The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
According to the HTS MattV provided, an Emerald X20 falls under classification 9202.00.0000

It appears to me that the US is not an exempt country for duties and taxes, with the exception of countries that are covered under the NAFTA. Ireland is not one of those countries which leads me to believe that either Emerald pays the D&T for their customers and either rolls the cost into their retail price or eat the cost outright. They may have negotiated a contract with AN Post/ USPS of some kind too but I suspect that is not the case.

I'm personally interested in hearing your response K20C. Congrats on another fine Emerald!
As I read that form, some states are exempt from the tax, some not. It doesn't say why.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:19 PM

It's interesting to note that Tombsox received his Texas emerald recently without a fee, while K20C got his with a duty fee when they were days apart in delivery. Possible theory is that customs is taking into consideration when the guitar was ordered. K20C's guitar was ordered recently while Tom's has been a work-in-progress since last year. This means fees on Emerald guitars might be a new thing this year if the guitar was ordered this year. If this is the case, my x20 shouldn't have a fee since I ordered in mid December. I'll report what I find out at the end of this week/beginning of next week.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
It's interesting to note that Tombsox received his Texas emerald recently without a fee, while K20C got his with a duty fee when they were days apart in delivery. Possible theory is that customs is taking into consideration when the guitar was ordered. K20C's guitar was ordered recently while Tom's has been a work-in-progress since last year. This means fees on Emerald guitars might be a new thing this year if the guitar was ordered this year. If this is the case, my x20 shouldn't have a fee since I ordered in mid December. I'll report what I find out at the end of this week/beginning of next week.
I don’t think this theory is correct. I ordered my Emerald in January, received it yesterday and paid no duty. If I had to guess I’d say K20C was charged in error.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I think that you guys have it easy over there. I've imported three guitars from the USA to the EU.
If i remember correctly, we pay between 3 to 5% of item cost, plus shipping, then 20% (VAT) on item cost, plus shipping plus excuse tax, then handing/admin charge on top (varies according to shipper) who is effectively collecting taxes for HM government.

As the USA isn't the EU surely there should be imoprt taxes of some sort.

This may be of help:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...%3D%3D/p/0/c/0
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

It’s not a matter of money, I can afford the duty. It’s the principle. If it’s an error to charge me, I want it reversed. I’ll send the appeals paperwork off and see what happens. I’m sure I’ll have a response in 6-12 months. Ha!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
I don’t think this theory is correct. I ordered my Emerald in January, received it yesterday and paid no duty. If I had to guess I’d say K20C was charged in error.
That's good to know Jaan. What day did it ship out?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
I was charged 8.7% according to my paperwork. That’s consistent with the classification and rates set forth in Chapter 92. Very odd.

Waiting to hear from Sean which, of course, will be overnight.

Emerald’s FAQ states duties don’t apply to USA sales. But, until the FAQ were updated recently due to my input, they also (incorrectly) stated shipping was included in the quoted price.
Any word from Sean?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:42 AM

Default Was the puzzle solved?

Wondering?
Old 02-28-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

All Sean said was he didn’t think fees applied. I just mailed the appeal to customs. It will be some time to hear back, I’m sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber