The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-09-2016, 09:04 AM

Default Are you a reso-prepper?

This came up last night. One dude has a spare cone/set of cones for each guitar, and an emergency backup for each type to boot! so three single cones, and two tris... Probably in a bunker... With 7 handwinding powered "green tuners"

I only have a spare single cuz I put a hot rod in...

I'm apparently not going to survive the zombie apocalypse...

And yes those tuners exist.

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-2399790.../dp/B003AYNUI2
Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Ha, I'm a boy scout when it comes to gigging, extra strings, slide, picks, capo's... but no where near that..
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Mm, I thought I was OCD !
When I was gigging with a hard driving bluegrass band, I'd sometimes take a second dread in case I broke a sting (which i hardly ever did)

Yes, always have spare strings, and minimum tools, and spare tuner batteries.

That's about it.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 PM

Just as a general tendency, resonator guitar players tend to be tinkerers to a greater degree than most guitarists who play standard acoustic. Every dedicated resonator player I've known has made a habit of getting into their instruments, taking them apart, adjusting what needs adjusting and putting them back together again.

The guy you're referring to, though, sounds as though he takes it to an extreme.

Having just seen the film "10 Cloverfield Lane," which features three people trapped in a bunker together (excellent film, by the way,) now I know how the bad guy played by John Goodman could have made things worse:

"Think this is bad now? Fine, you asked for it: now I'm going to take out my Dobro and play a really crappy version of 'Alabama Jubilee!!' "

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-21-2016, 04:22 PM

I haven't even taken the cover off mine yet out of curiosity... I guess I am not prepped.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I haven't even taken the cover off mine yet out of curiosity... I guess I am not prepped.
I've only been in any of my resos twice. Once to put a hotrod cone in a single, and once I took the hand strap off a different single to tweak the saddle.

I took Bob Brozman's advice both in his book and online to never open up and mess with a reso unless absolutely necessary to avoid mystery buzzes and such.

I appreciate that when he wrote that originally the only Nationals available were REAL Nationals, and it's not as big a deal to tinker with modern Nationals.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Just re-thinking this, I used to have a Dobro with a Quarterman cone that seemed to need adjustments quite a lot - so,once or twice I took it apart and re-assembled it.

My current Dobro - Gibson made - in 1999 I think. It was a gift from a dying friend looked good,but sounded awful. They were/are made with significant intonation issues and appalling cones.

Fortunately we have a reso tech luthier nearby who told me that Beard make a spider to correct the Gibson geometry, and they make great cones - so I got the kit and he fixed it.

Nationals ? My Style "O" was perfection -but now gone. My Estrelita needed a minor set-up - is all.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:02 PM

I've been playing old Nationals for a long time and I have never needed to replace a cone, with the exception of one that had been crushed and re-shaped prior to purchase but just wouldn't hold up under string tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Every dedicated resonator player I've known has made a habit of getting into their instruments, taking them apart, adjusting what needs adjusting and putting them back together again.
I would consider myself to be a "dedicated resonator player" but the only time I have needed to "get into" one of my Nationals was when I purchased one in poor condition and dire need of a setup. I've had one of my old Nationals for eleven years now, and I have never had to tinker with its innards, in spite of it being the one I gigged with the most.

I guess I do stay "prepared"...by having multiple Nationals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments