The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 AM

Default Recommend a new Bouzuoki?

Hi Everyone,

First post here!

Having played Mandolin for more years than I care to remember, last year I took the plunge and bought myself a Bouzouki. I settled for a cheap Ozark model (which didn't sound too bad and played rather nicely after I had it properly set-up), until I knew if the instrument suited me.
Long story short I've got the Bouzouki bug and am planning to treat myself to something a little nicer.

Can anyone recommend a good UK based maker? I should say, my budget is £1200 (ish - I'd happily go higher, the wife lower).
I live in the north west, so the obvious local choices are Fylde:

www.fyldeguitars.com

or Stefan Sobel:

www.sobellguitars.com

I play a Fylde Touchstone Mandolin and love it, never had the pleasure of playing a Sobell.

I've also heard good things about Paul Hathway:

www.paulhathway.com

has anyone here played his instruments? He's based at the other end of the country - doesn't have to be a deal breaker but it'd be a long drive if I don't like them!

Look forward to your input,

Bill.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Dermot McIlroy (Antrim N.I.) makes them, but I have no idea on the price. That seems low for Dermot's stuff.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Guest 2423

Bouzouki.......repeat 100 times. finally, that word appears here!
If you are starting with Sobell and Fylde, you have also rather ended the discussion. However, 1200 is a down payment. Fylde's Octavius model would be closest to your price range, but not likely the zook you want. It's nice, more for accompaniment and has a "softer" sound as it's built like a flat top guitar rather than an archtop. Octave strings.
Zook builders seem a bit scarce at the moment. One suggestion would be to contact Roger Landes in the US. He has done a great deal of work in promoting the zook here and knows all the builders and could offer some excellent advice. can't remember contact details but if you google zoukfest you will get results.
back to repeating "bouzouki" another hunnerd times...................
Old 05-01-2016, 06:34 AM

Have a look at Nigel Forster (NKForster) he is based in Leipzig now but well worth a look

Iain
Tokai love rock (83 Japan)
Tokai bass

"A dreamer easy in the chair that really fits him"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments