The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2021, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Default A Tale of two Gibson L-00 Studios

I've always wanted a Gibson acoustic. I could never afford one...but now I can or at least a nice used one. So 3 weeks ago I found an excellent condition L-00 Studio Walnut Burst my fave finish for under $1200 at GC, bought it and got it 3 days later. It was in beautiful condition, the action was so low, nice saddle height, neck straight as an arrow, but it was fretting out. So i went to let the rod out and it was out as far as it could go, no adjustment left. I was disappointed but oh well, returned it. I'll find another one.
Score! I found another one on Father's Day, under $1200 from a different GC. So excited, got it today, beautiful condition, action was so low, nice saddle height, neck straight as an arrow, but it was fretting out. So i went to let the rod out and it was out as far as it could go, no adjustment left, truss rod nut so loose I could spin it with my finger. Same exact issue, completely different guitar...
First guitar, I was disappointed...this one I'm kind of crushed. I know first world problem, but...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 06-24-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:30 PM

If the relief was correct (fret at 1st and 14th frets, check clearance at 7th fret) and the neck was straight, then it's likely the previous owners took too much off the saddle on each guitar. Gibsons usually come with a generous amount of saddle, so a low saddle may still have plenty of height.

Conversely, to check the nut, fret at the 3rd and check the clearance at the 1st. Nut slots can deepen with time.

Adjusting the truss rod willy-nilly was not the way forward. Talking to an experienced luthier would have been a much better course of action. It's highly unlikely that this has anything to do with the build quality of these Gibsons. But...

Last edited by russchapman; 06-23-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
If the relief was correct (fret at 1st and 14th frets, check clearance at 7th fret) and the neck was straight, then it's likely the previous owners took too much off the saddle on each guitar. Gibsons usually come with a generous amount of saddle, so a low saddle may still have plenty of height.

Conversely, to check the nut, fret at the 3rd and check the clearance at the 1st. Nut slots can deepen with time.

Adjusting the truss rod willy-nilly was not the way forward. Talking to an experienced luthier would have been a much better course of action. It's highly unlikely that this has anything to do with the build quality of these Gibsons.
Neck is straight as an arrow, has a high saddle, straight edge hits at top of saddle, no clearance at 7th fret, no room at the rod for any relief. It's all the way out.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 06-23-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Neck is straight as an arrow, has a high saddle, straight edge hits at top of saddle, no clearance at 7th fret, no room at the rod for any relief. It's all the way out.
Hmmm...

There's a chance that the neck may be 'over set.' The straightedge should ideally run to the top of the bridge or a 1/32 above or below.

I'm curious what the low E action is at the 12th. Factory setting is .090

All this said, I think a skilled luthier would be a wise choice.

Best of luck.

Last edited by russchapman; 06-23-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Virtually all guitars built today have double action truss rods fitted. They will engage in both directions - generally clockwise to reduce relief and anti clockwise to add it. There can be a point, often when the neck is dead straight, that the 2-way truss rod is not "engaged" and the nut spins easily. If you want to add relief then you need to go past the slack section until the rod starts to engage again.

This may be particularly noticeable if there is a little "room" in the truss rod channel.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:29 AM

I find this curious. When you say the action is "so low", how low, exactly? Fretting out is usually the result of forward bow, an action set too low or a high fret somewhere, yet the neck is straight? That you would find this on two individual guitars is very odd indeed.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Virtually all guitars built today have double action truss rods fitted. They will engage in both directions - generally clockwise to reduce relief and anti clockwise to add it. There can be a point, often when the neck is dead straight, that the 2-way truss rod is not "engaged" and the nut spins easily. If you want to add relief then you need to go past the slack section until the rod starts to engage again.

This may be particularly noticeable if there is a little "room" in the truss rod channel.
Hi Robin. I wish this had a double action truss rod. If I keep loosening the trussrod, the truss nut will come off.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 06-24-2021, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
Hmmm...

There's a chance that the neck may be 'over set.' The straightedge should ideally run to the top of the bridge or a 1/32 above or below.

I'm curious what the low E action is at the 12th. Factory setting is .090

All this said, I think a skilled luthier would be a wise choice.

Best of luck.
Exactly Russ, the neck is 'over set' as you said. The straightedge hits at the top of the saddle, instead of the top of the bridge. It's just crazy to me that I got 2 of these from different stores with the same exact issue. No trussrod adjustment left...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 06-24-2021, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Robin. I wish this had a double action truss rod. If I keep loosening the trussrod, the truss nut will come off.
Wow, that's pretty unusual these days to fit a single action rod. You could try fitting a set of medium gauge strings and allow those to pull some relief into the neck, then go back to light gauge once the bend is established.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:37 AM

Sounds like a little baking soda and super glue may be in order to fill the nut slot(s). Here's a video from StewMac:

https://youtu.be/slCMkvEfK_U
Old 06-24-2021, 06:41 AM

Have you sighted the neck from behind the headstock to check for "the 14th fret hump." The fret board will rise there and the fret board extension over the upper bout will be high and the strings will contact the 15th, 16th... frets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion