The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-25-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I'll echo what many have already said. At the very top end of the price range is Kim Walker. I don't know how he does it, but his guitars are simply magical. At the more affordable end of the bespoke guitar range is Mike Franks (MJ Franks). I've owned a couple of his guitars and, for the price point, they cannot be beat.

Other names well worth considering are Franklin Guitars (Nick Kukich), Julius Borges, and Circa Guitars (John Slobod). I have never played a Borges or Circa so I know them by reputation only, but I am privileged to own a more recent Franklin OM and it is beyond spectacular: exceptional clarity with round, fat trebles. Along with Eric Schoenberg, Franklin Guitars is largely responsible for the revival of the traditional OM in the '70s and that reputation continues to be deserved today. The Franklin Guitars from the '70s and '80s are very good instruments--and the ones being built today are even better.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:31 AM

I spent about five years searching for the perfect 0 body guitar. I was initially set on Martin, then I played a Collings and decided that would be the one when I had the money.

Then, one day I went to the shop where I'd be trying out guitars over the years (Acoustic Vibes, in Tempe, AZ) and played a guitar that blew everything else out of the water: a Bourgeois 0 Country Boy. I fell in love immediately. It had an Adirondack spruce top and a figured mahogany back. I considered buying it right there, but I decided to wait a few days. But when I got home I decided I couldn't wait, so I called the store and asked them to hold it for me. Would you believe it? In that hour-and-a-half period, someone else bought it. So, I did the next best thing and had Bourgeois build me up the identical model. I can't say that the one I got was 100% as beautiful and sonorous as the one I played the day in the shop, but it was close, and it's still the best sounding and easiest-playing guitar I've ever picked up.
Fender HMT

Last edited by TomB'sox; 06-25-2021 at 11:44 AM. Reason: masked profanity
Old 06-25-2021, 02:04 PM

Bill Kraus at Kraus Guitars makes a great traditional styled OM with some nice, modern appointments under the hood. I have a OM Bill made for me that sounds amazing, and have commissioned another in a L-OO style.
Take a look at his site;

www.krausguitars.com
Old 06-26-2021, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Standard shape...

One of the things that I'm very keen on is having the same outline as a traditional OM...so a Circa works for me but a Bramwell/Huss & Dalton doesn't.

I know it's pernickety...but it's one of the things I really want. Also a Collings headstock is okay but a Walker one isn't (and neither is a 9 year waiting list!).
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 06-26-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
... but a Walker one isn't (and neither is a 9 year waiting list!).

No joining the waiting list these days. He stopped taking orders about 5 years ago when the wait reached 9 years.

Please keep us posted on your quest.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

No joining the waiting list these days. He stopped taking orders about 5 years ago when the wait reached 9 years.
And, frankly, at $40k (well his website suggests that if his instruments keep appreciating at the same rate then if you could order one today it would in fact cost you $86k when delivered!) that would be "most unwise" domestically!

Quote:

Please keep us posted on your quest.
You can rely on it!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 06-26-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
And, frankly, at $40k ... that would be
At least 20% cheaper than an entry-level Monteleone!

I drafted Kim's pricing policy when he and I discovered that his buyers (including dealers) were flipping his guitars for 2 to 3 times the purchase price, before taking delivery. It's a market out there.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
At least 20% cheaper than an entry-level Monteleone!

I drafted Kim's pricing policy when he and I discovered that his buyers (including dealers) were flipping his guitars for 2 to 3 times the purchase price, before taking delivery. It's a market out there.
Yeah, I have no problem with the free market...but for some reason I just couldn't. (oddly, when I was younger and a professional violinist, I would have no problem with that on a violin).

The problem with something like that for me would be I would cry every time I caught it with a fingernail!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 06-26-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say the quickest, least expensive route to bliss might be to find a used Martin Authentic '31 OM-28, '19 000-30, maybe '33 OM-18 or 00028K and compare them to your 000-28EC. If you have limited experience with these models, you may be surprised by what you hear. Also, most shops will take a Clapton model in on trade without thinking twice because they sell better than Authentics, which appeal to a narrower audience because they’re more costly to make, have non-adjustable neck reinforcement and are more fragile overall. Comparing a solo build to a Martin Authentic would be a fairer fight.

In my opinion, the best of the Authentics can be in many ways as good as a great solo build. I say this as someone who only owns solo built guitars. I love Kim Walker’s guitars I agree with everyone here that they’re on whole the most consistently wonderful steel strings I’ve played (regardless of wood combination or body size). It's important to remember that these guitars are over thirty thousand dollars. Used. They do not sound 5-6 times superior to the best Authentics I’ve encountered and a pagani zonda would be a stressful daily driver for most.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Smile 1918 Martin...

Mind blowing experience yesterday. Played my pal Tim Luranc's 1918 garage rafters find Martin 000-28

He replaced the 1 7/8" Nut neck, with a martin blank he carved himself, as the original was broken. Very slim V was super comfy in my old small fretting hand... first 1 7/8" I ever fondled that was comfy for me.

I would go for the long body 12 fret 000, the sound was otherworldly! In the best possible way.

Happy hunting

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 06-26-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:36 PM

I have far less experience with these fine guitars than any of the ,e,bees who have responded but if it were me looking, I would give serious consideration tho the Froggy Bottom and the Goodall listed in the classifieds from a member in Switzerland. Those are favorites of mine from the list of guitars I have played at shows and in shops and they are used, a little less expensive than a new one, and they are ready to go. Just thought I would mention that I have super memories of Suffolk from living there outside of Bury St. Edmonds a number of decades ago.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-27-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say the quickest, least expensive route to bliss might be to find a used Martin Authentic '31 OM-28, '19 000-30, maybe '33 OM-18 or 00028K and compare them to your 000-28EC. If you have limited experience with these models, you may be surprised by what you hear. Also, most shops will take a Clapton model in on trade without thinking twice because they sell better than Authentics, which appeal to a narrower audience because they’re more costly to make, have non-adjustable neck reinforcement and are more fragile overall. Comparing a solo build to a Martin Authentic would be a fairer fight.
That's interesting...I hadn't really considered that as an option.
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 06-27-2021, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
I have far less experience with these fine guitars than any of the ,e,bees who have responded but if it were me looking, I would give serious consideration tho the Froggy Bottom and the Goodall listed in the classifieds from a member in Switzerland. Those are favorites of mine from the list of guitars I have played at shows and in shops and they are used, a little less expensive than a new one, and they are ready to go. Just thought I would mention that I have super memories of Suffolk from living there outside of Bury St. Edmonds a number of decades ago.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff! I do agree - they are both fantastic guitars that do a great take on the traditional tonal profile. I'm only selling them because I just received a custom ordered Froggy K and already have another (very similar, but with a neck I prefer) Goodall THr000.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I bought an amazing Martin OM-18 Adirondack/Sinker Mahogany from Mark at Reno’s Music. It’s got got everything in spades, including a vintage tone.
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021
Old 07-02-2021, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Default I must say...

...I like the idea of a GE/Authentic 000/OM.

I have my eye on one. :-)
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop