The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-26-2017, 08:48 AM

Not to seem like a poindexter, but as a musician I have to ask, when and where would you play that? What is an "amicus"? A 12 string mandolin? Is there a genre of music where a musician needs to be switching back and forth between a 12 string guitar and a 12 string mandolin?

Even if it is meant as a wall hanging GLO, respect to the luthier. It is hard to make good use of printed decals on a high end guitar. They have a way of making a guitar look instantly cheap. This one doesn't feel cheep. Gaudy, well yes. That was intended. But the decals don't make it seem like it was sold in the TJ boarder line. And that is not easy to pull off! I can only imagine the sinking feeling in the luthier's stomach as he heard the client outline his vision for this guitar. I suppose he could have asked for a "classy B-Dazzled" look. [emoji33]
Old 08-26-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtwguitar View Post
Not to seem like a poindexter, but as a musician I have to ask, when and where would you play that? What is an "amicus"? A 12 string mandolin? Is there a genre of music where a musician needs to be switching back and forth between a 12 string guitar and a 12 string mandolin?

Even if it is meant as a wall hanging GLO, respect to the luthier. It is hard to make good use of printed decals on a high end guitar. They have a way of making a guitar look instantly cheap. This one doesn't feel cheep. Gaudy, well yes. That was intended. But the decals don't make it seem like it was sold in the TJ boarder line. And that is not easy to pull off! I can only imagine the sinking feeling in the luthier's stomach as he heard the client outline his vision for this guitar. I suppose he could have asked for a "classy B-Dazzled" look. [emoji33]
The Amicus is a short scale 12 string, tuned to D, like a guitar capoed at the 10th fret. It has a mandolin-like sound.

And those "decals" are actually hand painting and gold leaf.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
The Amicus is a short scale 12 string, tuned to D, like a guitar capoed at the 10th fret. It has a mandolin-like sound.

And those "decals" are actually hand painting and gold leaf.

In the immortal words of Ootek, good idea.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:05 PM

To each, his own. I don't have to like a piece of art (and that guitar certainly qualifies) to appreciate the great effort and obvious skill that went into it. Ditto for certain styles of music.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
And in GoT terms, Jon Snow would disdain it, but Jaime Lannister would be all over it....
I know who John Galt is, but who is John Snow?
I try not to watch much television. If there is time to sit, there is time to play guitars, or pet my cat, or....
Old 08-28-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I know who John Galt is, but who is John Snow?
I try not to watch much television. If there is time to sit, there is time to play guitars, or pet my cat, or....
Even if I had the time, I don't have the cable subscription to watch Game of Thrones. But sometimes it seems like the only one, and those cultural references have seeped in somehow..
Old 08-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your interest in the unveiling of one of our latest custom Emeralds.

For anyone who is not signed up to Facebook, you can still video the unveiling video - Here is a link to it. We got a great kick out of seeing Jon's reaction! https://business.facebook.com/Emeral...4964970406647/

Best wishes from all the team,

Sean
Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Even if I had the time, I don't have the cable subscription to watch Game of Thrones. But sometimes it seems like the only one, and those cultural references have seeped in somehow..
You are not the only one, Uncle. We don't have cable either -- not since Gulf War I, and then only because the cable service was left on in our new house at that time for 3-4 months. I am aware of Game of Thrones, but I miss most of these cultural references. Movies too. I go see a movie or rent a Redbox about once a year ,whether I need to or not. People often want to bring a new tune to our ukulele club to play, and say it is from "___insert movie here____". That does me no good.....
Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 AM

This link should work also:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...817391646&_rdr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber