The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Brighter trebles?

Recently heard a jazz duo live. Lead player had a classical amped and the sound was great. I really liked the sound of his trebles and during a break asked him what strings he was using. He said La Bella 2001. I'm going to try a set. Thought I would ask the forum here to see what others might recommend. I have been playing D'Addario EJ45s on a cedar topped guitar for years now. I like the tone but going a bit brighter might be nice too. I don't want a brittle or metalic sound, no steel string twang. Just a bit more clarity or focus maybe.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 PM

Go to http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/c...set-11066.html

After many years of experimenting

This is my RGR set,,, its bright and lively without being brittle,,
Rick
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 PM

La Bella strings are pretty underrated, IMO. They tend not to get mentioned in "serious" discussions about classical strings, but they are really good and cheap.

If you want bright trebles, try D-Addario "titanium trebles" or carbon trebles (made by a few different brands, such as Hannabach). You might want to try some flamenco sets (numerous brands) as well.
2002 Line 6 DuoVerb 2x12
1999 Warwick Streamer Standard
2003 SWR LA15 1x15
2012 Remo 14inch Key-Tuned Djembe
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special B View Post
La Bella strings are pretty underrated, IMO. They tend not to get mentioned in "serious" discussions about classical strings, but they are really good and cheap.. . . . .
I agree 100%. I've used La Bella strings for years and rate them highly - as good as (and often better) than strings costing much more.

To the OP: the "bright" trebles in the act you saw may be due to the fact that the guitar was amped. Nylon treble strings have higher harmonic frequencies than steel strings and these can be accentuated by the amplifier. When I play my classical guitars through an amp I find that I take a fair bit off the treble EQ to get a sound I like.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special B View Post
La Bella strings are pretty underrated, IMO. \they are really good and cheap.

If you want bright trebles, try D-Addario "titanium trebles" or carbon trebles (made by a few different brands, such as Hannabach). You might want to try some flamenco sets (numerous brands) as well.
True, Labella is a decent string,,, Carbon trebles are the brightest,
but some are so, so thin diameter , it is hard to play,, ie Savarez
Allience trebles...
Im convinced this is the set to have,,
http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/c...set-11066.html

I have no benefit from hawking these strings,, i just say its the best i found
,, unless you are trying to tame a too bright guitar,, than i would say Labella
Rick
Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Oasis GPX Carbon, Normal Tension strings. You can try them for free. Just send Dave Hepple an email at "dhepple at oasishumidifiers dot com" and give him your address and tell him you'd like to try his Carbon Treble strings. He'll send you a set. The new sets have improved bass strings as well. They are awesome strings. Great sparkle!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:46 AM

+1 to Oasis and Knobloch...check also Wyres and Aquila perla
Old 11-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I see carbon trebles mentioned. Do they have any drawbacks, like sonic artifacts or finger noise that might be a problem in recordings?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

They don't, but some players don't like them. Guess that's why there are so many strings to choose from.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I see carbon trebles mentioned. Do they have any drawbacks, like sonic artifacts or finger noise that might be a problem in recordings?
Other than being thin and more clinical sounding (which is personally why I don't play them any longer), they can have intonation issues more so than a typical nylon string. Pretty much all builders are going to setup a guitar for standard nylon strings. You might need a compensated saddle to get a carbon string to intonate correctly but it depends on the string and guitar ultimately.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I really disagree with that statement. I find that carbon strings are much more consistent in intonation than nylon - particularly on a "g" string. I compensate my saddle and nut for nylon, but carbons intonate perfectly at the same positions without any changes. If I intonate for carbon, a nylon will never be correct. As a matter of fact, nylons are so inconsistent, that you have to intonate by brand. D'Addarios will have a different intonation setting vs Savarez, and from tension to tension they will be different.

I also find carbon strings to have much more complexity of sound on my instruments to nylon. Of course YMMV.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the addl carbon info from both sides. My Ramirez R1 has gorgeous bass but no action in the nylons. Huge and bell-like with little attack or resonance, which really limits me on modern stuff. Thinner and more sterile may be beneficial, though intonation is a big concern as this is for recording only. Will have to give them a try.

BTW, not sure if Oasis is still giving away strings. I never heard back. No biggie, but wanted to give a heads up.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM

I really like the sound of LaBella's 850's. Very bright, but I've had a few clunkers into wise.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
I really disagree with that statement. I find that carbon strings are much more consistent in intonation than nylon - particularly on a "g" string. I compensate my saddle and nut for nylon, but carbons intonate perfectly at the same positions without any changes. If I intonate for carbon, a nylon will never be correct. As a matter of fact, nylons are so inconsistent, that you have to intonate by brand. D'Addarios will have a different intonation setting vs Savarez, and from tension to tension they will be different.

I also find carbon strings to have much more complexity of sound on my instruments to nylon. Of course YMMV.
Thats fine but even string manfacturers claim that carbons can be more problematic in this department (go read Oasis page on their gpx strings) let alone all the players who have had issues including myself. its a generality yes and you may have not had this problem but its something to keep in mind as its quite prevalent.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I have read the Oasis page more than once, and I can't find anything there there regarding difficulty of intonation. I have also discussed this issue with Dave Hepple(Oasis), in person, more than once, and, as I recall, he believes intonation is better with Carbon Trebles that are well made, as his are. All that said, to my ear, the carbons give a much more complex sound with rich overtones than nylons which are much more fundamental in nature. This is my opinion, though and nothing more. Our views may vary greatly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical