The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 AM

If I can think of a very high end guitar
And I can afford it
Thats how I know I'm dreaming!
Old 12-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJW View Post
On the flip side of that, has anyone regretted selling or losing an instrument that you later realized was that Holy Grail?
Back in the early 2000s, I was in Seattle with some time to kill, so I wandered into Dusty Strings. I walked past all the new guitars hanging on the wall, and back to the used/consignment section where there were 10-12 guitars.

A rosewood Martin immediately caught my eye, but I saved it for last. After I played the others, I took it down. It was a mid-90s HD-28V, on consignment for $2000. And it was sublime. I was hooked from the first strum. A sales guy listened to me play for a while, and then put me in one of their lesson rooms where the acoustics were better. Or maybe he was just tired of hearing me play, don't know!

Anyway, that guitar was loud and powerful, but it could whisper just as well. And it played perfectly. The all-around best guitar I've ever played to this day. But I had two kids in HS and headed for college and just didn't have the funds to spare.

But that guitar still haunts my dreams. I later bought myself an HD-28V, but it was no match for the old Guild that I had acquired, so I sold it.

And here I am 17-18 years later still thinking about it....
Old 12-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Can you sell the Dream guitar? If so I'd take Trigger
Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 AM

Ever since playing Larry Jacobsen's Bashkin years ago at an AGF gathering its been my dream. I've since become somewhat enamored with Manzer's, so, either one would be considered a dream. Considering I've just retired, I guess I better get on it.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 AM

The Martin 000-18GE was my dream guitar, and then I bought one. I love the heck out of it.

I have always had a hankering for a really good 00. So currently, my dream guitars are the Martin 00-17 Authentic and the Santa Cruz 1929 OO.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-02-2020, 10:54 AM

I've had a few "dream guitars" but nothing yet has been just perfect, and I'm beginning to think that guitar may not exist.

Because of that, and having owned guitars from pretty much every boutique guitar maker around, I'm buying less expensive models that are still bringing me a lot of joy! My Yamaha FS5 should be here by the end of the week...woohoo!

I would certainly take a Kim Walker OM/000 if someone offered it at about 1/5 of the current price!

scott
Old 12-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Back in the early 2000s, I was in Seattle with some time to kill, so I wandered into Dusty Strings. I walked past all the new guitars hanging on the wall, and back to the used/consignment section where there were 10-12 guitars.

A rosewood Martin immediately caught my eye, but I saved it for last. After I played the others, I took it down. It was a mid-90s HD-28V, on consignment for $2000. And it was sublime. I was hooked from the first strum. A sales guy listened to me play for a while, and then put me in one of their lesson rooms where the acoustics were better. Or maybe he was just tired of hearing me play, don't know!

Anyway, that guitar was loud and powerful, but it could whisper just as well. And it played perfectly. The all-around best guitar I've ever played to this day. But I had two kids in HS and headed for college and just didn't have the funds to spare.

But that guitar still haunts my dreams. I later bought myself an HD-28V, but it was no match for the old Guild that I had acquired, so I sold it.

And here I am 17-18 years later still thinking about it....
What a guitar Ken! Makes me wonder what sacrifices my parents made for my sister and I! Hoping one day that guitar will find its way back to you (or more realistically a very close sibling).

"A man is what he thinks about all day long." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

'15 Martin D-18
'07 Ibanez Artwood AW800
'16 Yamaha LS16

An oud made in Damascus, Syria in the 90's.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:22 PM

My favorite is my X-braced Taylor 814ce DLX. Yes, I like many other guitars, but if I could only have one guitar this would be it. I've yet to play anything at any price that I'd take over it.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 12-02-2020, 06:52 PM

My dream guitar most of my life was my grandpa’s Martin. I always loved visiting him in Kentucky and hearing him jam with his buddies on Saturday nights.

When I got older (in my 40’s) my dream guitar was Taylor 314ce that I could use in the praise band as well as for solo gigs and cover band gigs.

A few years later it became my dream to have a new Martin D-18.

Luckily I have all three now.

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-02-2020, 07:24 PM

The holy grail of guitars?

It would play itself perfectly regardless of venue, bring in a solid income, and allow me to recline lazily on the beach.

Ideally it would also comport good looks, sex appeal and a car with air conditioning and decent seats. Ha!
Old 12-02-2020, 08:15 PM

My dream guitar would be one built by Tim McKnight. After following quite a few of his build threads I have become an huge fan of his techniques, engineering prowess, and just plain God given talent. I love how he thinks outside the proverbial box to produce incredible guitars. While I will never be able to own one of Tim’s guitars, it’s still nice to dream!
Old 12-02-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

I have two dream guitars that are far beyond my abilities as it is. But if we are talking true wildest dream guitar, I'd want a '34-37 D18. And that's because the Norman Blake Whiskey Before Breakfast album is what inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place. NB played a '34 D18 on those recordings.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:44 PM

I played a Goodall Parlor and Santa Cruz Baritone years ago at Acoustic Roots outside of Philly that I regret not buying at the time even though they were way out of my budget then.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion