The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
Does anyone have experience with the focusrite saffire pro 24? Also looking for suggestions on a mics. (Matched pair at different locations)(large diaphram) Could I do the condenser and use the aura built in for "stereo". I figured that with the FireWire and multi input recording thru mixcraft I could make a decent little home recording. Thoughts?
I recently picked up a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. It has a USB interface, 2 preamps, 2 line inputs, etc. The preamps seem quiet and have adequate gain. It's working well with Reaper DAW. I looked at some interfaces with firewire but what I typically get for laptops does not support firewire. Lots of Focusrtie model variations with different # of inputs and outputs are available.

I picked up two ADK A6 mics ($200 each with the shock mount, cables, and case). I either use these two mics, or one ADK A6 and one Oktava MC-012.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 05-05-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I recently picked up a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. It has a USB interface, 2 preamps, 2 line inputs, etc. The preamps seem quiet and have adequate gain. It's working well with Reaper DAW. I looked at some interfaces with firewire but what I typically get for laptops does not support firewire. Lots of Focusrtie model variations with different # of inputs and outputs are available.

I picked up two ADK A6 mics ($200 each with the shock mount, cables, and case). I either use these two mics, or one ADK A6 and one Oktava MC-012.
How do you like the ADK? for acoustic gtr? Vocals?. If I had enough cash I would of gone with the Octava MK-012's. Isn't the MC series those guitar center blow outs? If so they may e Chinese rip offs
Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
How do you like the ADK? for acoustic gtr? Vocals?. If I had enough cash I would of gone with the Octava MK-012's. Isn't the MC series those guitar center blow outs? If so they may e Chinese rip offs
I've only used the mics for acoustic guitar. My needs are for solo fingerstyle; no vocals. I've heard mixed reports about how the A6 does on vocals (I don't believe they were designed with vocals in mind). I really like the A6, I think it's a bit fuller in the bass and gives a smooth and warm recording (compared to my SDC Oktava). Sometimes I like the Oktava SDC in combination with one A6 to add more transient detail.

My Oktava MC-012 is not one of the chinese fakes that GC was selling. It's confusing going through the various model number markings, serial number marking, observable design diffferences, and packaging differences to determine if an Oktava is a fake or Russian made but I'm convinced I have a Russian made mic.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-05-2014, 05:44 PM

I have an AKG 120 LDC mic.... But not opposed to getting the e70 stereo as a pair. I guess I'm kinda lost with the FireWire vs USB benefits. I heard FW was faster? Pick just plan on doing my guitar and maybe some vocals, acoustic bass sometimes. So maybe I don't need the extra speed. I just wanna make sure I get a good one. Is the AkG mic a good start? Should I get a SDC to pair with it? I'm a total noob on this stuff. Rather than read thru the a bunch of reviews, can one of y'all recommend an interface in the $200-300 range that will work well with the above discussed mics? I'll be using my desktop quad core with vista if that makes a difference.. Any help will be appreciated
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've only used the mics for acoustic guitar. My needs are for solo fingerstyle; no vocals. I've heard mixed reports about how the A6 does on vocals (I don't believe they were designed with vocals in mind). I really like the A6, I think it's a bit fuller in the bass and gives a smooth and warm recording (compared to my SDC Oktava). Sometimes I like the Oktava SDC in combination with one A6 to add more transient detail.

My Oktava MC-012 is not one of the chinese fakes that GC was selling. It's confusing going through the various model number markings, serial number marking, observable design diffferences, and packaging differences to determine if an Oktava is a fake or Russian made but I'm convinced I have a Russian made mic.
Fake Oktava mics have not been around for sale, as new mics, for nearly 10 years. There are certainly many used ones out there and care is needed. I don't have the link any more, but there is a website that shows pictures of the fakes and the real Oktavas and how to identify each.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have an AKG 120 LDC mic.... But not opposed to getting the e70 stereo as a pair. I guess I'm kinda lost with the FireWire vs USB benefits. I heard FW was faster? Pick just plan on doing my guitar and maybe some vocals, acoustic bass sometimes. So maybe I don't need the extra speed. I just wanna make sure I get a good one. Is the AkG mic a good start? Should I get a SDC to pair with it? I'm a total noob on this stuff. Rather than read thru the a bunch of reviews, can one of y'all recommend an interface in the $200-300 range that will work well with the above discussed mics? I'll be using my desktop quad core with vista if that makes a difference.. Any help will be appreciated
My friend here in town has the same AKG perception 120 and it never gets used. He made the mistake of "collecting" cheap condensers like many of us have. This includes his purchases of a MXL 990 the at-2020 bundle he does use his Cad m179 once in awhile((variable patterns) and that one is like $129.00) but hey I see Front end audio dropped the price of the ADK A6 even more. I will get my e70 stereo bund!e by this Thursday and will share impressions don't know how long after that I will provide clips.
This is how I see your delimnia. You don't have what I would call a very usable LDC for vocals with the 120. The m179 is alright on acoustic gtr. But my friend doesn't like it on his vocals and I have heard similar comments. I hear it does get use on toms. No one including me has to say you need two mics for acoustic guitar. It depends on the song and how dense is the mix. Perhaps where the acoustic is prominent 2 mics are nice. Some use a supposeded matched pair or one LDC and one SDC. All types of experimentation is available the more mics you own. A single SDC might fit better in a busier mix. LDC might sound fuller but has a slower transient responce.
If you can spend up to 200 bucks and need a setup for vocals and acoustic guitar I would suggest once again the ADK A6. Like I said before one of the cheaper LDC's that doesn't have that brittle hyped high end. For sdc's it is hard to beat these guys at this price point the bundle is great as well. However if you spent all you could on this pair then you would still be hurting in the vocal needs. I know the price keeps going up with all of these suggestions but for around 3 bills you could have the A6 and one e70(with 2casules)
Next post will be about interfaces
Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Yeah mixed reports with the A6 on vocals I can understand and such the case with many LDC's,. The manufacturer touted it as a String instrument mic that happens to do fine on Vocals as well.It certainly must do a better job at Vox than what has already been discussed, the AT-2020, and the AKG Perception 120. Both of those thin and tend to be shrill and this I can personally vouch for. Let's look at bang for buck and usability. Just below 200 bucks isn't a bad option(the A6). Great at acoustic and can sound very nice on certain vocals and if it is too neutral or warm nothing a little eq can help. Taming a bright shrill mic much of a harder endeavor.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
OK I'll address the interface options in your price range. Sure Firewire is faster than USB 2 but ask yourself this how soon are you going to replace your computer? Reason, firewire is being fazed out with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Newer machines won't have Firewire. Also consider that fact that certain motherboard firewire chipsets on you computer or laptop may not work. You would have to research and factor all of this in. If you don't plan on upgrading your computer anytime in the coming year or so and your machines chipset is compatible, then I wouldn't worry about going firewire especially if the interface has the features and specs you require.
I really don't think you can beat the Steinberg UR22 @ around $150.00. nice preamps and converters, drivers(all better than my Echo Gina 3G pci card that I paid so much for way back when). The UR44 has more 1/0 and 2 headphone output jacks and DSP software included. It is at the 300 dollar ceiling though. The Mackie Black jack I hear has great pres but the drivers are so bad that many resort to using Asio4all which is to me unacceptable that Mackie hasn't addressed this as far as I know. Focusright stuff isn't bad, so I'll leave it to other forum members to offer their suggestions. One quick note about the UR22. The early, possible first units shipped had a potential flaw when using just on mic that required phathom power. Some condensers exhibited a slight low frequency noise @ 30khz. Using two mics wasn't an issue. Steinberg addressed that and gave dates and the range of serial #'s for possible affected units which they replaced. They still have that page up, but buying one new now wouldn't even be of a concern. At least they handled it right.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
OK I'll address the interface options in your price range. Sure Firewire is faster than USB 2 but ask yourself this how soon are you going to replace your computer? Reason, firewire is being fazed out with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Newer machines won't have Firewire. Also consider that fact that certain motherboard firewire chipsets on you computer or laptop may not work. You would have to research and factor all of this in. If you don't plan on upgrading your computer anytime in the coming year or so and your machines chipset is compatible, then I wouldn't worry about going firewire especially if the interface has the features and specs you require.
I really don't think you can beat the Steinberg UR22 @ around $150.00. nice preamps and converters, drivers(all better than my Echo Gina 3G pci card that I paid so much for way back when). The UR44 has more 1/0 and 2 headphone output jacks and DSP software included. It is at the 300 dollar ceiling though. The Mackie Black jack I hear has great pres but the drivers are so bad that many resort to using Asio4all which is to me unacceptable that Mackie hasn't addressed this as far as I know. Focusright stuff isn't bad, so I'll leave it to other forum members to offer their suggestions. One quick note about the UR22. The early, possible first units shipped had a potential flaw when using just on mic that required phathom power. Some condensers exhibited a slight low frequency noise @ 30khz. Using two mics wasn't an issue. Steinberg addressed that and gave dates and the range of serial #'s for possible affected units which they replaced. They still have that page up, but buying one new now wouldn't even be of a concern. At least they handled it right.
A firewire interface can connect to a computer with Thunderbolt with a simple adapter cable. Simple as pie. However, any interface must have an appropriate software driver available to allow it to work with the computer. USB is a more than adequate connection for anything less than dozens of tracks or heavy use of sampled instruments.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 PM

For those that don't want to wade through threads at forums here are some YT examples using the ADK A6. I think the first one sounds fine but notice some lowend rumble that could be remedied with either changing the mic placement or a HP filter. notice no fx or eq in the vid

This one the Vox are the A6 and the guitar is a CAD GX1 2400 at the neck

2 A6's into a Zoom H4 recording acoustic

Sales pitch

and the YT page with these and other vids, including some humorous almost silly parodies.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ADK+A6

Finally a interesting clip comparison of various gear, pretty straightforward, pic a category wait a bit up come manufacturers and models and various sources are available to choose. With the YT factor in compression and set the quality as high as possible and good speakers/monitors suggested or even good cans. Same applies to the Clipalator.
http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator.aspx
some mics that have been discussed are listed,like the AT-2020
ADK A6, Cad e70's and Cad M179 and Octava MK-012 (most expensive of the lot) and a SDC. I hope this helps at least a little bit
Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 PM

As long as I'm hijacking the op thread here I'll continue a bit... I believe the decision is relevant

I mainly wanna pick out an interface, and mic(s) for my guitar primarily. I have no plan on upgrading my computer in the next coupe.. And by the sounds of it USB will work just fine. I'm thinking 5-6 tracks tops. Sounds like the akg120 isn't of the quality I'm looking for. I'm guna sample some videos of the cad e70's. I like what I've heard with the ADK A6 a lot sounds great. I also like the idea of stereo mics but have no experience with either. Budget vs rec quality is irrelevant to me to a certain degree. I don't mind spending a couple hundred extra if it's worth it.. (I'm sure that's a loaded question) if I went with the A6 would a SDC be a better stereo match for a complete sound or a pair of A6's?

I'm guna research the above listed interfaces, I appreciate all the responses. I'm glad there are those who know more than I do. Sure helps me out
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
As long as I'm hijacking the op thread here I'll continue a bit... I believe the decision is relevant

I mainly wanna pick out an interface, and mic(s) for my guitar primarily. I have no plan on upgrading my computer in the next coupe.. And by the sounds of it USB will work just fine. I'm thinking 5-6 tracks tops. Sounds like the akg120 isn't of the quality I'm looking for. I'm guna sample some videos of the cad e70's. I like what I've heard with the ADK A6 a lot sounds great. I also like the idea of stereo mics but have no experience with either. Budget vs rec quality is irrelevant to me to a certain degree. I don't mind spending a couple hundred extra if it's worth it.. (I'm sure that's a loaded question) if I went with the A6 would a SDC be a better stereo match for a complete sound or a pair of A6's?

I'm guna research the above listed interfaces, I appreciate all the responses. I'm glad there are those who know more than I do. Sure helps me out
Two LDC's usually aren't used recording stereo acoustics. I think the idea of one e70 and one A6 is another option I will try. Please keep in mind phase issues using two mics. X/Y positioning with a pair of SDC's minimizes that, and then there is the 3-1 rule. measure how far the mics are from the source and multiple x3 for the distance between the 2 mics.
Ears come into play as well and a phase switch on a preamp may help and there are plug-ins that claim to aid with this potential problem
Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 PM

The UR44 looks like what I need, like the features. I'm sure the 22is exactly the same with half the i/o correct? Looks like about $300 see some make offer ads. Ipad compatible (wonder if you still have to buy the $50 cubasis app?) I suppose one of each mic would be the best of both worlds. I kinda like the idea of two SDC like the cad's for cost and simplicity
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-05-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
The UR44 looks like what I need, like the features. I'm sure the 22is exactly the same with half the i/o correct? Looks like about $300 see some make offer ads. Ipad compatible (wonder if you still have to buy the $50 cubasis app?) I suppose one of each mic would be the best of both worlds. I kinda like the idea of two SDC like the cad's for cost and simplicity
Yes I will purchase the UR44 when some other needs are met. I am happy with the UR22
Enough to feel the 44's additional feature set is worth it
You do need the camera connection kit to use the class compliant option switch on the UR44 hooked up to an iPad. Seems like you pay for the Cubasis app as well. I am using my tablet right now but have found some e70 vids of interest I embed them tomorrow. Lots of choices using a pair is sdc's. X/Y, Otrf, higher pointed downword one over the right shoulder an on an on
Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:

While sampling some videos you may of come across these.
This one using one CAD e70 and trying 2 different mic placements. Nothing of particular interest to many here but ironic for me is the Broadcast mic he used(Shure SM7b) is my main vocal mic. Kind of fun seeing people using the same stuff you do

This one using the CAD e70 for acoustic gtr. and a CAD Triton for vox recorded at the same time (2 live tracks)

This guy does an awesome job putting this vid together recording all types of instruments using one e70 in a multi-track session. Now has me gassing for a Acoustic Bass

This vid is a comparison vid recording acoustic gtr. using CAD GXL 300 the
cad e70(only sdc used in this vid) CAD Trion 6000 and a Presonus M7

So far haven't found a video with someone using 2 e70's on acoustic, however plenty of other SDC stereo pairs from other manufacturers pop up all the time and what is cool is all the different mic placements one can audition. The internet has plenty of tips and discussions on varying mic techniques but that some times leads to lengthy heated discussions and flaming. I just filter through it all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD