The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 AM

Default Strat - Blocking the Bridge

Hi,

I have a cheap strat knock off. It is missing the trem bar... and so I want to block the bridge (hopefully to increase sustain and also fix some tuning issues).

What are the best materials/ways to do this?

I have a piece of oak, I have measured the space, and I could make a wooden block to go in there...

Otherwise, I could put plastic shims into it until it was fixed...

Does the entire cavity need to be filled, or is just a small block to prevent the bridge from moving enough?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 AM

Are the springs still in the body cavity? Just tighten the screws holding the springs and put a block between the tremolo bridge and the back side of the guitar towards the tail. Just tightening the springs solved my same issues.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:10 AM

Yes, the springs are still there. I really want it rock solid. Right now, it has to be tuned between every song. Honestly, I get real nervous, and any time spend fiddling with gear makes my hands shake... when I can get up and play without any distraction, everything goes better If I'm thinking about anything other than the music, a mistake is on the way (omg... did I really tune it to standard, was my tuner 440 or 441, or drop tune, was it off a few cents, ack! what am I playing again?).

I like to tune once, before I even make eye contact with anyone, and then step up and take off.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:19 AM

Ok yes then the block brings some peace of mind too . So do both, tighten the springs and mount the block on the other side of the springs. One other thing, since you said it's an inexpensive Strat, the tuners may not be the best, I always tune UP to pitch, not tune down. It seems to help the string stay in tune better. Other things that can help with tuning stability is lube the nut slots.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 AM

What type of bridge? If it's the vintage-style with six screws, like so:

A two-post trem like on an American Standard or a double-locking tremolo might be better blocked like so, just because these tend to sit higher and it might feel more natural to approximate its "floating" position:

Old 02-12-2015, 10:32 AM

Simple block of wood behind the tremolo block will do the trick. I'm not a fan of tightening the springs and setting the bridge on the body, didn't get on with it when I tried.

If its going out of tune that often and that badly, theres likely to be issues with the set up. It is possible to have a fully floating bridge and still have reliable tuning. Awkward, but possible!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:08 PM

The tuners will be next if this doesn't fix it up. I can jiggle the place where the strings go in when it is under tension. One string slipping causes everything to go out of tune just a bit... I have tightened the tuners and that helped, but I want to go all the way fixing whatever I can.

I think the images of the block of wood show exactly what I was planning. This one looks more like #2, but I think it is 3 springs instead of 2.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:19 PM

NEVER had ANY problems with just decking the entire bridge. Assuming you have good body/neck angle it is the most stable solution IMO. Just leave springs on tighten down the claw, and deck the bridge unit. You keep the mass of the springs for whatever sustain that might buy, and have a very stable, no tuning issues solution. Might even give more sustain as the bridge and body are coupled?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Do what this guy did. Use $2.70 worth of coins.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeiscool42 View Post

And, you will always have fare for the Bus!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeiscool42 View Post
Ah yes... that is what I was hinting at with the plastic shim idea... but I didn't think plastic was a good idea (might compress under pressure). Now metal shims! I could probably do a couple stacks of pennies for less I'll do this one for sure tonight... easier than measuring and cutting a block of wood for the right size.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:48 PM

Oak will work just fine.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Hi Paulee…

The latest time I locked my bridge down, I did just tighten the springs, and lower the bridge plate to the deck, and then raise the saddles to the proper height.

It's working fine.

I've done it both ways (well all three ways if you count blocking both sides of the bridge extension).

I don't know if there is an advantage to any of them.

It certainly stays in tune better now, and I can tune to Dropped on the fly.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 PM

I tensioned the springs with the bridge to the deck. Had to figure all that out before the internet. More stable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IWWrSXl3Ys

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars