The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
As a slight thread hijack, I don't think you all get out enough.

I've owned a couple of great Yairis, and played a few more. Having wandered into more pawnshops and flea markets and swap meets than I can remember, I would not look at the best used Yairi on the planet if it were priced over $200, and would not consider buying it if priced over $125.

There are HUNDREDS of equal quality used guitars out there....well made, good sounding instruments with little or no name cachet.
I would have to disagree with this. There are no $200 guitars out there are as nice as the upper-end Yairis. Not even close. The best Yairis cost in the $2,000-$3,000 range and are comparable with other well-regarded brands in those ranges.

I owned a couple of higher-end Yairis at one point. They were very nice guitars. The only reason why I didn't keep them is the string spacing was slightly too narrow for my preferences.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:27 PM

I agree that the Alvarez name is unfortunate. I refer to my DYMR70SB as a Yairi.. I let its tone speak for itself. It doesn't take a backseat to anything.

I see the used prices of AYs inching up.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:30 AM

There's no current "story" about these. Nothing along the lines of "Once upon a time a lone luthier set out to make a better acoustic....and now 50 years later YOU can play one that comes from that line of craftmanship."
Old 02-09-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Bought this Yairi 6 or 7 years ago used for $450. An absolute steal for what it is, probably the best production wood Doubleneck acoustic ever made. K. Yairi was a gifted luthier.

Here's a good example of them "holding their value". Doubleneck says he paid 450 for this double neck (DY87) in roughly 2005. That guitar is now trading for roughly 3500 when they come up.

All of the higher end Yairi's seem to be doing fine price wise. There are some sellers out there asking crazy money for some average stuff but the higher end models are holding their own.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=james84;3194191]The only famous person I've seen using one is Thom Yorke in the late 90s, a DY88:

Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir played them and had signature models. They were nice guitars. A later Jerry-endorsed model was a lacewood jumbo. When I was on the hunt for my first great acoustic, I played one and was seriously disappointed. I don't know if it was just this example, but I had heard great things about lacewood and wanted a jumbo or mini-jumbo, and this one just didn't do it for me.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:39 AM

Good question. I had an early 70s D28 copy that really sounds great. I mean really good! After upgrading, I could only get $400 out of it. I was bummed but that’s the market.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1971 View Post
I've noticed that Yairi's just don't hold there value
on the used market. Even the Masterworks line that
is all solid and high end. I personally love they way
the DYM95Sb looks and sounds. What gives?
I believe that holds true for most of the guitars that are made in Japan.

Not that your getting a lower quality instrument, it's just based on demand.

I have always looked at it as I can buy a great sounding instrument at a better price.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

The OP was in 2012 but I'll chime in since I think things have changed a bit. I love Yairis and always have my eyes open and it seems to me that since Kazuo Yairi's death a few years ago that Yairis have jumped in value, at least the used ones. I bought a DY-45 (one of their basic and more plentiful models) about 10 years ago for about $400 and then sold it a few years later for about the same and now I see them going for about $800 on Reverb.

Rob
Old 02-09-2022, 06:09 PM

I’ve got a DY57 sunburst, bought new in 1977. Still sounds great, neck is straight, no reset needed. I did have frets dressed, and added a K&K pickup. Still sounds better than my Martin, Emerald, and custom local luthier guitars.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:14 PM

Default Fact vs. Opinion Yairi's are The Real Thing!

H165 has an illusion regarding the fine craftsmanship that goes into every Yairi. Even the Alvarez brand from entry level to Masterworks are far above many "big name" manufacturers of like price and wood type. But the Yairi's, even after Kazuo's death, are still one of the best made acoustics in the market.

Now, there is a difference between "opinion" and "fact".
I own two 2019 Martin OMCE Blue Edge Burst LTD to 50, I own #33 and #36. I also own a 2021 Takamine LTD Blue Rose, a Gibson J-45 and Martin 0M-15 Streetmaster. Then we get to my Yairi's, 12 to date. I have played with numerous friends and family who own all the above manufacturers.

In terms of sound, the articulation of Rosewood/solid and the proprietary lamination process that Kazuo invented using laminate pieces from the exact same solid wood backs, is legend in the guitar making world. I have put my DY 84BR, EIR, Mahogany, DY 40 CBK-E, DY 90's 3, DY 95N, DY 80'12 Canyon Creek Coral RW, DY 52 Canyon Creek Coral Rosewood up against like guitars from Taylor, with their screwed in necks, Martin, not mine, and Takamine, Gibson, Guild D-55 which I have a Rare 2007 Honey Burst Mint Color and Condition. They all have a different sound even with the same guitar model
such as my DY 90's, one 1978, two 1989.

To say that you would not pay $150 or $125 in a swap/pawn shop is, well, your opinion. Your statement is not based on any factual comparison or detailed reasoning regarding the manufacturing or comparison of any other maker.

My 44 years of playing has included so many makers I can't remember them all. What I can remember, and seven of them are right behind me as I write this. When writing or figuring out a song I always reach for one of my Yairi's. Yes, they are lost in the big name game, big price tag guitars that are just that. Big name and over priced! Now a D 28, HD28, 41,42 or 45 Martin will make the hair stand up on your back. My D-55 Guild will do the same. And all my Yairi's, in all the wood types I have, are consistently superior to others I own of the same. I have a **** good ear, play by ear and never saw a piece of sheet music that I liked. What I do know is I will put my Yairi's above any other like wood, dreadnaught/sloped shoulder acoustic any day and twice on Sundays.

But, this is my opinion based on fact.
Yairi DY 95N "Tree of Life" Brazilian
Yairi DY 84 BR
Yairi DY 84 EIR
Yairi DY 80/12 Coral Rosewood
Yairi DY 91 Koa
Yairi DY 40C BKE
Guild D-55
2 Martin OMCE "Blue Edge Burst" CS
1 Martin OM-15 Streetmaster
1 Takamine 2021 "Blue Rose" LTD

Last edited by dnf777; 06-25-2022 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Minor political infraction
Old 06-25-2022, 01:17 PM

Correct. One seller on Reverb is asking $3000 for is and they are RARE and a remarkable build and sound like nothing else!
Yairi DY 95N "Tree of Life" Brazilian
Yairi DY 84 BR
Yairi DY 84 EIR
Yairi DY 80/12 Coral Rosewood
Yairi DY 91 Koa
Yairi DY 40C BKE
Guild D-55
2 Martin OMCE "Blue Edge Burst" CS
1 Martin OM-15 Streetmaster
1 Takamine 2021 "Blue Rose" LTD
Old 06-25-2022, 01:57 PM

It seems prices for Yairi’s have risen over the years but are still affordable. I recently picked up a 1972 SADA made by Sadao for $300. It’s a YD-302, or D-28 copy. Beautifully made and a great player. I hope their prices remain affordable.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:03 PM

Yairi makes incredible guitars but the headstock doesn't say Martin, Taylor or Gibson so the general brand name guitar buyer population who have absolutely no idea what they are spending their big bucks on simply don't get it. For those in the know who have the confidence of real world experience they understand that you trust your own ears over the manufacturers ad hype. For those who aren't in the know it's not about specs or build quality it's about human mentality and the need to be accepted. It's like Pt Barnum said. "There's a sucker born every minute".

Last edited by PAPADON; 06-25-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been really tempted by Yairi lately. There are some very unique models, lots of variety, but only if you’re willing to purchase from Japanese shops on reverb. Seems like mainly dreads in the US used market. I’m talking about older Yairis, not ones being sold new now.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1971 View Post
I've noticed that Yairi's just don't hold there value
on the used market. Even the Masterworks line that
is all solid and high end. I personally love they way
the DYM95Sb looks and sounds. What gives?
Any guitar not being a part of the big brands, especially American ones, will have a hard time holding its value on the used market, regardless of how great instruments they may build.

One of the biggest examples of this is G&L. G&L makes fabulous instruments, very much updated versions of Fender guitars and the company was founded by none other than Leo Fender and George Fullerton. . . but they're not Fender. And no matter how good they are, they will always be considered as Fender clones and their resale value is quite low.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion