The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 AM

for my Pedaltrain Classic 2 board the Truetone One Spot is my power supply - 12 outputs, super quiet operation. For my small board I use a Gator 8 spot brick that came with their smaller board/.case combo, also very quiet. Never had a noise problem from pedal power with either power supply.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:27 PM

About a year ago I bought a rechargeable power brick, a BoxKing BK05. I used it for about a half a year and liked it so much that I bought a second one.

I have 2 boards with these.

One board has Yamaha MG60X mixer, a JamMan Solo looper and a Stageman Acoustic Preamp-Di.

The other board has Polytune tuner, Zoom A3, HOF reverb and a Ditto 2x looper.

I'm planning on buying a third one for an electric guitar board.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 05-06-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Make sure the AC power source for your pedals is plugged into the same circuit as the amp/PA you're playing through. Overlooking that will probably cause an annoying open ground loop hum.

Even then, you still might get it. In which case, there are gadgets you can get via Google/Amazon to eliminate that obnoxious noise.

In a worst case scenario (like gigging in a club with sketchy power sources), you can always ditch the AC wall wart for your pedals and just use batteries.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-11-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:55 AM

Lots of good ones out there. Just make sure the outputs are individually isolated. Isolated models are a bit more expensive, but buy once and you're good to go.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Ditto the isolated recommendations which will rule out the DC-Brick which will tempt you with it's tiny size.

I use a Cioks DC7 for my bigger electric guitar board and a Nomad Outlaw for my smaller board. The Nomad is very powerful and will handle just about any voltage demand AND it's a rechargeable power pack so you don't need another AC cord on stage. I actually have an extra S128 (the smallero one) for sale at $130+shipping and PP.

The Strymon Ojai is a great option as well. It is tiny.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...
Old 11-30-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Make a list:

Pedal... Voltage... Amps... Connector type (usually center negative but not always)

Map your voltage and amperage to the outputs of the power supply you're considering plug for plug. Sometimes you need more high amperage outputs (300ma or more) than you have available in which case you need a different power supply. Sometimes you'll need a special cable to get 18V.. or a special cable to double up on amps by combining outputs. Had to do this more with my Voodoo than I wanted.

Strymon is nice but expensive and overkill for most applications (asked Santa for one this year anyway). Overall, I like the MXR DC Brick 237 for three reasons: Lots of high amp outputs, transformer is away from your board (no hum), and they're relatively cheap. https://www.amazon.com/MXR-M237-Bric.../dp/B00B5I9GYW

If you just want to learn and get your feet wet without much investment, I've found the Donner to work fine. Not any more noise than my VooDoo but, like the Voodoo, not enough higher amp outputs for me. https://www.amazon.com/Donner-Guitar...XNX9511FBCDANY
This is excellent advice, especially mapping device-by-device.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

I recently played with a USB 5v to 12v adapter to see if I could run my T-Rex Soulmate with a high capacity USB battery power pack, and it was a failure, even though they specifically sell it for this model. But it included a polarity reversing plug, and using that with another battery back that had a 12v selectable output, it’s working great. Haven’t tested it for duration, but it doesn’t show very much drop from full charge after 4 hours. Amazon has another battery pack that offers 2 outputs, 12v and 9v, and I am tempted to try that with the Soulmate and a harmony pedal, but haven’t gotten around to ordering one yet -

But, now with the Soulmate running battery, and the S1s running on battery, I really like knowing I can set up and play anywhere, without any need of 110v power. Add wireless transmitter for the guitar, and one for my mic, I’m almost completely cordless - just don’t ask about all the cables I need at home to plug in and charge everything -
Old 12-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
...it is best to get more than what you need in case you add more pedals..
Absolutely!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-03-2020, 08:24 AM

I was using was a Strymon Ojai RC30, which is great, but then I got a Plethora X5 that required 600ma, so upgraded to a Cioks DC7 and very happy with it. the Cioks DC7 uses a standard IEC plug so much nicer than the cord on some of their older supplies. Also nice that it is easy to mount under Temple Audio boards. I also use the Temple Audio power module to keep things tidy.

With all the new high voltage pedals coming out, the DC7 gives you some future proofing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification