The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-26-2005, 11:26 AM

OMGosh how could I have forgotten this.....I have all of Little Feats autographs.......Cool....

The Guitars:

2005 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion 3

@ STOLEN @ 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion - Serial # 83010043
@ STOLEN @ 2002 814ce LTD - Serial # 20020930110

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

http://bobbyfromnc.blogspot.com/

John 3.16
Old 04-26-2005, 09:16 PM

Another vote for TE. I saw him play in person for the first time last night in Toronto, what a treat!! Really there are many great guitarist over the years, I like most can think of many who have at one time or another deeply moved me.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:10 AM

I also met Michael Hedges while working stage crew at san Diego Stae University. I was wearing one of those yellow polo type shirts that said "CREW" on the back...he wanted to trade shirts! If I would have known what a profound influence he has since made on my life, I would have traded in a New York minute, but sadly the shirt had to be returned after the gig.

Working stage crew offered a number of opportunities for brushes with greatness. Tom Petty, Santana, Sting, Ziggy Marley, Bryan Ferry, the Dead, Dylan, etc. But nothing as memorable as Hedges with one exception:

I played the opening riff to "Stairway to Heaven" on Jimmy Page's double neck Gibson SG.

E-mail me for details: [email protected]

Regards,

Bret
Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 PM

I kind of jump in late here.
Anyway, I met only one of my favorite and inspiring guitar players ( I don't like to use hero ) twice, Larry Carlton. One was the normal after concert meet, the other was rather bizarre after concert meet (that's for another time). Very nice guy.
I would like to meet and talk with Jim Hall, Julian Bream, John Renbourn and Eric Clapton (I don't care about the order )
Just want to add, I like a whole bunch of musicians that don't play guitar.

Last edited by Bern; 08-10-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Luthier

Will hero is not the right word for me but, I have been blessed to meet and work with some great musicians.

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 08-10-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorTay anFay
The fifth, Stevie Ray Vaughan, will not happen in this lifetime. Maybe the next, though.
I had a really creepy dream once. I was on a flight and the guy sitting next to me was jotting some notes on a song he was working on. Anyway, I listened to his licks and said, "hey, isn't that Purple Haze?" The guy said yup; I got a look at him and asked, "you really look like Hendrix", to which he answered "yup, that be me". My reply, of course was, "but you're dead!". His reply was "you are too!"
Woke up in cold sweat!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I got to meet a few greats in my time.

Years ago, Joe Pass did a guitar clinic at Holy Cross College, in Worcester, MA. I got to meet him and got his autograph. He was a great player and a great guy as well.

This past August, I attended the Newport Folk Festival. I got to meet Del McCoury, Bela Fleck, and Richard Thompson and got their autographs.

This past Labor Day, I went to the "Rhythm and Roots Festival" in Rhode Island and got to meet one of my all-time favorite players, Sonny Landreth. He did a smokin' set and was autographing CDs and other memorabilia after. He was selling t-shirts as a benefit for a friend of his. I got to talk to Sonny and had him sign a tee-shirt. I asked him about some of the tunings he uses and he verified that he uses minor chord tunings on some of his songs such as Congo Square. Only problem is now I can't wear the tee-shirt! He's a terrific guy and has played with many of my favorite players including John Hiatt, Jerry Douglas, John Mayall, etc. The list is way too long to type here. In my mind he has about the most unique sound out there.

drive-south
Old 10-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Hmmm, looks like I'm way late to post on this one.. But hey, a good post is a good post..

So, I'll probably get flack for this for the rest of my life.. But, I met Chad Kroger(of Nickelback) in 2003 - I was dumb struck - and he was pretty mad (we'd been chasing him for awhile.. 'we' being my mom and I, lol). But I got his autograph, and needless to say he always picks me out(and shudders! ha ha) in the crowd when I'm at a concert.

I met Doyle Dykes(nice guy!!) and his daughter in 2004, at a GC presentation.

six degrees of seperation:

My mom was best friends in highschool with Stevie Ray's room-mate right before he "made it big".. Does that count?

My mom met a (very drunk) Leo K, on an airplane - didn't get his autograph though..

And my vocal coach in Nashville was personally taught to be play the guitar by Chet Atkins(how cool is that!?) - and I was lucky enough to see him in Nashville, from the first row at the Chettie's shortly before his passing - he was a great man.

Sharon
'06 Baby Taylor - "Cry Baby"

"The resident unoffical Morgan spokes woman"

Morgan player #26 - www.morganguitars.com

"If men are from Mars and Women are from Venus then Drummers are from Pluto" - 'Still Crazy'
Old 10-29-2005, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGirl
My mom was best friends in highschool with Stevie Ray's room-mate right before he "made it big".. Does that count?
That's more like a brush with greatness.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:28 AM

Bobby K.

Does your set of Little Feat autographs include Lowell????

OBTW, are you the prim (and proper) inister (what's that?) of cocobola, or the PrimeMinister of cocobola?

Addressing the thread, no! I really haven't met any of them.

I've been blessed to meet some really nice/ really talented guitar players, most of them are fellow AGF members and not of the internationally famous variety.

I've talked with Dan Crary, Doyle Dykes, Chris Proctor, etc. (I think the Taylor clinician program is awesome).

Of my guitar/singer-songwriter heroes who are still living, I'd like to meet:

Eric Clapton (yeah, like that would happen - what would I say?)
Ry Cooder (saw him in a small venue, does that count?)
Neil Young (hope he's feeling OK)
Jackson Browne (the author of many of my favorite songs)
Don Henley (I've seen a guitar in his hands)

Of the "gone before" variety, wish I'd met

Stevie Ray
Jimi
Lowell George
Frank Zappa

Last edited by tbondo; 10-29-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:48 AM

Well, I never got to meet my all time guitar hero, Chet Atkins. Merle Travis was another one that decided to depart this life before I got to meet him. BUT, in the last few years I have met and become friends with Paul Yandell, Chet's accompanist. Also Doyle Dykes has become a very good friend. We stay in touch with each other on a regular basis. I have become acquainted quite well with Tommy Emmanuel, a very warm and caring person. My playing at the CAAS and other venues has enabled me to get acquainted with many of my heroes that I otherwise wouldn't have. A somewhat unknown, nowadays, gospel finger style guitar player named Dwayne Friend is my biggest living guitar hero. Dwayne is the one that rekindled my desire to play guitar a few years back.

My friend, Paul Yandell, wrote a song called "I've Been Lucky." That's kinda the way I feel. I love to play guitar and I'm glad I have the opportunity to do so.

Thanks,
Old 10-29-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Leo...

Leo Kottke 4x when he played at the State Theater here in Kalamazoo (I have one of his broken strings from that evening). I also met BB King and Lyle Lovette.

My other passion
Old 10-29-2005, 03:25 PM

I treated Shane Barnard to Applebees and hung out with Bebo Norman after a show.

If Jim Tozier ever makes it back out to Cali, that'll be three...
Old 10-30-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Bop til ya drop

Back in the 70's...I was struggling with four guitar cases, trying to wedge my way into Westwood Music so I could convince Fred to order my wares...a Taylor 12, Larrivee, Augustino, and Alembic. Holding the door was Ry Cooder. He let me in and turned around to follow, asking me what I had. By the time Fred came over, Ry had them all out giving them a road test. What a sales aid.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:52 AM

The only one of my guitar heroes I got a chance to meet was Robert Fripp, along with the rest of the 1974 line up of King Crimson. They were at a record store in the city, signing copies of The Night Watch, the complete Concertgebouw live 2 CD set. Fripp seemed very small sitting there, and I kept my comments short since he seemed uninterested in being there. He was more interested in saying hello to my wife, who had tagged along but was not a fan at all.

The other guys seemed more appreciative to meet us. Bruford was very gracious and apologized that the heat was turned up too much in the building; John Wetton laughed loudly when I apologized for having nothing original to say to him; and David Cross grinned happily and drew a smiley face along with his autograph.

I get the feeling that most guitarists I would consider "heroes" are too old and cynical these days to want to meet someone like me. Most fans are probably very annoying, and these guys have seen it all to feign interest anymore, so I can't really blame them.

1997 914c
Ibanez AG 195
Ibanez Howard Roberts Artist 1976
Edwards E-LP 90 LTS
Van Zandt STV-R2 ('63 strat copy)
VS Strat
Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III (Ebony/Gold)
Domingo Ortega 1a Rio (Cedar/Braz.)
Aria Sinsonido

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell