The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-15-2021, 07:10 PM

Default a thought

I'd always hoped that my printer would come in handy some day....
Old 06-16-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd85 View Post
Wow...really good explanation I thought. Thanks Rudy!
The cheesy photo probably steers many away from viewing, which is too bad. The basics are represented well in that video.

Again, not perfect, but Sweetwater's Guide To Acoustic Guitar Setup isn't a bad place to start, either.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
His videos are too long winded. The "Daves fun stuff" guy is more entertaining but he's not very instructional. Just films what he's doing with comments.
Dave's videos are fun, but they're mostly very basic. The videos that I've learned the most from are from Tim Woodford. He's a Canadian luthier and his videos are a goldmine of very well done repairs. His videos are not a "how to" series though, so you've got to at least have an understanding of the basics to be able to get the most from his videos, but he spends a lot of time explaining specifically WHY he does things the way he does, and that information alone is well worth the price of admission.

https://www.youtube.com/user/twoodfrd
Old 06-17-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The videos that I've learned the most from are from Tim Woodford. He's a Canadian luthier and his videos are a goldmine of very well done repairs.
I met Tim a decade or so ago and played a few of his instruments. He seemed like a nice guy.

I watched a few of his videos, which I thought displayed a dedication to doing a good job. One of the videos was on replacing the X-brace in an old Martin arch top. Some of the methods seemed a little "manual". For example, he stated that it took him an hour and a half to fit each of the two braces comprising the X. Use of a contour gage would have reduced that to 15 minutes for the pair. (I've made a couple of arch top guitars.)

One of the interesting things about "craft" is that to make a (decent) living by doing it, one has to be fast enough at doing it that one can make sufficient return on one's time while offering the doing at a "reasonable" price - one that the customer is willing to pay. To do it well and quickly requires finding methods that are quick but don't sacrifice quality of workmanship.

A Fine Woodworking article once stated that the best woodworking in America is done by hobbyists - those who don't have to keep an eye on the clock to get it done within a profitable time duration. They can do whatever they want without any concern for (monetary) return on their time. Regardless of whether or not that is true, it highlights the nature of the problem.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
A Fine Woodworking article once stated that the best woodworking in America is done by hobbyists - those who don't have to keep an eye on the clock to get it done within a profitable time duration. They can do whatever they want without any concern for (monetary) return on their time. Regardless of whether or not that is true, it highlights the nature of the problem.
My brother-in-law is a trained & talented artist and great woodworker. He's done the artshow circuit for over a decade (well, until last year), working in ceramics. "Too many retired guys giving the work away" has been his reason for not marketing his woodwork.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I don't have a video but did write an article about it: http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Res...May%202015.pdf
Just wanted to say thanks to Charles for taking the time to write and post his article.

I recently had a couple of setups done by a shop and wasn't completely happy. I have often thought about doing my own setup work and now I'm going to jump in and do it. I like tinkering around with things and confident I can get results I will be happy with.

For the cost of my next couple setups I will be able to get some quality tools and be set for a lifetime of setups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair