The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2021, 07:18 PM

Smile New Taylor- Humidity questions

So I have always played a strat..20 yrs ago or so I had a few acoustics An ovation and a yamaha yet never worried too much about humidity and never had any issues with it. ( Lived in San Diego) . Well I just bought my first Taylor 214 CE Plus Should arrive in a few days. I am now living in Sacramento and right now it gets very hot and dry.( last wk it hit 110 for a few days) High 80's to low 100's usually and averages around 26 % Humidity this time of yr. What do you all do to keep it right for your guitar and what do you recommend? Sweetwater has an article that rec's around 45% . Please school me !!!
Old 06-23-2021, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF. While 45 is the recommended humidity for guitars, your new guitar has "layered" back and sides which are much less susceptible to issues with damage from low humidity. There are many commercially available devices for guitar humidity control, but many of us simply use a wet sponge inside an enclosed plastic soap dish drilled with holes. Keep the soap dish and guitar inside the case when not in use. Congrats on your new Taylor - enjoy...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-24-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:51 PM

Thank you for the input! I will try that and probably pick up a Hygrometer.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzibear View Post
Thank you for the input! I will try that and probably pick up a Hygrometer.
Yes, definitely get a hygrometer. The humidity inside your house can be quite different from that outside, unless you leave the windows open, which I'm guessing you don't when its 110F. There are several inexpensive choices on Amazon. Search the forums for suggested hygrometers. Govee and SensorPush are a couple of popular ones.

If you decide to leave the guitar out in a room that can be closed off from the rest of the house you can also find suggestions for room humidifiers in the forums. Vornado and Aircare are good examples.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-23-2021, 08:29 PM

I have a number of acoustics, and maybe just as many different kinds of humidifying systems. I have a "guitar room" in which I have a humidifier that I fill every day. But for the guitars I keep out, I use one of a variety of in-guitar humidifiers.

The one I've come to like best - enough to have bought more after the first - is the PET-1 by Prolix Music. Unlike other solutions, this one doesn't require distilled water, lasts longer, is made in the USA (patent pending), and is guaranteed.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:31 PM

Here's what I use in the winter. It humidifies and is a hygrometer. That said, as of late in my area the house temp and humidity is just right so I hang the guitar on the wall as I get tired up opening and closing the guitar case.

https://www.amazon.com/Oasis-Combo-O...94141744&psc=1
Old 06-23-2021, 09:18 PM

Digital hygrometer for $7. If humidity gets out of range of 40-50%, buy a 3-pack of D'addario Humidipaks for $20 and put them in the case.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:38 PM

Sweetwater also sells Boveda humidity packs for slightly cheaper than the HumidiPaks.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:52 PM

Like a lot of acoustic players I have a music room with a humidity and temp reading on the wall plus one in every case. The sponge is my go to in the winter here in the northeast mountains. The humidity packs are good however I had one leak that was in the soundhole of a Guild jumbo. Good thing it was in a baggie I had poked holes in around the top. The sponge for me works the best.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:14 PM

Thanks you all for the very informative posts! Much appreciated!! And thank you for the welcome to the forums.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Ive had good luck with the D’Addario humidipaks. I usually add a Herco to each order, so I have a bunch of them laying around, and put one or two in each case.

One word of caution- whatever method you use, make sure you dont have water or excess moisture contacting wood! I had an Oasis leak once, fortunately on finished (poly) surface, and caught it early before any damage done.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-24-2021, 02:15 PM

Hey Rozzi, like mentioned, a hygrometer is important. Once you know what your humidity level in the room where you keep your guitar is you can plan.

As far as humidifying goes, even something simple like a perforated ziplock bag with a wet sponge in it put in the guitar case works well.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:30 PM

Well I got a Hygrometer and some D'addario Humidipaks. Thx for the recommendations! My house is around 40%. So I'll just be putting the paks in the case. Only problem now is the Taylor that I ordered 11 days ago was supposed to be here last Friday and has been sitting in Stockton Cal , an hour from me for 3 days. Apparently There is a huge freight backup in California. Wonderful. LOL Just my luck eh?
Old 06-28-2021, 11:57 PM

Hey at least you're not getting scorched in a record-setting heat wave, 30 degrees above the normal average temperature. Half the plants in my yard are dead from heat—despite robust irrigation, it was just too hot for them to live.

Now I'm wondering if we're going to see more heat waves like this and the crop failures and famines that come with them. And this after record setting ice storms this winter. It's not global warming that's the problem, it's the climate change that comes with it...

Stay cool, keep your guitars cooler... high heat is how luthiers loosen glue bonds for a lot of guitar repair work.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:19 AM

Welcome and congrats on your Taylor.

Like some, i have converted my office / music room and it is humidified with either a Venta LW25 or Stadler form Oskar. This keeps the room at around 40-50%. So most of my guitars are out on stands and in my rack.

Where i live we have cold dry winters, in the house its around 26% mostly, and sometimes the hygrometer doesn’t even register other than “low” .

The ones i don’t play daily or every 2-3rd day i will case, and use the humdipacks if necessary with a hygrometer in the case.

One thing i have never been confident in, is bringing them out the room downstairs, so i have an axe on hand in my lounge, during winter, as summer approaches then i can bring a few guitars around the house.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion