The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Either one of these after clear coating is applied is going to look spectacular, IMO.
Right ac, this is undeniable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I prefer the other one, Jimmy. That said, the darker grain on the lower half of this latest one does appear what seems like flames to me. Pretty cool. I still prefer the other one though, but you can't go wrong with either. Tough decision.
Comparing the two, I have to agree with you that the first one seems more outstanding with cleaner lines and a more definite grain pattern. BUT, I still could not shake off that "flag" resemblance I have with that first one. That was hard times for me.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:28 PM

Feeling out of hope and despair, I am left with the options of either reverting back to the original bubinga top, or a proposal to wait for another piece of ziricote (at a possible upcharge and of course, a later build time).

And just when you think there is no more solution, Alistair and Sean came back to me with this:

Option No.3

where to upload images
Old 07-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

You poor guy! I know how you feel--so many options, so little time. In the meantime, I'm enjoying watching you sweat. Keep up the good work. And I'll let you know when my new, super, awesome Emerald Electric guitar shows up.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Feeling out of hope and despair, I am left with the options of either reverting back to the original bubinga top, or a proposal to wait for another piece of ziricote (at a possible upcharge and of course, a later build time).

And just when you think there is no more solution, Alistair and Sean came back to me with this:

Option No.3

where to upload images
Imo, this one looks like a less desireable version of the second one where I said that the bottom dark grain looks like flames.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
You poor guy! I know how you feel--so many options, so little time. In the meantime, I'm enjoying watching you sweat. Keep up the good work. And I'll let you know when my new, super, awesome Emerald Electric guitar shows up.
My pleasure to share with you my "painful" moment, you devil!

And don't tempt me into getting a new build with your incoming EmerElectric!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ah, I don't think he's sweating this... fun to play with the options, but the guitar is done - he knows what he has. AND, he gets to tease us.

Looking at all the options Jimmy posted, you can't go wrong with any of them. I have to say that I really like that "flame look," but I would be delighted with each and every one.

Now, if you really want to make him sweat, refer him to the new video Emerald posted this morning of the latest shipment of amazing veneers!
Old 07-27-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Imo, this one looks like a less desireable version of the second one where I said that the bottom dark grain looks like flames.
Hey Tom, the "flame" of this piece spread outwards as compare to the first one. Are you able to see what I saw - the face of a man or beastman, beyond the flame? I saw Devilman (iconic Japanese manga comic character).
Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Now, if you really want to make him sweat, refer him to the new video Emerald posted this morning of the latest shipment of amazing veneers!
Wowza! That new vid is making me sweat indeed Capt! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Hey Tom, the "flame" of this piece spread outwards as compare to the first one. Are you able to see what I saw - the face of a man or beastman, beyond the flame? I saw Devilman (iconic Japanese manga comic character).
It may be there, but I'm not seeing the face of anything.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:37 PM

Using ziricote can be tricky, particularly when you don't want the light color sapwood, that leave us very limited material to work on. This is double confirmed by the kind folks at Emerald.

At this point, we maxed out all options, and leave no stone unturned. Here I present to you the very last option, Option No. 4, which I gladly called Sonic Scream.

upload images
Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

If I was choosing one, my preference ranks in the following order from best to least: 1, 2, 3, 4. In this last option, I definitely see a screaming face in the center-bottom.

So Jimmy..........which are you choosing?!
Old 07-27-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
If I was choosing one, my preference ranks in the following order from best to least: 1, 2, 3, 4. In this last option, I definitely see a screaming face in the center-bottom.

So Jimmy..........which are you choosing?!
Make a guess, Tom.

upload images
Old 07-27-2017, 08:30 PM

Well it's no contest which is the spookiest looking !

The screaming face appears to be flanked by two huge-headed, menacing, spidery aliens ....

I guess there's an element of the Rorschach test about all of them.
Probably shouldn't say what we see, might reveal too much of our dark side !

Given those choices, which are all so great, I'd perhaps have gone with the one on the lower right of the group shot.
Looks a lot like some Braz rosewood I've seen (only ever in pics sadly...)

Can't wait to see the finished beauty !

Last edited by Long Jon; 07-27-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Make a guess, Tom.

upload images
N idea, Jimmy, but like Jon who also picked my #1 in the above post, again, that's what I'd choose. What's the center raw veneer? Since you don't want sapwood in the veneer, I assume you're not picking that one.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Well it's no contest which is the spookiest looking !

The screaming face appears to be flanked by two huge-headed, menacing, spidery aliens ....

I guess there's an element of the Rorschach test about all of them.
Probably shouldn't say what we see, might reveal too much of our dark side !

Given those choices, which are all so great, I'd perhaps have gone with the one on the lower right of the group shot.
Looks a lot like some Braz rosewood I've seen (only ever in pics sadly...)

Can't wait to see the finished beauty !
Jon, I concur with your thoughts on screaming face flanked by aliens. I almost dubbed it "H.R. Giger's Sonic Scream" haha. Well..

Rorschach test - this is something new I learnt today. Thanks!

It was tough for me to choose too. I practically rotated the pics in all directions, thought hard on how close these pics compared to the real veneer (as affected by camera lighting, shoot angles) etc etc.

Luckily, all my queries were answered by Sean, AND, the consensus and affirmation by Alistair, that the choice I made, will make the most beautiful T8, period.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber