The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 PM

Jim, Dave, and Sean... thank you guys for your comments now and previously. I've been learning from all of your experiences!

I'm looking forward to having an acoustic that I can step outside with regardless of temp or humidity differences, and can leave out and handy anywhere in the house regardless of the wonderfully dry climate that we enjoy here.

I won't be letting go of my Martin nor my Eastman, but they're now going to be sharing me with a RainSong!

I'll post a NGD thread after it arrives.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM

Oh man, the RainSong Shorty arrived late this afternoon and I've only had a few minutes to tune up and check it out. It is so gorgeous with the high gloss top and the size is perfect. Also... the neck - fabulous profile, I love it. Great action, too. And the tone... beautifully balanced from lows to highs, with no prominent spikes in the frequency range. Really nice, sparkly tone. Lastly, the Elixirs (which are virtually brand new and unplayed) sound great at first blush.

I KNOW I'm going to love this guitar - I do already!

One thing that continues to astound me is how great a CF guitar can sound, particularly the RainSong Shorty, as compared to all-wood guitars.

I have no doubt in my mind that this is one of the best sounding and best playing of the CF instruments made today. RainSong really has nailed it with this. And the price? It hardly gets any better than this in the world of CF.

Big shout out and thanks to KRAMSTER for making it possible for me to drill down to making this choice through direct, playing, hands-on experience! Now that I have the instrument in hand and have played it, I know that my choice was the right one for me.

Last edited by DHart; 08-17-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

D., you've had a unique experience to have had the opportunity to try so many. Glad you're happy with your selection and now one of your own. Enjoy!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
D., you've had a unique experience to have had the opportunity to try so many. Glad you're happy with your selection and now one of your own. Enjoy!
Thanks, Tom. I have been blessed by the experience, indeed.

I will do a NDG post sometime in the next few days.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
bry... in a couple of days, a RainSong CH-OM-1100NS (from Ted) will be arriving at my door! I agree with you, these are among the nicest playing and sounding CF guitars extant.

TO recap:

I recently had the opportunity (thanks to Kramster) to test-play quite a few different CF guitars, one right after the other in a single sitting!

Included, if I can remember them all correctly, were Emerald X7, X10, X20, & Amicus; RainSong CH-WS1000, CH-OM1000, & CH-Parlor; CA OXE & Cargo, Blackbird Savoy, McPherson Touring, Journey OF660, and perhaps a few others that I don't even remember.

Each of them had a unique feel and sound.

OF THEM ALL... the RainSong CH-OM won me over! Pretty much so, from the get-go. It just had the best overall combination of rich, balanced tonal range, easy playability, and comfortable size. What more can you ask for? Price???

So much so, that I just put my money where my mouth was/is, paid the bill, and Ted (LA Guitar Sales) has shipped a RainSong CH-OM1100NS (what was previously called the "Shorty') to me, arriving on Thursday! 12-fret, short scale. (My second guitar purchased from Ted & Helene. The other being an exquisite Eastman E10-OOM all solid, flame mahogany. Also a 12-fret, short-scale.)

Not only was I won over by the full and well-balanced tone, the easy-playability, and the comfortable body size of the CH-OM... but all that coming at a price that beats nearly every other CF guitar out there? And that considerably, compared to many of them?

How does all that come together so magnificently? I don't know. But I'm not complaining about it!

Ha! I just saw this. What a great purchase. Congrats!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Ha! I just saw this. What a great purchase. Congrats!
Bry... thanks, buddy! I'll have a NDG thread up soon.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
What a fun thread, DH. Sounds like a fruitful visit, and knowing Mark I'm guessing it was a lot of fun as well. As to your findings, I'm not surprised you're favoring the CH-OM.

FYI, I had a small hand in the development of that model, which is more commonly known as the Shorty. About six years ago Ashvin, the owner of Rainsong and I decided to build a small run of custom guitars for LA Guitar Sales, and after some back and forth we ended up going with a hybrid OM with a unidirectional Concert Series top. (first time this was done) I advertised the guitar, which we called LA1-LE as the warmest sounding Rainsong to date, and it was. We built 15 guitars, one I kept, and the rest sold in a few months. By this time I was harassing Ashvin pretty good about building a smaller, more travel friendly guitar, a project that would start with the new NS, short scale 12-fret neck. While working on the Parlor, the new neck was put on our custom OM, and the Shorty was born. The guitar was an instant hit, and I'm petty sure it's still a best seller for Rainsong, it certainly is for us, and with the new CH price point, that is not likely to change. Were I limited to one CF guitar, or even just one guitar, the Shorty could very well be my choice.

Here's my LA1-LE in front of my DR3100.

Hey Ted, please use your influence to convince Ashvin to re-issue a Rainsong 12-string! Want one! Thanks!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:31 AM

Wish Rainsong would re-issue a 12-string. Al Petteway performs with one, but they are currently not available. Maybe Ashvin would consider making them again? I own two RS guitars and gig with them regularly.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Wish Rainsong would re-issue a 12-string. Al Petteway performs with one, but they are currently not available. Maybe Ashvin would consider making them again? I own two RS guitars and gig with them regularly.
They changed their factory tooling and construction method when they went with the truss rod. The old molds for the earlier necks apparently don't work with the new factory flow. They might not even have the equipment to use the old molds anymore.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
They changed their factory tooling and construction method when they went with the truss rod. The old molds for the earlier necks apparently don't work with the new factory flow. They might not even have the equipment to use the old molds anymore.

So I've heard. Apparently their 12-strings were just great: light weight and resonant, and with all the benefits of CF construction. Maybe some day they'll be back?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber