The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-19-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Edwinson content - I have to share

I've been talking to a few builders about having my 1st custom guitar built. In talking with Steve Sheriff over at Edwinson guitars, I explained that it was really difficult to make a decision having never played any of the builders guitars. So he said "I've got my personal guitar sitting right here. Why don't I send it to you for a week or so?" Uh, really??? Well, ok. Thanks! I let him know up front that I'd need a custom neck carve, so I most probably would not be buying the one he sent. That didn't seem to bother him in the least. Cool, huh?

It showed up today. It is his Eclipse OM model. This one is redwood and cocobolo with all the bells and whistles. Arm and rib bevels, multi-scale, his unique open headstock, gold evo frets, carved bridge, etc, etc. This thing showed up and after giving it the afternoon to acclimate, I opened the box and I was grinning ear to ear. This thing is a work of art! I just had to share it with you guys.

I did get to play it for a few minutes today, but not enough to offer my impressions. I might try to record some sound clips in the next few days. For now though, some crappy cell phone pics are all I have. Enjoy!

Pardon the reflection of the stairs in this. I'll have to get a better shot of the back tomorrow. It's pretty impressive.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

You would be in great hands with Steve.

Before I ordered my first guitar with him, he shipped one of his guitars to me, just like he did with you. An amazing and generous guy. His guitars are amazing in every way.
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 11-19-2020, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Smile Steve builds beauties

Have fun with this! Lucky you!!!

And MAJOR KUDOS to Steve for his most kind and generous loan. He is a lovely gentleman and it was a real pleasure meeting him at BIG! His shop partner Joel also builds very nice instruments in a more subdued style. Both were really nice guys and very talented too!

Hard to go wrong with the rib and arm bevels! I LOVE mine. Have him do a Manzer Wedge, too. Comfy rules.

We expect a rave review any moment....

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 11-19-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:56 PM

A nicer guy you will be hard pressed to meet than Mr. Steve. I hope you enjoy the guitar and maybe the neck will surprise you?
Old 11-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Edwinson

No worries working with Steve. I've had him build two guitars for me with custom necks and they both turned out exactly the way I wanted them. And the rest of the guitars were equally well done, sound great and are eye candy.
Fast Jimmy
Old 11-19-2020, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

+++ on working with Steve. He is an artist and a master luthier (that's not redundant in his case). He is a pleasure to work with. The guitar he built for me is a lifetime keeper and I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with anything he creates. In fact, I can't imagine any of his builds being anything but an incredible surprise upon receipt - no matter how high your expectations.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Am quite jealous of everyone here who has gotten to play one of Steve's beauties. This one is bonkers....hope to hear a clip. Enjoy!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 11-21-2020, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I've been talking to a few builders about having my 1st custom guitar built. In talking with Steve Sheriff over at Edwinson guitars, I explained that it was really difficult to make a decision having never played any of the builders guitars. So he said "I've got my personal guitar sitting right here. Why don't I send it to you for a week or so?" Uh, really??? Well, ok. Thanks! I let him know up front that I'd need a custom neck carve, so I most probably would not be buying the one he sent. That didn't seem to bother him in the least. Cool, huh?

It showed up today. It is his Eclipse OM model. This one is redwood and cocobolo with all the bells and whistles. Arm and rib bevels, multi-scale, his unique open headstock, gold evo frets, carved bridge, etc, etc. This thing showed up and after giving it the afternoon to acclimate, I opened the box and I was grinning ear to ear. This thing is a work of art! I just had to share it with you guys.

I did get to play it for a few minutes today, but not enough to offer my impressions. I might try to record some sound clips in the next few days. For now though, some crappy cell phone pics are all I have. Enjoy!
You just need to hop in the car and head down to Fairhope and spend an entire morning with Steve and Joel at their shop. It’s time extremely well spent!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-21-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
You just need to hop in the car and head down to Fairhope and spend an entire morning with Steve and Joel at their shop. It’s time extremely well spent!
I'm sure that would be great. It's a 5 hour trip though each way. Not a day trip.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I'm sure that would be great. It's a 5 hour trip though each way. Not a day trip.
James, you are always welcome here. If you find yourself traveling down to the Gulf coast, I hope you'll add a visit here to your itinerary. We always have some interesting new projects on the workbench. And Joel and I would both really enjoy putting some guitars in your hands and giving them a spin!

Same goes for SprintBob. We had a great time sharing our hurricane stories. And the guitars...
Old 12-09-2020, 02:23 PM

If anybody want's to hear the guitar, I did a little vid with it, posted here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...45#post6571345
Old 12-09-2020, 10:40 PM

Thanks- nice sounding guitar and good playing. The edwinson sounds like it has an Olson-esque chime to it to my ear.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Hope you end up with one of Steve’s guitars. They look good on you!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Thanks- nice sounding guitar and good playing. The edwinson sounds like it has an Olson-esque chime to it to my ear.
Thanks. I've never played an Olsen. Is that what they sound like? I try really hard to not play too many guitars I couldn't possibly afford. Not that is an issue, can't say I've ever been in a shop that had one in stock.

I really wish I had something worked up and ready to record that was in a drop tuning. That tune, capoed up in standard, doesn't show the depth of that guitar. But that's what was in the hopper.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Nicely done! I really enjoy the hybrid technique you've got going on.

Looking forward to seeing your custom Edwinson!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop