The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-31-2021, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Blessings to you Evan for good health and good playing. I believe that music is therapeutic, more than we know. So please keep playing, and singing, even silently to yourself.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:42 AM
Guest 928

Thank you all for your warm regards, they are a tonic and leave me in good spirits. I have found you, and this forum in general, to be exploratory, informative, positive and civilized. You've enhanced the quality of my life.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM

Default Get well soon, Evan!

Evan, you are definitely one of the movers and shakers and I am sure you will find a way to overcome whatever is thrown at you including your health.

Your willingness to help others with kind heart is contagious and, I believe, played a vital role in Carbon subforum culture. I am a living proof. I thank you for all the knowledge, encouragement and a few belly laughs!

Gitaman
Old 05-31-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Evan,

I briefly owned a CA Cargo a few years back and have sat on the CF sidelines ever since I sold it, but have always enjoyed you and your compadres posts on this forum. You seem to be a sharing, inquisitive person with a sense of humor - a good combination.

The fact that you are still musically exploring despite your current limitations is a great sign. Keep it up and good luck !
Old 05-31-2021, 11:07 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Hey Evan. Sorry to learn that you’re having health issues. I truly hope you can manage it as best you can.

I understand your move away from CF. I doubt I’ll ever be without a CF, my Cargo will likely be the one to never leave, but I’m in a wood mood these days.

I’ve always enjoyed your participation going back to the defunct McNichol forum and was glad that you made the transition to the AGF. I hope you’ll always share your thoughts here.

Be well!
Old 06-01-2021, 10:37 AM

Default Outdoor guitar / guitelele

I have an outdoor guitar made by Outdoor ukulele. They are super nice people and know what they’re doing regarding comfort and intonation. I don’t have to worry about it and it sits out ready to play. I did have them string it up as a guitelele. ( A-A ) . It would just need different strings to be an E to E guitar. It has the same specs as a Pono guitelele.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:09 PM

Evan, so sorry to hear you are having health issues. Count me in on being largely on the sidelines but always reading of your hunt for the “perfect” instrument.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and good luck in your continued search.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Guest 928

I'M BACK............. My back-to-wood was brief. I ordered the Kremona Sophia to compare wooden with CF projection; I think wood projects better and so I renewed my search of wooden instruments starting with small and moving up to the size that might suit me best.

I started with the 6 string Ukulele by Caramel, a very reasonably priced instrument with a 20" scale that can be tuned like a guitar. It was so impressive that I ordered another version of the same instrument and it too was stellar. If I was starting someone on guitar I would consider the Caramel--reasonably priced, plays well, and sound great.

So then, being curious, I moved to the Cordoba Mini which is twice the price of the Caramel but not twice as nice. I then headed upstream to the Cordoba Mini II EB-CE which is a really nice guitar--not as travel worthy as the Mini and not quite as big as I'd like. So I headed North to Godinland and purchased the Motif--a great sounding guitar. Unfortunately, the Godin, like the Kremona, felt bulky and sharp--it is being returned to sender.

As things stand, my Emerald X10 is looking like the keeper. Although, maybe I should look for an X7, nylon strung guitar with a short scale?
Old 06-12-2021, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'M BACK.............
You can check out any time you want...

Quote:
As things stand, my Emerald X10 is looking like the keeper. Although, maybe I should look for an X7, nylon strung guitar with a short scale?
As the X7 is already 24", how much shorter would you want to go? I'd be concerned about maintaining string tension if you want to stay in standard E-E.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-12-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'M BACK............. My back-to-wood was brief. I ordered the Kremona Sophia to compare wooden with CF projection; I think wood projects better and so I renewed my search of wooden instruments starting with small and moving up to the size that might suit me best.

I started with the 6 string Ukulele by Caramel, a very reasonably priced instrument with a 20" scale that can be tuned like a guitar. It was so impressive that I ordered another version of the same instrument and it too was stellar. If I was starting someone on guitar I would consider the Caramel--reasonably priced, plays well, and sound great.

So then, being curious, I moved to the Cordoba Mini which is twice the price of the Caramel but not twice as nice. I then headed upstream to the Cordoba Mini II EB-CE which is a really nice guitar--not as travel worthy as the Mini and not quite as big as I'd like. So I headed North to Godinland and purchased the Motif--a great sounding guitar. Unfortunately, the Godin, like the Kremona, felt bulky and sharp--it is being returned to sender.

OK, who had June 12th in the forum pool? I had June 15th, so it wasn't me.

Good that you had some time to look around. Even better that you didn't divest yourself of that X10... you had a nice shoutout from Alistair on yesterday's Emerald Shipping Video when he showed 3 slim-body X10s going out.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:12 PM
Guest 928

David:

I meant shorter than my 10--the seven is about right. What I've found, and I might even be right, is that the traditional long scale associated with nylon string guitars had a lot to do with the strings. With new hard tension strings shorted scales are doable. The Caramel baritone uke (with a 20" scale) tuned e to e plays and sounds just fine. The Cordoba Mini with the same scale also works well. Hard tension strings enable them to be tuned and played like a guitar.

Jim:

Yes, I was ahead of my time. The one guitar I regret selling was my X7 thin body with the Barbera active pickup. It did, however, find a very nice home and is living with some classic old time Martins.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David:

I meant shorter than my 10--the seven is about right. What I've found, and I might even be right, is that the traditional long scale associated with nylon string guitars had a lot to do with the strings. With new hard tension strings shorted scales are doable. The Caramel baritone uke (with a 20" scale) tuned e to e plays and sounds just fine. The Cordoba Mini with the same scale also works well. Hard tension strings enable them to be tuned and played like a guitar.
Got it. I’m not well-versed in the nylon string world.

I was fortunate enough to play a friend’s Taylor Academy 12e-N a couple of days ago. It was the first nylon-strung guitar I’ve played since I sold my guitalele. I was really impressed. The strings (I don’t know what they were) were surprisingly tight, and it sounded quite lovely, with the legendary Taylor setup and ease of play. A little polite volume-wise, perhaps, but that could just have been my lack of technique. $749 brand new, which seemed to me quite reasonable given the sound, playability and overall quality. It even had an arm bevel on the lower bout, which made it quite comfortable to play, but, ergonomically, the Emerald is still streets ahead.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-12-2021, 02:41 PM
Guest 928

David;

The Taylors are very nice instruments. I considered a Taylor but ended up not giving it a run because of the constant maintenance and risk: Because of the extreme heat of my area the Taylor owners I know maintain a constant humification and when they take their guitar out of the case they take the risk of cracking (the guitar and the player).
Old 06-13-2021, 02:51 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

You are on the money. I almost sold the 10, a close call. And your date was not far off.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'M BACK............. My back-to-wood was brief.
Can you just come charging back in with out a vote or anything?
Welcome back Evan...that was close !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber