The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 06-07-2021, 07:53 AM

Default Huss and Dalton TOM-M Custom Italian Bearclaw & Sinker Mahogany, Baggs Pickup [Video]

For sale is a LOUD, SASSY, percussive and musical boutique instrument made from special woods in great playing condition.

Top: Italian Bearclaw Spruce top (How about that bearclaw, amirite?)
Back and sides: Honduran Sinker Mahogany salvaged from Belize
Scale length: 25.4”
Nut width: 1 3/4"
String spacing: 2-7/32”
AGF Price: $4,200 (or best offer!) shipped CONUS with hardshell case

Demo video: https://youtu.be/yplVLt1Lfhw

Detailed photos and video “walk around” of the body: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eVYLmnoJ55FfPUkF7

The attached video combines various phone video memos I’ve made over the last year+that I’ve had it (apologies in advance for the “guitar face”), as well as a more recent recording with some proper mics so you can actually hear the deep bass presence of this guitar. Hopefully this helps communicate that this is a very legit, lovable, musical, great feeling and sounding instrument that is ready for a journey with someone. You might notice in the videos that it previously had an LR Baggs Anthem SL in it and now has a Lyric. I feel that the bass actually sounds deeper now that the Anthem is removed (you can hear in the more recent videos in front of the mics), since it included a squish under-saddle pickup. If you search the web, you can also find the infamous Carl Miner doing a demo of an identically specced sibling of this guitar. This guitar was a big part of my musical development. I hope it’ll do the same for you. Alright - Time for some specs:

Sound: LOUD. Sassy. “Banjo Killer”. Canon. Percussive. This guitar makes me want to flatpick like Django Reinhardt, even though it has a much fuller sound than his. This guitar is ready for the bluegrass jam. This guitar can do anything but I think anyone looking for a powerful instrument without a huge body size would really dig it. It really stands up to a wallup of an attack and you can feel it resonate. It's also great for fingerstyle - I have a separate all fingerstyle demo available upon request.

Neck feel: Mostly a soft C shape. It’s full, but noticeably shallower than, for example, a Collings Traditional OM neck. I LOVE this neck. It’s my favorite neck I’ve played to date. My left hand just wants to dance across this neck. I have average or maybe smaller than average hands and this neck fills my hands just enough, but not too much. On this neck my fingers reach the fretboard and feel kind of like my legs and feet feel on a bicycle that’s perfectly adjusted for my height. The previous owner said it’s a custom low-profile shape, but I don’t know if that means it’s unique to this guitar, or just an available option within Huss & Dalton’s menu. Includes a strap button at the heel. Did I mention I like the neck?

Pickup: This guitar is gig-ready. Includes a brand-new, just professionally installed LR Baggs Lyric pickup. It sounds natural plugged in and it doesn’t alter the unplugged tone with a squishy under-saddle element like some other pickups do. Instead, it uses an under bridge microphone.

Fret condition & setup: Very good. I had the frets leveled and crowned in Feb, 2020. The frets still have lots of life in them, though some initial wear is visible in a few spots if you look closely. I had the bridge/action raised with a shim so this guitar can sustain a heavy attack (eg, flatpicking) with minimal if any buzz. I hate fret buzz and I play with a strong attack with D’addario EXP16 (12 gauge) phosphor bronze strings. See string action measurements in the photos. If you wanted to set it up for lowest possible action, you could have the shim removed or reduced by your local luthier. If you’re a bluegrass flatpicker, it’s ready for you to play the heck out of it.

Body & general condition: The guitar is structurally solid and has several points of visible wear (almost entirely from previous owners, ahem). Some of this wear can be difficult to photograph (and doesn’t affect the feel or playability of the instrument). I’ll try to enumerate the most noticeable ones here, and please also look closely at the photos as well as the closeup video of the body in the Google Photos album. There are scratches or dings:

Top, bass side next to the bridge and the last few frets and lower bout, treble lower bout. If you look at it in the right light, from the exact right angle there’s some cloud to the finish.
Top back of the headstock, treble side
Back of the heel
Back, various

So it definitely has some character to it, but it’s structurally solid and you can actually take it out and play somewhere and not worry that you’re going to put the first tiny scratch on some new mint piece.

Case: I’ll be providing a hardshell OM case, likely a TKL Martin-branded case (included in the cost of purchasing the guitar) to ship this in as it’s currently living in a TKL Zero Gravity foam reinforced gig bag, and I think it’d be safer to ship it in a hardshell case.

About that Sinker Mahogany
I’m not the original owner , but I tracked down and in the Google Photos album are some photos of original materials from when this guitar was listed new, telling the story of the sinker mahogany, and showing some of the original wood it was cut from (Portlandia chicken sketch, anyone?).

This was my first high-end guitar and as much as I love it, I still want to explore. My hope for the next person who has it is that you play the ABSOLUTE HECK out of it. It deserves as much. Thank you.

Last edited by ezra; 06-13-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I have the same guitar. It's just an amazing-sounding specimen. Every time I think about moving it along I play it and then start looking for something else to sell.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:54 AM

Thanks, gibsonfan. I feel the same way. Truly an amazing specimen!
Old 06-09-2021, 11:05 AM

Bump for this fine instrument from outer space.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:52 AM

Bump. I'm available for questions about this instrument.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:09 AM

Reasonable offers welcome on this monster guitar .
Old 06-13-2021, 04:00 PM

Someone reached out asking for more fingerstyle demo, so I added a fingerstyle video to the Google Photos album.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:20 AM

I'll be traveling June 18-21, so if you were thinking of having this shipped this week, best to get in touch before then. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:40 AM

Getting some inquiries on Reverb. Would love to sell on AGF though!
Old 06-20-2021, 04:50 PM

oh man...control.....control....
Old 06-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Not in the market, though I do have a lovely H&D 000 SP. Just wanted to congratulate you on a very well crafted ad.
Best of luck with your sale.
David
Old 06-23-2021, 02:23 PM

Thanks, Deliberate1!

Folks: I just received an offer on Reverb and am pondering it over at the moment. If you're interested in this guitar, time to reach out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars