The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

"Sometimes Just the Sky" recorded at Paste Studios NYC...what tuning she's using is anyone's guess? But a beautiful haunting song very well executed. This is the guitar...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-21-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
"Sometimes Just the Sky" recorded at Paste Studios NYC...what tuning she's using is anyone's guess? But a beautiful haunting song very well executed. This is the guitar...

I believe that is one of the Grevens. (She has two)
Old 06-21-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Okay, thanks, guys. Somehow I missed that.

whm
There were several threads about Ms. Chapin Carpenter and her Grevens (She has two) last spring during the early days of the pandemic when she was doing her "Songs From Home" series playing in her kitchen.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:47 PM

I saw a couple of those song videos, but missed any stories about how she got the guitars.

whm
Old 06-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I saw a couple of those song videos, but missed any stories about how she got the guitars.

whm
Wade click the link to John's website and then on "the story"? at the bottom on the picture...
http://www.grevenguitars.com/jumbo.html

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-21-2021, 03:44 PM

I had the chance to meet John at his workshop some 9 years ago (nearly to the day). He was incredibly generous with his time. I also got to play and evaluate his two holy grail guitars that were meant to come as close as possible to a prewar D-28. They were amazing guitars. We did an frequency analysis and compared them to a 1941 D-28. It was remarkable how close they were.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:46 PM
Eric Skye

I'm sorry to hear John is leaving us here in Portland. John and I have picked a few fiddle tunes together in his living room, and he's just a wonderful guy in every way. I'm glad their plan is coming together perfectly, and that'll he continue to do what he loves to do in his new home.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:58 PM

I know this has been in the works for a couple of years and I’m glad to hear it’s coming to fruition. John has always been generous with his time and knowledge. I consider him a friend and wish him and Celia the best of luck in their new adventure.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:58 PM

I am also glad John and spouse are moving on with their plans and goals. I was lucky enough to have John build me a j-35 several years ago (turned out to also cure GAS).
Hopefully no more descending and climbing those basement steps to and from the shop anymore.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 02-07-2024, 05:49 PM

Question Update?

Does anyone know the latest regarding John Greven?. Last posting I saw he moved to Tacoma, WA, however, his website is either down or I may have the wrong link (posted earlier in this post).
Old 02-07-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLaFortune View Post
Does anyone know the latest regarding John Greven?. Last posting I saw he moved to Tacoma, WA, however, his website is either down or I may have the wrong link (posted earlier in this post).

Hi Dan

John and his wife are living up in Lacey Washington in a wonderful retirement community called Panorama...a truly lovely and huge multi-living abode community. Check it out on Google.

He is building, at a much slower, what he calls "semi-retired" state and pace, way down from his 40 to 50 guitars a year clip for most of his career, but building he is, and has orders a plenty from the Orient, thanks to Kotaro Oshio. If anyone is still interested in having him make you a guitar, then the best ways to get a hold of him are via telephone at 503-233-8525, generally best to call between 2pm and 4pm Pacific time...or...email him at his email address: [email protected]. If you have any trouble connecting with him then just contact me here at AGF, and I will help get you hooked up no problem. You can even just call me at 503 349-8017, and we can chat about what you are looking for and I will help get you two guys together.

His website is sort of dormant now, as he really does not need it to drum up any work. So just call or email him..or me...if you are interested. I kind of suspect that he will build for 2 or 3 more years and then call it a day. As of this month, he has made 2,512 guitars, plus a handful of banjo's, and 3 harpsichords...way back in the early days. A pretty remarkable output for one guy...and...you rarely see them come up for sale on the used market. There is a reason for that...{;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-08-2024, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don’t know the story about how Ms. Carpenter got her Greven guitar, so if any of you can provide a link to it, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Wade Hampton Miller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
The story is in the link 2 posts above. See "The Story" @ the bottom of the page.
Steve
The link isn’t working for me, I just get a message “Looks like this domain isn’t connected to a website yet”. Can anyone help?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The link isn’t working for me, I just get a message “Looks like this domain isn’t connected to a website yet”. Can anyone help?

The story about her Greven #1 guitar, the J-185 jumbo that has been her primary guitar for more than 30 years now used to be on MCC's website, but I don't know if it still is. There are also some written reports of the story, or used to be, online, taken from various stories about MCC over the years. Again, John's website is down and dormant, and I suspect that he is not likely to bring it back up online again, as he is slowing down and preparing to retire in a few years from now.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Apologies Duff, I hadn’t realised that this is a zombie thread!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-08-2024, 03:27 PM

Duff - I was referred to John Greven as a good source for pickguards, The few that I have seen online look rather unique. Do you know if he is still doing pickguards?

BTW - I have an old family friend who lives in Panorama, beautiful location.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion