The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Thanks C but the design work credit goes to Dennis. I'm just the grunt who makes sawdust. The glue is a better replacement for the excellent white glue that LMI used to sell until their supplier went belly up. This glue is made by Spectrum Adhesives and I believe the part number is CP-01 but Ill have to check my jug after while. It dries clear, is EXTREMELY hard, doesn't creep, doesn't slide around when clamped, tacks quickly, sands easily and it can be reversed with heat and moisture. I've been using it for the last 6-7 years with excellent success.
Tim, checked Spectrums web site, they don't list anything as CP-01, maybe a new marketing jock changed the listing or something. Sounds like as you said a great improvement over the LMI glue.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Tim was kind to send me more info. Spectrum seems to have more than one location. If you go to Spectrum’s Ohio website, you’ll find the CP line of adhesives, and CP-0101 is there. There’s a spec sheet for more detailed info as well. Hope this helps. Dave
Old 05-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Well ... ~635 pics and videos later, we are narrowing in the final posts in this thread (good thing cause the 300 post limit is approaching). We were waiting on our laser etching man to complete his work. Todays post covers the addition of gold and silver leaf to the etched pickguard, then placing it on the guitar. Final strings go on and the glamour shots are taken in the shop.

Tim is shipping "Slim" today and I expect delivery early next week! Feels like a dream. I am actually going to be playing this guitar very soon! WooHoo!

Here is the pickguard as it left the laser man and arrived at Tim's shop.

Then using his special application tool (q-tip) Tim applies the gold leaf. It dries very quickly so a section at a time has the gold leaf added and excess buffed off quickly.

They will be calling Tim gold thumb for weeks!

Last edited by cigarfan; 05-29-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Music soothes the soul!

When the gold leaf is applied and buffed twice, all but the pearls (circles) are masked and the silver leaf applied in the same manner.

And voila!

You may remember the green tape that appeared in so many pictures of the top. That was to assist Tim in locating the pickguard. Finally he gets to use it.

Strung up with the final strings.

And the glamour shot booth is employed. • Video

Old 05-29-2020, 11:04 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Even the preparations to ship are handled with the greatest care. • Video

Old 05-29-2020, 11:06 AM
Music soothes the soul!

And boxing it up. I can only imagine how bittersweet the moment when a luthier bids farewell to their creation. A necessary thing in the business, but likely painful nonetheless.

All that's left is to ship. My, my. What a journey it has been. Thank you Tim and Mary for all the hard work, pics and videos, and fellowship along the way. It's been a blessing for me. I can't express in words, to the level I want to, how much I appreciate you both. Only wish COVID hadn't spoiled our plans for unveiling at McJam.

Hope you don't mind but when we finally are able to gather, I have a big hug for both of you!

We will likely have the glamour shots prepared for thread viewers in a couple days.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=cigarfan;6395823]

Goldfinger! Where's James Bond when you need him?!?

Delighted as all get out for Dennis, but somewhat melancholy about this thread coming to an end. What a blast.

If these many photos and descriptions don't help people appreciate all the tedious, time-consuming, intricate work that goes into constructing a hand-built guitar, then nothing will. Much thanks to Dennis for sharing his journey with us, and nothing but admiration and respect for Tim's building abilities and Mary's work behind the scenes to organize, design, assist, market and share in the success this duo has deservedly garnered over the years. <cue applause!>
Old 05-29-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations cigarfan, what a beautiful guitar from top to bottom! Can't wait for the unboxing pics.

Btw, what type of Guardian case is that? I was under the impression that they only had multi-ply hardshell cases for guitars...
Old 05-29-2020, 04:14 PM

It has been a long time coming Dennis and I know you are excited. I will be anxious to hear your thoughts. Great job Tim and Mary!
Old 05-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

That is gorgeous! That case looks great too. What brand and any comments on it?

Lucky man Dennis. Looking forward to your NGD comments.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Eire;6395864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post

Delighted as all get out for Dennis, but somewhat melancholy about this thread coming to an end. What a blast.

If these many photos and descriptions don't help people appreciate all the tedious, time-consuming, intricate work that goes into constructing a hand-built guitar, then nothing will. Much thanks to Dennis for sharing his journey with us, and nothing but admiration and respect for Tim's building abilities and Mary's work behind the scenes to organize, design, assist, market and share in the success this duo has deservedly garnered over the years. <cue applause!>

+++1,000,000
I can only imagine the anticipation you have Dennis. Congratulations!

The McKnight’s have really outdone themselves...again!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 05-30-2020, 05:10 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post

As a customer, I have come to enjoy the journey on a build immensely. With Tim and Mary, sharing the way they do, this one was extra special! I too will miss the build aspect but I will so enjoy having "Slim" around to remind me. Thanks for following Kurt. Glad you enjoyed the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
Congratulations cigarfan, what a beautiful guitar from top to bottom! Can't wait for the unboxing pics.

Btw, what type of Guardian case is that? I was under the impression that they only had multi-ply hardshell cases for guitars...
I'm glad this guitar is coming this time of year so I can hang it on a stand and look at it all the time. Thanks for your comments.

I'll have to let Tim answer the case question. I know they don't weigh a whole lot and are easily carried around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
It has been a long time coming Dennis and I know you are excited. I will be anxious to hear your thoughts. Great job Tim and Mary!
Thanks brother! I look forward to the day you can play it and give me your impression!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
That is gorgeous! That case looks great too. What brand and any comments on it?

Lucky man Dennis. Looking forward to your NGD comments.
Thanks Paul. Glad to have you follow along. The case is a Guardian fiberglass case. Tim has them custom made to fit his guitars. Strong as an ox and relatively light making for easy hauling around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
+++1,000,000
I can only imagine the anticipation you have Dennis. Congratulations!
The McKnight’s have really outdone themselves...again!
Glad to have you follow along Mike. Thanks for your comments. And I quite agree ... Tim and Mary have knocked it out of the park!
Old 05-30-2020, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

A Friday shipment...I know the feeling well! Congrats in advance Dennis...
Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
The cases are Guardian's fiberglass flight grade and are darn near as indestructible as a Calton. When we first saw them at NAMM several years ago there was this really tall man in their booth, or so we thought, until we got close enough to see him standing on their cases. Unfortunately they have been discontinued and are no longer in production. When my supplier told me they were phasing them out I bought all they had, literally a truck load! I'd be happy to sell you one ... and they come with a free guitar too
Old 05-30-2020, 07:19 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
... and they come with a free guitar too
I don't recall him telling me that!!!???!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop