The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2020, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Six View Post
All of my guitar (and other instrument) needs are fulfilled, but fantasies are a different matter.
I totally agree with this by Twin Six.

Sometimes I send my self to sleep at night, imagining ordering custom instruments by certain makers built EXACTLY to my requirements, and to rationalise and replace all that I have now.

There would be less.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm really not affected much by G.A.S. - I pretty much only buy what I need when I need it and oft times sell it for a profit after the project is complete (usually a theater run). I don't hoard guitars - I have two Sitka/mahogany steel strings (Martin/Brook) and just bought an Alhambra 9P cedar classical to replace the Godin Multiac that I'm selling (hint...hint...). Other than those, I only have Telecasters that I build myself so they don't really count. I'm pretty much content.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

No way! Like a few others, my needs are currently filled and I want for nothing. No GAS. I'm not a collector mostly because I don't have the time, money or space for any sort of collection. I generally 'need' two - something to gig with and a backup for that. I'm at three which is on the heavy side since right now we are not gigging. But I like what I have and I'm neither looking to buy or sell.

HOWEVER, since we're engaging in fantasy which is always fun, I can say that IF I did have the time, money and space then I'm certain that I would fast become a collector of some very fine guitars. Right out of the gate I'm sure I would add the following:

Froggy Bottom H14 Brazilian (or some variation)
Lowden S50 Redwood over African Blackwood
Martin 00-17 Authentic
Martin 00-30 Authentic
Custom Doerr Trinity build
Custom Hatcher Penelope build
Birth-year Martin
McPherson of some type

And I'm quite sure I'd start dipping my toe into the vintage Martin minefield!

And that would just be the beginning! I'm sure I'd be buying a lot of guitars that show up here and on Reverb just to try them out.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:59 AM

I honestly thought I was done since I did not buy any of the last three or four brand new guitars I tried
and had recently found a nice used La Patrie Concert I had always craved for.
So, as a proud owner of remarkable Gibson L-OO TV and L-1 1928 Blues tribute, as well as a 2014 Martin OOO-18, a Guild F-30 Aragon, Larriveees L-03 koa and OM-09, a few Taylors (322, 412ce and 510), a tricone and some other fine but less expensive guitars, as I wrote, I thought I was done... until a nice guy with great moustache made his cinema here about his new Eastman E40OO which he dared show besides some other great guitars he owns.
My wife now fears the worse since she caught me lurking toward Eastman E20OO/p, Collings OM/OO, Santa Cruz H13/OM/PW and some other nearby seven to ten grans beauties. I did promise I am only dreaming how any of these would sound great in my house could ever Santa hear my prayers, but she answered she KNOWS about my only way to ease an obsession... :-/
So, OK ! Thanks for this opportunity write down my dreams as I do not have any money for a new and expenive guitar as we plan to move next Spring...
P.S. Wrote a note about these dream guitars in my agenda by July 2021...
Old 10-31-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Have you fulfilled yours?
After years of buying and selling, I'm there! I got the guitars of my dreams....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-31-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Six View Post
All of my guitar (and other instrument) needs are fulfilled, but fantasies are a different matter.
Agreed. My aim was to have high end guitars, six and 12 acoustics, archtop and classical, when I retired and would have more time to spread around different instruments and different styles. Unfortunately, health problems induced me to retire sooner than I had planned and also have interfered with my playing. I am now getting back to more normal condition and will have more time and energy to play. Unfortunately, having missed playing for about five years, it will take me a while to get back in shape, but at least I have the instruments to do so.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:24 AM

I have four, kind of across the spectrum and they're more than enough. The Martin and the Southern Jumbo I bought new, the other two used, I just saw them and had to have them. I'm pretty happy with them but there's a couple of Collings I've tried throughout the years that if I had the cash I would have bought on the spot- a Maple CJ and D1 Traditional- I think though if I had done that I'd be sleeping outside
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 10-31-2020, 08:27 AM

J-Doug, what beautiful guitars!

Have I fulfilled my guitar fantasies? I am so fortunate to have the guitars I have. My fantasies may include a Somogyi and numerous other beautiful guitars out of my price range but they are not necessary to make me fortunate.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Maybe I'm gettin old ? But honestly I don't really have guitar fantasies and maybe never did.

And acknowledging that there is a fair amount of diversity here on AGF (a very good thing) So. while I completely appreciate the art and craft that goes into making great guitars, for me they have always been more of a means to an end (making music) rather than the guitars being the end in and of themselves.

So I have (for a good 15 years ) the 3 acoustic guitars that I want.
And having gotten back into electric some 4 years ago come November I also have as of this spring, the two electrics I want . So I'm pretty satisfied .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-31-2020, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm pretty well set, but I wouldn't mind one more.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:06 AM

I have several decent guitars that I really like, but nothing that anyone would call spectacular. However, the real truth for me is this: I'm happy every time I play. I haven't bought a guitar in almost 3 years, even though I could. That tells me more me more about my guitar situation than all the analyzing and speculating I could do about it. I think all guitar players look at what's out there - that's what we do, and never say never. But for now I'm standing pat and using what I have, happily.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I guess I've never really had "guitar collection fantasies". When I was young I had a D-28 and a Strat and that was it for about 25 years. A few years ago, when I first started playing again after a long layoff, I went through a few guitars trying to find what worked for me this time around. But I settled on another strat and after briefly owning a few Martins and a couple of Emeralds, I've settled on a Martin CEO-7 for my acoustic.

There was a time when I had three electrics and two acoustics, but it was never about having multiple guitars - it was just about exploring options until I knew my preferences for this second extended round of guitar playing. I actually kind of hated having multiples of each because I spent too much time thinking about which to play or doing A-B comparisons and too little time just trying to play music. I'm very happy with one electric and one acoustic as long as they're the RIGHT ones. I actually have a second electric that I enjoy on occasion (SG with P90s), but I play the strat 90% of the time or more - it's my overwhelming #1. And when I've had an acoustic that ticked all of my (very limited) boxes, having more than that just felt like unnecessary hassle. I like the CEO-7 so much in every respect I don't know what I'd do with another one...

-Ray
Old 10-31-2020, 09:30 AM

I'm past the fantasy stage.
I have everything I need and they are all midline
Instruments. Buying up would only add 5% sound increase
W /multiple thousands in expenses
Old 10-31-2020, 09:39 AM

It's funny, every time I think I need another or a different guitar, I pull out what I have now and I find I'm really satisfied with what I have.

I'm not a collector, but after finding AGF I found myself wanting this or that guitar because of the glowing recommendations from forum members. Until just a few years ago, I never spent more than $500 on a guitar which made searching for and ultimately buying "other-than-dread" guitars that much easier.

However, once I bought my Gibson J15, I realized I'd found THE ONE and my searching pretty much ended. My 2 Martins came about because of unique circumstances of which I took immediate advantage.

I believe I'm set but when I start to get the itch I just pull out one of my guitars and the wanderlust just disappears.

Best,
PJ

Last edited by Photojeep; 01-23-2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2020, 11:29 AM
Guest 33123

Thanks for all the great responses guys! I enjoyed reading them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion