The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 01:00 AM

Default My experience with strengthening my nails

My nails have always been kind of strong
But sometimes there would be a small tear in the nail (that occasional chip) that just made it break when i was strumming more aggresively.

I decided to take care of them even more , so I started -

1. Using olive oil.
Sometimes I soak my nails in olive oil for a few minutes, and massage the nail and the oil around the nail. I heard this also helps them grow faster (if breakage happened)
When they are the right size, I just put them there for a few seconds.
It helps them stay moist and not break and chip from dryness.
I do my best applying the oil after I have been in water (shower/river etc)
I apply it daily, rinse with water, and dry a bit with a towel. The oil still stays on the nail, but not to a level that will disturb you.
2. Biotin 600.
Started taking those for experimentation . So far so good!
3. Using a glove for wasing dishes
Yep. Started protecting my hand from the dish soap , and also from more water invading my nails.

So far my nails are stronger than before!
I think that the olive oil tip is the most helpful one for me (as I already had relatevly strong nails before).

Hope these help!
Old 06-24-2021, 04:56 AM

I’ll have to try the olive oil and the Biotin.

I take Vitamin E (helps some), use gloves when washing the dishes (i never used gloves for the first 60 years of my life), and try to use my left hand for more and more functions/tasks. I also file my nails every couple of days to make sure they don’t get very long, leaving just enough to accent the tone of plucked notes a bit.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

The older I get the weaker my nails. Don't know if it is due to age. Or maybe the meds I take.

Damaging nails while strumming? Yeah, it happens. Have ripped them to the point of bleeding in the past.

I rarely use a pick with my acoustics anymore.

Down stroke uses the top of my fingers. Up stroke uses the back of my thumb.

This way I can alternate back and forth between strumming and finger picking.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:18 AM

I have quite weak nails unfortunately and they seem to be getting weaker as I age, despite taking all the usual precautions. I take a skin, hair and nails supplement everyday, but honestly I don't know if it makes any difference.
The one thing that I find does help is called "Barielle" nail strengenthing cream. It's a pain for me to obtain it here in Ireland (it has to come from NY) but it should be easy enough for you guys and well worth trying. You have to apply it diligently every day and it takes a while to work, but I really notice a difference in my nails if I can't get any for a while.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
The older I get the weaker my nails. Don't know if it is due to age. Or maybe the meds I take.

Damaging nails while strumming? Yeah, it happens. Have ripped them to the point of bleeding in the past.

I rarely use a pick with my acoustics anymore.

Down stroke uses the top of my fingers. Up stroke uses the back of my thumb.

This way I can alternate back and forth between strumming and finger picking.
This is very similar to the way I play....
I put several coats of Essie Nail Hardener....works great.
Remove every week or so let the nails breath.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 06-24-2021, 12:11 PM

I gave up and went with acrylics. A bit tacky, but it also helps with fact that my nails naturally "hook" at the ends, and gives me a thin, plucky tone. The acrylics don't have that problem.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
I gave up and went with acrylics. A bit tacky, but it also helps with fact that my nails naturally "hook" at the ends, and gives me a thin, plucky tone. The acrylics don't have that problem.
I tried acrylic nails for a couple of years and they were great, but underneath my own nails were suffering and it took a long while for them to recover.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:11 PM

+1 for olive oil. makes them much more resistant to cracks and chips.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 06-24-2021, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
Exactly. Me too. My salon closed during covid so I went back to finger picks and Alaska Piks, but I finally gave in and bought the stuff to do gel nails at home. They fell off after about 3 days so I was obviously doing something wrong. Now I am back to acrylics. Way better.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:27 PM

Biotin has helped keep my nails on my fretting hand from splitting and cracking.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-24-2021, 06:27 PM

Acrylics for me. I have naturally weak nails and playing with them has never been possible. After 12 months of acrylic nails, no bad effects at all. Some detail on the pros and cons,which I hope people will find useful is here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=618619
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:40 PM

I just use my finger tips with just the smallest amount of nail support. I recently experimented with growing them out a little and did that for a month or so until one broke. Now I'm back to finger tips. It works well amplified, which is mainly how I play.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:05 PM

I also used to have strong nails but as I've grown older, they've become quite thin. I tried the Biotin stuff but it didn't do a thing for me.

I've simply tried to keep them really short so they don't get in the way of normal everyday activities but I still manage to get a split which necessitates clipping that one even shorter. Luckily they grow pretty quickly but never any stronger...

For those using olive oil, how much do you apply and how often? Any other details?

Thanks,
PJ
Old 06-24-2021, 08:28 PM

I've settled on LED/UV gel acrylics I can put on myself. They typically last 2-3 weeks before they start lifting off. When I think they're close to coming off themselves, I take them off and replace them.

My nails aren't weak or brittle, but they are pretty thin.

I take biotin as well, which helps a bit, I think. Mostly, it seems to let me be a little more aggressive with roughing them up so the gel sticks well.

I can wash my hands, but I try not to leave my hands wet for any longer than necessary (or they'll come off sooner). I wear a nitrile glove in the shower. It's a bit of a PITA, but I love the tone I get.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I also used to have strong nails but as I've grown older, they've become quite thin. I tried the Biotin stuff but it didn't do a thing for me.

I've simply tried to keep them really short so they don't get in the way of normal everyday activities but I still manage to get a split which necessitates clipping that one even shorter. Luckily they grow pretty quickly but never any stronger...

For those using olive oil, how much do you apply and how often? Any other details?

Thanks,
PJ
I apply it daily.
I poured some olive oil into a small bowl , and I just dip my fingernails in it.
I heard that a few minutes there is realy good and nourishing for the nails.
Thats how I feel anyways !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion