The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 11:03 AM

Those common braces that you wrap around the fore arm and keep tight worked for me. I've had it in both arms at the same time and couldn't even pick up a coke can easily. I attributed mine to working on a computer for long periods of time without an ergonomic arrangement.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tags View Post
I'm about 85% a picker, not a strummer. Am I putting too much elbow into my picking?
I can only go by my own personal technique, I play loose with my fretting hand (minimal to no pressure on the frets) and no range of motion with my picking hand, so therefore, my surprise that guitar playing is giving you tennis elbow.

Maybe you are golfing or doing some other sport that is causing this? Not sure.

Here is a link that seems to be pretty informative about guitar technique and Tennis Elbow.

https://tomhess.net/Articles/Princip...ceHygiene.aspx

MGF
Old 09-21-2020, 02:34 PM

I've had it in both elbows, but not from guitar. More from working out and golfing. My suggestion would be to get a compression band when playing and then use a Theraband Flexbar on Amazon and look up exercises on youtube.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:12 PM

Dear God. Switch to keyboards.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
Dear God. Switch to keyboards.
Nah. Gives me carpal-tunnel...
Old 09-22-2020, 01:34 AM

This is worth its weight in gold:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Poi...0759875&sr=8-1

Im a professional therapist and the success I've had with clients and myself alike is astounding. The cause of some pain can be a long way from the site of pain.

Tennis elbow can begin in the neck for example.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A few years ago I was prescribed an antibiotic called Cipro and wasn't advised about the "black box" warning on Cipro about rupturing tendons while on the med. I lifted a monitor speaker and felt and heard what sounded like a screen door spring slapping back in my right (non-dominant) side elbow accompanied by excruciating pain. When I went to the doctor three days later he diagnosed classic tennis elbow. His treatment was self-performed physical therapy accompanied by wearing an elbow band around the clock to anchor the tendons upstream of the injury. It took a few months but with discipline I was able to beat it. It hasn't recurred.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-22-2020, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the insights, everyone. Perhaps this isn't guitar related, though I correlated it with increased playing and there is some right-forearm discomfort when I pick.

Wearing that armband around the clock, doing some stretches, and hopeful it will help. Getting old sucks.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:41 PM

Did a search as I’m having exact symptoms. Very slight on fretting side but pretty **** painful on right side. Probably combination of computer and over practicing? Never thought about sleep position and now that’s on the list of possible causes thanks to this thread. I’ve been wearing this band in my arm for about a week. Not improving much. I typically pick up my guitar constantly throughout the day and now that work/COVID life relief is missing. Salt in the wound I’m supposed to treat a case of GAS but now have second thoughts. Sucks all the way around.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:20 PM

I get it at the beginning of motorcycle riding season (from working the levers and doing stoppies). My friend swears doubling up on Vitamin A does the trick. Rest works best for me.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G String View Post
This is worth its weight in gold:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Poi...0759875&sr=8-1

Im a professional therapist and the success I've had with clients and myself alike is astounding. The cause of some pain can be a long way from the site of pain.

Tennis elbow can begin in the neck for example.
Found it. Download

https://qy57n5xybh.pdcdn5.top/dl2.ph...therapy%20book
Old 01-21-2021, 11:48 AM

I used a green twist flex resistance bar for tennis elbow (racquetball, actually) and it really helped - eventually. Sorry, I can't remember the brand. They had different colors for different levels of resistance.

The guitar never bothered my elbow. You might want to explore different postures/techniques for your playing.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-21-2021, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

FWIW:
I have had that experience with my fretting elbow.
YouTube has tons of videos about "guitar elbow/tennis elbow" stretches you can do before playing. An old professional fiddle player showed me some also....it worked without meds for me.
In my case, I learned getting old is not for sissies.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:18 PM

When this happened to me a while ago, I took a break for a few days or maybe a week or so. If it was still there when I come back, I extended my break a little bit. I didn't avoid playing altogether, just kept it to a minimum and stopped if I felt anything weird. I also took it easy at while I was working, as my job(s) can be pretty physical sometimes. I gradually got back to a normal pace and I haven't had issues since.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:41 PM

I've struggled with "tennis elbow", both from playing tennis and also from over practicing on guitar and piano. I finally went to see a physical therapist a couple years ago. She took a measurement of the angle of my wrist and prescribed some exercises and a special brace. The brace really seemed to do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEDGVOM...roduct_details

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion