The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 05:51 PM

Default Replacing Schertler tuning machine knobs?

Hello AGF!

I'm looking into replacing my stock tuning machines with Schertlers. There's a screaming deal on a set with plastic knobs, but I don't want plastic knobs.

Are there replacement knobs available for under $35, or should I suck it up and spend the extra on the ones that come with ebony knobs?

Thanks for your expertise, oh great forum!
Old 01-26-2021, 08:20 PM

I personally can't stand plastic tuner buttons, especially translucent pearloid. I've replaced the buttons or entire tuners on about 15 instruments.

There are multiple brands used often on acoustic guitars - Kluson, Grover, Gotoh, Schaller, etc. They are most often NOT interchangeable. The roller (shaft) diameter and bushing sizes vary enough that you usually can't change brands and have them "drop in."

You need to know what you currently have, get the dimensions and compare these to the dims on your desired replacements. Carefully removing the existing tuners, reaming out for larger bushings, drilling new holes for the mounting screws - this is not hard but takes tools, skill and patience that not everyone has.

When your replacement bushings are smaller than the originals, sometimes you can build up the OD with layers of superglue. Sometimes you have to plug and re-drill.

Another option is to just replace the buttons. Screw on buttons are easier. Like the tuners, the buttons and shafts are NOT interchangeable. There are a few companies making nice wooden buttons, Charis is one of the best. I've used these guys to get ebony replacements for Grover and Schaller tuners.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Schertlers are incredible, but their footprint is a bit of a nightmare for certain guitars. They have two different widths of ream needed - one for the bushing and one for the housing, which has a protruding collar.

They are not a direct drop in for anyrhing, but are super slick for Taylor’s or anything else with hidden mounting holes, literally anyrhjng with an existing mounting hole won’t work exactly, so you’ll have some leftover holes and a will have to drill new ones assuming your actual ream can handle it.

What do you have that you’re looking at doing this to?

The tuners are worth the effort in some cases, less so in others.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Schertlers are incredible, but their footprint is a bit of a nightmare for certain guitars. They have two different widths of ream needed - one for the bushing and one for the housing, which has a protruding collar.

They are not a direct drop in for anyrhing, but are super slick for Taylor’s or anything else with hidden mounting holes, literally anyrhjng with an existing mounting hole won’t work exactly, so you’ll have some leftover holes and a will have to drill new ones assuming your actual ream can handle it.

What do you have that you’re looking at doing this to?

The tuners are worth the effort in some cases, less so in others.
They're replacing the stock tuners on an Eastman E10D.

I'm well aware of the fun involved with replacing tuning machines. These won't be drop in, for sure! Eastman even glued in the stock bushings for me...

I am puting in Schertlers. I just wanted to know if there's anywhere to get just the knobs/buttons for them.

I'm probably just going to get the ebony versions, and not deal with sourcing replacements for the plastic buttons on a B-stock Schertler.

Here's the cheaper Schertlers I'm talking about, for reference:

https://reverb.com/item/15665238-sch...achines-tuners

I'm just not down for plastic buttons...
Old 01-27-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

The buttons on those tuners wouldn’t concern me in the slightest. The black base plates and shafts, however, are a very different matter...

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-27-2021, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsofekaj View Post
They're replacing the stock tuners on an Eastman E10D.

I'm well aware of the fun involved with replacing tuning machines. These won't be drop in, for sure! Eastman even glued in the stock bushings for me...

I am puting in Schertlers. I just wanted to know if there's anywhere to get just the knobs/buttons for them.

I'm probably just going to get the ebony versions, and not deal with sourcing replacements for the plastic buttons on a B-stock Schertler.

Here's the cheaper Schertlers I'm talking about, for reference:

https://reverb.com/item/15665238-sch...achines-tuners

I'm just not down for plastic buttons...
I have some Schertlers and a bunch of aftermarket buttons. I can try and see what might fit them and I'll let you know.

I was just mentioning the the process for these specific tuners in case you werent't sure or assumed they were friendly like many others - they are most certainly not compared to most other things. On the surface, Schertlers almost look like their footprint and make-up would be close to the many Wavery=ish type of tuners on the market, but they are really dissimilar in every meaningful way - the housing, the screw holes. the extra hump in the post that you can't see, the geographic relationship of the mounting plate to the actual post, etc.

Like I said, I think they are worth it for how nice they work. It's just a bunch of modification that you can't really undo.

I have a couple sets of those all black ones, actually, and the black buttons are very classy, lightweight and feel really nice, they don't feel like cheap plastic like some other brands at all. I think they also fit the darth vader aesthetic mighty nicely with the matte black of everything else.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I have some Schertlers and a bunch of aftermarket buttons. I can try and see what might fit them and I'll let you know.

I was just mentioning the the process for these specific tuners in case you werent't sure or assumed they were friendly like many others - they are most certainly not compared to most other things. On the surface, Schertlers almost look like their footprint and make-up would be close to the many Wavery=ish type of tuners on the market, but they are really dissimilar in every meaningful way - the housing, the screw holes. the extra hump in the post that you can't see, the geographic relationship of the mounting plate to the actual post, etc.

Like I said, I think they are worth it for how nice they work. It's just a bunch of modification that you can't really undo.

I have a couple sets of those all black ones, actually, and the black buttons are very classy, lightweight and feel really nice, they don't feel like cheap plastic like some other brands at all. I think they also fit the darth vader aesthetic mighty nicely with the matte black of everything else.

Oh man, I'm totally into that! It looks great with the black nut, too! Buffalo horn?

Thanks for the review of the plastic, too. I'm still leaning toward wooden, but now I'm not sure if that's worth another 1/3 of the price of something that's already pricey!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh man, I'm totally into that! It looks great with the black nut, too! Buffalo horn?
GraphTech Tusq
Old 01-27-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Hello AGF!

I'm looking into replacing my stock tuning machines with Schertlers. There's a screaming deal on a set with plastic knobs, but I don't want plastic knobs.

Are there replacement knobs available for under $35, or should I suck it up and spend the extra on the ones that come with ebony knobs?

Thanks for your expertise, oh great forum!
Why not just buy new, non B-stock, Schertlers with ebony buttons from StewMac? They are $124.95...if you buy the B-stocks at $89 and spend $35 on buttons (if you can find them), you will have saved...95 CENTS over StewMac's price
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-27-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Why not just buy new, non B-stock, Schertlers with ebony buttons from StewMac? They are $124.95...if you buy the B-stocks at $89 and spend $35 on buttons (if you can find them), you will have saved...95 CENTS over StewMac's price
I straight up asked about that in the post you quoted. If I wanted replies this unhelpful, I'd have asked on reddit.

I guess people just want to see themselves type here, too.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I straight up asked about that in the post you quoted. If I wanted replies this unhelpful, I'd have asked on reddit.

Pump the breaks there, new guy. This isn't that kind of forum. People are trying to be helpful and this person is just agreeing with that option - get what you want the first time and the price is basically a push.

Feel free to re-read the rules for the AGF, but it's not a place to be unpleasant to anyone. Plenty of places on the internet for that.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:57 AM

I was out of line, and I apologize, Jimmy.

I deal with people not reading emails, then asking for information or documents I've sent in the email to which they're replying, causing more work when none is needed. I try my best to communicate correctly the first time, and it's frustrating when people can't be bothered to even look at what I took the time to make sure was there for them. It happens over and over again, and all I can say is "See previous/initial email"

In that mindset, Jimmy's reply was condescending, and I'm not down to be bullied. I replied with annoyance to try to nip that at the bud.

Wrong call, and again, I apologize. Just another case of not reading the whole post and trying to be helpful.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:

My bad. Good luck with your search.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion