The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Wow sad but inevitable. Froggy Bottom guitars are some the best sounding guitars I've played!! I can't say enough good about how they sound. They are one of those brands that blend vintage tone really well with modern tone like no other. Usually the only other brand I place on the same level is Goodall.

I'm glad the FB brand will continue on!!

I've been wondering what the plan is for Richard Hoover at SCGC.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-01-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Wow sad but inevitable. Froggy Bottom guitars are some the best sounding guitars I've played!! I can't say enough good about how they sound. They are one of those brands that blend vintage tone really well with modern tone like no other. Usually the only other brand I place on the same level is Goodall.

I'm glad the FB brand will continue on!!

I've been wondering what the plan is for Richard Hoover at SCGC.
I believe that question about Richard Hoover came up shortly after the passing of Bill Collings, and I recall that he said a succession plan is already well established. Besides, Hoover seems to be more an ambassador these days than actually involved in the day to day as someone like Dana Bourgeois is.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-01-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
OP Here. I didn't find prices for the Anniversary models anywhere, but I think that they should have no problem selling Michael's last 16 guitars with his finest materials for 30k each.

If I had the scratch for a newly commissioned Froggy I would certainly be tempted if the upcharge wasn't huge. As soon as I saw them I showed my wife - she confirmed the fact that I am definitely NOT in the market! Ha!

I suspect the starting point on these Anniversary guitars will be in the ballpark of 30K base, and then higher depending on the custom options you want added, so I imagine there will be some of them that will be optioned out at 40K to 50K range.

Definitely worth it if you have the loot to spend.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-01-2020, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
Andy and Eric have been making a large portion of the guitars already. How would you be able to tell which ones were made by which member of the team?
Sometimes you just know

Old 01-01-2020, 04:35 PM

This was inevitable.

There are others who can make guitars as good as Michael Millard, but no one who can make a better guitar. The best Froggy Bottom guitars have a true magical shimmer to them that always make my knees weak.

The 50th anniversary guitars are going to be insane. I love the fact that they bringing back the engraved ivory scrimshaws for these guitars!

I'm confident Michael is leaving FB in good enough hands (sic).
Old 01-02-2020, 04:47 PM

Will the post Millard's bring more or less? Think: what happened at Collings?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
.... I imagine there will be some of them that will be optioned out at 40K to 50K range. Definitely worth it if you have the loot to spend.
Okay. I'll bite. How do you figure "definitely worth" 40-50 thousand dollars? I'm curious. If I thought a guitar was worth that I would run out and buy any of several great luthier's guitars at, or pushing, that amount. I'm not sure that any guitar could possibly be worth that kind of coin. Not even for a collector. I've got the cash - sell me on why it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
If he didn't announce his retirement I wonder if anyone would notice a difference in the instruments? ... Has anyone noticed a change in Collings guitars since Bill Collings demise?
Not really the same thing. Bill Collings wasn't "making" guitars. He was running a moderately-sized guitar factory. So, with all his employees making guitars, nothing has changed. FB is a small fraction of the size of Collings. Does that mean Michael is closer to the build process? I don't know. Do you?

Changes in thought, concept, philosophy may occur. New minds running the company but construction quality changes? Probably not.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
It's the old adage, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." Steve
Ha. No. The reason people who can afford it, can afford it, is that they ask how much and don't spend money that's either unwise or unnecessary.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Will the post Millard's bring more or less? Think: what happened at Collings?
See above photos. Don't think the situation is the same.

However, if the luthiers taking over the Froggy Bottom operation can produce guitars with identical attributes -- which, after all these years, is likely -- then there may be no difference in price.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

From what I remember Michael Millard for the last 20+ years has been involved in building pretty much every aspect of the box of all the instruments. He had other guys that did things like setup, finish and inlays but as far as the Froggy sound it was Michael. That being said I think Eric Goodenough has been with Michael building since the 80s. The brand will be in good hands.

I have a feeling a lot of the people posting on this thread have never played a Froggy Bottom guitar. Pickup a red spruce over rosewood H12 or D12 then come back and we'll hear the wows and rave of the glories of the Froggy Magic tone heard!! I have nothing but complete respect for this brand. All of the 10+ or so I've played have been very special instruments. Any guitar builder that can maintain an average price for their guitars like Froggy has, doesn't have anything to prove for sure.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

Last edited by SuperB23; 01-02-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
OP Here. I didn't find prices for the Anniversary models anywhere, but I think that they should have no problem selling Michael's last 16 guitars with his finest materials for 30k each.
Man, that's insane...
Old 01-02-2020, 08:41 PM

My understanding was that the other workere did other parts of th build but Millard was solely responsible for the voicing and tbe necks if my memory serves me right.

If this is true or still true, then there would be a possibly huge effect if millard retires - you don't replace 50 years of voicing experience so easily. It could even be argued that the tonality of the froggy IS Michael Miller's sound so how do you replace that:?
Old 01-02-2020, 08:47 PM

So pretty much no one has seen a price which was my point from the beginning. BTW, asking what something costs does not mean you can't afford it, just curious as I could not find it anywhere and the OP and the second or third poster commented on price and I was curious.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
So pretty much no one has seen a price which was my point from the beginning. BTW, asking what something costs does not mean you can't afford it, just curious as I could not find it anywhere and the OP and the second or third poster commented on price and I was curious.
It’s my understanding that it depends on what you ask for in the guitar. But $20k+ would be realistic. Of course, there’s no stopping a buyer from adding on. I believe there are only 5 or 6 slots still available.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 01-02-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I was commenting that the regular production guitars increased in price (about 10%, all listed on the website) despite Michaels retiring. I don’t believe the Anniversary guitars are priced yet. Personally, given how many hundreds of Frogs over the years were made with scrimshaw and Carson engraving, I don’t find them that compelling. Collectors may differ.

As far as Michael’s involvement, I can say from my own build last year that he selected the top (a heavy winter grain) to pair with the b/s, bridge size, etc and constructed the whole box.

When you bought a Frog, Michael’s expertise and experience was always the main selling point, not the facility, tools, special woods, or anything else.

I don’t know how involved Bill, Dana, Preston or Richard were/are in the actual construction of their guitars, and at their typical prices, I probably wouldnt care. But I think probably most buyers spending over $10k are buying not just sound but a luthier they know and have confidence in, especially in a custom build.
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion