The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Grateful guitar not stolen

I only own one guitar, and it is a beautiful custom built classical guitar which is integral to my life, assisting to put bread on the table. On Saturday evening I arrived home to discover my flat in a mess, all electronic equipment (TV, laptops, ipod) had been stolen. My guitar was at the door of the lounge, but was clearly too large for the hole they had created in the burglar proofing. I am grateful. We all know that instruments such as these can never simply be replaced.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 PM

Very lucky. So glad they didn't take the guitar. I know most 'stuff' can be replaced, but a guitar is a very personal item that can sometimes be irreplaceable.

Good luck with recovering anything else the low-lifes stole. Perhaps you now need to write a song about the experience with that guitar!?
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 AM

Sorry to hear that happened, glad you didn't lose the guitar.

When having everything stolen happens you feel so flippin' violated it enrages one.
Well glad out of this bad thing that at least one good thing happened, they were not able to get your guitar.
Cheers,
B.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 AM

Glad to hear it wasn't stolen. My classical guitar is nothing special in the grand scheme on things (it isn't custom, and it was only $1500 or so), but it is special to me; I have played it daily for the 10 years I have owned it. A few houses in my neighborhood were robbed this year, and I have been very paranoid that my guitar might be stolen. I would be devastated. If my TV, lap top, and car were stolen, I wouldn't be devastated. Those are just things. My guitar means more to me.

So I know how you feel. Sorry that you got robbed at all, but I can see why you feel lucky. I hope the crooks get caught, and I hope you have the means (via insurance or savings) to replace what was taken. Good luck.
2002 Line 6 DuoVerb 2x12
1999 Warwick Streamer Standard
2003 SWR LA15 1x15
2012 Remo 14inch Key-Tuned Djembe
Old 11-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Cool Grateful Guitar Not Stolen...

Most burglars are not too bright. That's why they resort to stealing. Typically, they tend to take things that are small, easy to carry, and easy to sell. They wouldn't have a clue if a guitar was valuable or not, and they're bulky. I have a number of guitars that would be difficult, if not impossible to replace, and I have the serial numbers written down that I keep locked up in a very heavy safe. And I don't have hardly any jewelry, so even though I have several valuable collections of things, old CDs, movie DVDs, china, silver, clocks & watches, books, music boxes and belt buckles...I don't see myself as a target. It also helps to have insurance.

I once had a 18-speed mountain bike stolen right off the rack on my car, so I know the feeling of being violated. The thief was, dumber than dirt, because he didn't bother with my 10-speed racing bike...titanium frame, narrow 27" tires on magnesium rims, a special saddle, stripped down to reduce wind resistance, and worth a lot more than the bicycle he grabbed. Like I said...dumber than dirt!!! I think my guitars are safe.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Musical minimalist

What an awful feeling that must have been. I worry about that a lot.
Glad you kept your prized possession!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:49 PM

What idiot, burglars. They leave the most valuable object (which is good) and take electronics for which they MIGHT get $200, while you spend far more replacing them, fixing the mess, and then days or weeks trying to recreate the data on your computers. Arrgghh
Martin Steve Miller Pegasus #299/383
Taylor 14 body BTO ("The Junebug Special")
414ce
National Rez O-14
1971 Tak 12

Last edited by M19; 11-06-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Masked swearing
Old 11-05-2013, 11:59 PM

Thanks for thoughts everyone. Yip, violation of privacy feels hardest. Sorting out insurance etc an inconvenience, but rehearsing is sweet.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Sorry and relieved for you both. However, I am trying to understand how a TV can get out a hole that I guitar can't?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:36 AM

Flat screen TV (which had been a gift to me). How a person got through beats me! Guitar was too broad.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
Most burglars are not too bright. That's why they resort to stealing. Typically, they tend to take things that are small, easy to carry, and easy to sell. They wouldn't have a clue if a guitar was valuable or not, and they're bulky. I have a number of guitars that would be difficult, if not impossible to replace, and I have the serial numbers written down that I keep locked up in a very heavy safe. And I don't have hardly any jewelry, so even though I have several valuable collections of things, old CDs, movie DVDs, china, silver, clocks & watches, books, music boxes and belt buckles...I don't see myself as a target. It also helps to have insurance.

I once had a 18-speed mountain bike stolen right off the rack on my car, so I know the feeling of being violated. The thief was, dumber than dirt, because he didn't bother with my 10-speed racing bike...titanium frame, narrow 27" tires on magnesium rims, a special saddle, stripped down to reduce wind resistance, and worth a lot more than the bicycle he grabbed. Like I said...dumber than dirt!!! I think my guitars are safe.

Glen
Almost the same thing happened to me. I have a Cannondale mountain bike and a Moots Ti road bike and they just stole the mountain bike. I guess they just look expensive. Anyway this guy was so stupid he tried to sell a $1500 bike at the pawn shop for $50 dollars

I got my bike back

But yes the moment you realize you got ripped off it sucks.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 PM

Keeping your guitar and bicycle serial numbers is definitely a good idea (mentioned above; I'm just agreeing). They often end up in pawn shops or guitar/bike shops and if you know the serial number, you can sometimes get your stuff back and the crook can get caught (report it stolen and the police checks the pawn database; pawn shops have to report what they buy). If you don't, then the pawn shop gets an expensive piece of gear for $50, and the thief gets away with it.

You can also check Craigslist and Ebay for any stolen items, but only if you have a record of your serial numbers can you prove they are yours.
2002 Line 6 DuoVerb 2x12
1999 Warwick Streamer Standard
2003 SWR LA15 1x15
2012 Remo 14inch Key-Tuned Djembe
Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear about your violation OP.

I dread the day that I come home to find the man cave ransacked and my guitars, amps, PA/recording gear, etc stolen.

They'll have to get through "the sentinel" first...

Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special B View Post
Keeping your guitar and bicycle serial numbers is definitely a good idea (mentioned above; I'm just agreeing). They often end up in pawn shops or guitar/bike shops and if you know the serial number, you can sometimes get your stuff back and the crook can get caught (report it stolen and the police checks the pawn database; pawn shops have to report what they buy). If you don't, then the pawn shop gets an expensive piece of gear for $50, and the thief gets away with it.

You can also check Craigslist and Ebay for any stolen items, but only if you have a record of your serial numbers can you prove they are yours.
I keep a spreadsheet (backed-up in multiple places) that's got serial numbers, values, descriptions, possible heirs, etc for ALL of my toys. It's for theft, insurance, and most-of-all... so my wife has some idea of what I've got and the value if I pass before she does. It's bad enough that she has to deal with my passing and disposing of my collection -- and makes me feel better to give her an idea of what's there and who to give it to (or how much to sell it for).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical