The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 PM

Default Tube Mic noise.

Looking for some thought from those with some mic experience. I just picked up a brand new tube mic, and Avantone CV12. When using the mic, I notice a hiss that reminds of a cassette tape type hiss sound. I've got my preamp turned down quite low on the interface so I don't believe that is the issue. My other non-tube condenser mics are silent as a mouse. Granted the tube mic has it's own power supply. So my question would be, is this background hiss a trait of tube mic's or could there potentially be an issue? Sound wise the mic does sound quite well.

Chris
Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Tube Mic noise.

Some mics have a lower noise floor than others, it might just be designed that way. You could try replacing the tube with something from JJ or a good known NOS tube. The tube could just be a bad apple...
Old 05-29-2014, 05:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Tube mics typically have a higher noise floor than solid state but it shouldn't be noticeable at operating levels for, say, a voice.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

I would contact Avantone - the mic shouldn't be that noticeably noisy. I have a bunch of tube mics and none of them have a noticeable hiss when I'm using them at normal operating levels.

-Mike
Old 05-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Reviews say it is a quiet mike. Some specs: SELF NOISE: 17 dB
SENSITIVITY: -35 dB
Once you power it up it may take some time to warm up and settle down - my tube mike does anyway.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
I would contact Avantone - the mic shouldn't be that noticeably noisy. I have a bunch of tube mics and none of them have a noticeable hiss when I'm using them at normal operating levels.

-Mike
I did send Avantone an email last night but haven't received back any response. I spoke with a buddy of mine who is going to take it back to his place and see if if stays or goes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
avantone, avantone cv12, cv-12, cv12