The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Most important to who exactly?

I would say that many younger people are rediscovering the classic acts that influenced the generations above them these days. Of course song writers have more staying power than strictly virtuoso players so I'll throw in a few.. Jim Croce (Maury Muehleisen), Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, etc.

During the last few years the boom in Americana bands has really helped and resulted in a few hits. Avett Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show, Houndmouth, Leon Bridges, The Devil Makes Three, and many others are definitely influencing players..

I think that with the culture as it is today people are finding as much influence from the classics as they do from modern music. Someone my age or older may be bored out of their mind to hear some of the old staples because you've heard it so much before, but when the kids hear someone like Woody Guthrie for the first time, it really can make quite the impression and I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the older folks because of it.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post

In the future.....probably Billy Strings. His talent is way beyond most players, so he is getting stage time, and attracting attention to the guitar in general.
He certainly has an energy and bravado that gets attention. Especially for being so young!

Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Who do you think are the most important acoustic players today?
Who do you think are the most important players taking the acoustic guitar forward?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
Well, probably because the thread was about players TODAY and you're putting Clapton and Kottke into the mix. If we're all hopping in the way back machine for a ride why not make a pit stop in the 16th and 17th century?
Oh, ok. I get it - reductio ad absurdum....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-14-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:02 PM

Probably the best way to find out is to see who gets covered the most on Youtube and by what age group.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:06 PM

When old/dead people are mentioned, Bert Jansch should be mentioned of course.

For younger ones my vote goes to Laura Marling even if probably more for songwriting than playing guitar, but hey, she got the lyrics right.

”Who do you think you are?
Just a girl that can play guitar”
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM

I don't know about "player's players", as I haven't yet got past Bert Jansch, but the likes of Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran would be top of my list for recruiting new players, at least in the western world.

Here in Oz, the acoustic guitar features quite strongly in the character of one of the young cast members in the "Neighbours" soapie. He is a chick magnet, so that might be having an impact. Is there anything comparable elsewhere?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
...snip... Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran would be top of my list for recruiting new players, at least in the western world. ...snip...
Just to reinforce all the Taylor Swift nominations in the thread - This is great, and really great for the instrument (though I bet Taylor Guitars isn't thrilled about this video considering their long association with her. )

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspoel View Post
When old/dead people are mentioned, Bert Jansch should be mentioned of course.
Our posts must have crossed. I'm currently working on a couple of his songs, he seemed to have had the reflexes of a snake, or maybe even a mongoose.

It has just ocurred to me that the talent shows might also have an influence, and Taylor seems to be providing guitars for some of these
Old 11-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Love these types of threads - so many great artists to check out!

I'll throw Ryan Adams out there as well - his acoustic solo stuff you can dig up on YouTube is as good as it gets (to me) today. Similar to Isbell in some ways, he just gets so much out of simple chords, is a world-class songwriter and is better live than in studio.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Soïg Sibéril. Saw him again in a small venue a few days ago. Great playing!
Yes, yes, yes! One of my personal favorites, Soïg is a phenomenal player and composer. Had Tony McManus teach us one of his tunes at Boxwood this past summer. I also am in awe of many other Breton guitarists including Gilles Le Bigot and Nicholas Quemener!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobie View Post
Tony McManus, a virtuoso player and always challenging the instrument and where it sits in the acoustic realm.
Completely agree. One of the finest Celtic guitarists of all time.

Just listen to this!

https://youtu.be/HwZ5bxY5gTw
Old 11-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Two virtuoso guitarists that I've yet to see mentioned, Laurence Juber and the late great John Renbourn. Juber is a phenomenal player and also a great arranger. He's got some great material in print out there and can be seen periodically at a lot of venues. Renbourn has left a tremendous legacy of printed material and performances that should be included in any guitarist repertoire.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:40 PM

WOW! never heard of Molly Tuttle or Julian Lage. WOW! i'd like to see either one come around here in concert.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Just to reinforce all the Taylor Swift nominations in the thread - This is great, and really great for the instrument (though I bet Taylor Guitars isn't thrilled about this video considering their long association with her. )

For sure she's likely influenced many a young woman to pick up a guitar, but as far as being a talented guitar player, she's got a long, long way to go. I can't even figure out what tuning that guitar is in. Maybe 3 chords in her repertoire? One would need more inspiration than Taylor Swift to move from a novice to intermediate player.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
...snip...One would need more inspiration than Taylor Swift to move from a novice to intermediate player.
I don't disagree with this at all. However, I also think that a novice player can be remarkably "important" for the advancement of the instrument. Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan are excellent examples.

Actually (and I realize this will really be taboo here on the AGF), I would argue that extreme technical prowess is actual intimidating and off-putting to non and new players, and is therefore actually counter-productive to the general popularity of the instrument.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion