The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 05:33 PM

I like American made. I bought one chinese "American " brand, and if you put a straight edge across the top, it was concave. That was the last chinese guitar I will buy. I'm old though, and my last guitar will be finished this Spring, and will arrive in a Hoffee case. I'm through with anything that I won't really enjoy at this point in my life. I'm sure that some very good guitars come out of China. I heard that Ren Ferguson is working on the most advanced guitar plant in the world right now, and it's in China.

Last edited by Wally Taylor; 01-19-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't really matter to me. I'm not a "by golly, made in USA is better" kind of guy. I have a lot of ties to Mexico and the fact that some Taylor's are made there makes them more attractive to me, not less so. As far as Epiphone, I bought an Epiphone Les Paul because it was my first electric and I didn't want to spend a lot to get my feet wet. A friend has a fairly new Gibson Les Paul and I can not tell a difference between the two as far as build is concerned. Considering we are blasting them through a bank of pedals there is no way to determine which guitar itself sounds better. The fact is that both of them sound better when my friend plays them.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-19-2021, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
It doesn't really matter to me. I'm not a "by golly, made in USA is better" kind of guy. I have a lot of ties to Mexico and the fact that some Taylor's are made there makes them more attractive to me, not less so. As far as Epiphone, I bought an Epiphone Les Paul because it was my first electric and I didn't want to spend a lot to get my feet wet. A friend has a fairly new Gibson Les Paul and I can not tell a difference between the two as far as build is concerned. Considering we are blasting them through a bank of pedals there is no way to determine which guitar itself sounds better. The fact is that both of them sound better when my friend plays them.
I kind of agree with you about electrics. Electrics are all about the pickups and how the neck feels. If you can get a MIM or MIC guitar that feels good you could always drop a few hundred bucks and put a set of Lollars or Fralin pickups in and have yourself a killer instrument. There's no shortcut like that with acoustic guitars.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post

So, the Martin Road Series are fantastic guitars potentially, I don't doubt it for a second, but in my brain I don't really consider it a REAL Martin, the REAL Martin to me is built in the U.S.A.
I don't dislike Larrivee because Americans are building them now instead of Canadians, but it's just different in some ways the way I see the company (although in that case the whole company changed locations).
I could buy a Guild Westerly and love it, it could be the best guitar I own and I could absolutely love that it was made in China, giving other people a skilled profession making fine guitars that maybe before didn't have as good of a job (or maybe they're underpaid? Not sure), but I still might look at it with a disclaimer that it's not really a true Guild because it's not made in the 'parent company' location, the country it was birthed in and grown.
You just have irrational beliefs then in my opinion, frankly - but you're obviously entitled to hold them.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:41 AM

Where it is made is just one factor. Typically the original guitars have some premium features and use better materials than their offshore label copies. For me there is also the aspect of who makes the guitars, as you can visit most North American factories and talk with the workers or call and chat with someone on the floor. I own New Hartford built Guilds and Ovations and would not consider a Westerly Series Guild or Celebrity Ovation even though they may be very nice guitars and perfectly capable of doing the job. But if one of the overseas models is all you can reasonably afford then they are very good options.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:46 AM

A guitar is a guitar no mater where is is made.
Pick the one that you can afford and that you like.

Today's import guitars are great and rival the American counterparts.
Don't shy away from a great guitar because of where it was built.

However remember that resale values may not keep up with American built guitars.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
You just have irrational beliefs then in my opinion, frankly - but you're obviously entitled to hold them.
I agree, it is irrational but it's the honest feeling, irrational or not.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
A guitar is a guitar no mater where is is made.
Pick the one that you can afford and that you like.

Today's import guitars are great and rival the American counterparts.
Don't shy away from a great guitar because of where it was built.

However remember that resale values may not keep up with American built guitars.
What he said. And to answer the OPs specific question, no I do not.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I agree, it is irrational but it's the honest feeling, irrational or not.
I have to confess that I feel at home with the ethos of some guitar brands, and not others. But it has nothing to do with where a guitar was built. There are a number of "Made in America" guitars that I tend to ignore, regardless of quality.

It's not particularly rational on my part. Hopefully it's got something to do with tone and feel.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:47 PM

For a lot of people I think it’s a Eurocentric thing. When they say offshore they usually mean Asian made. I don’t get the same sense like it’s applied to Irish guitars or Canadian guitars.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
For instance, I'm still saddened by Larrivee now being made in the U.S instead of Canada where it was birthed and grown, nothing against the U.S though.

I just received my Made in California ex-pat Larrivee...and noticed that the hardshell case is still made in Canada!

Dunno if that helps at all.

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 01-20-2021, 03:02 PM

I've never thought that the Mexican made Martins are near the tonal quality of the American made guitars but they are Martins. It offers a price point that a guitarist who wants to own a Martin can join in the club. For that player it offers pride of Martin ownership with the aspiration to move up to an American made Martin when they have the means.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:08 PM

What is "real" anyway? I just bought a Mexico made Taylor and it is excellent. So is it a "real" Taylor? Sure sounds like one and plays like one. I think the real question is - Does it make me happy?
Old 01-20-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
What is "real" anyway? I just bought a Mexico made Taylor and it is excellent. So is it a "real" Taylor? Sure sounds like one and plays like one. I think the real question is - Does it make me happy?
I find Mexican Taylors sound great and are a great value for the guitar as well. Tone consistency and many have the NT neck.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

To me this whole discussion is a bit a a rabbit hole.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion