. Everyone needs to determine what works best for them.
I gotta say, Vita, I just love being in a room with guitars on all the walls. I guess it's a thing -- for me, at least.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion