The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 04:27 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
If what you say is true, there's no problem. If these guitars are over-priced, they won't sell. The would be sellers can ASK whatever they want. The buyers don't have to buy if the price is too high. That's the nature of a market.

On the other hand, if they find buyers who will buy at those inflated prices, then they weren't too high after all, were they?
Didn't say it was a "problem" - just an observation.

My point was that there is a much higher percentage of this activity lately

Old 11-28-2021, 04:39 PM

Default Used guitar prices

I’ll probably purchase one more guitar and call it good. Most likely a
00 or 000-18 which appear to going for $500-$600 more than early pandemic time frame.
I’ll almost certainly buy new knowing that it’s not the shop gouging me but rather a reflection of what they have to pay for it.
Just my opinion.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If what you say is true, there's no problem. If these guitars are over-priced, they won't sell. The would be sellers can ASK whatever they want. The buyers don't have to buy if the price is too high. That's the nature of a market.

On the other hand, if they find buyers who will buy at those inflated prices, then they weren't too high after all, were they?
Absolutely correct. These posts usually relate to a sense that there is an unspoken "right price" (i.e., bargain basement) that is steady for guitars regardless of market forces. This is simply not the case.

My experience is quite the opposite. If my last two "high end" guitars sell for asking, then it would be the greatest % losses Ive ever had. This after over 150 sales, so I dont lack data points.

Bottom line, its been an AGF favorite pastime since inception to complain/comment/discuss about perceived high prices.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:08 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:

Well said.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Totally agree, many asking prices are totally out of line. However, given the supply/demand situation and very low dealer inventory everywhere, I can't blame individual sellers, even those in our own AGF classifieds, from trying to get top dollar for their instruments right now.

"Make hay while the sun shines"
I think many of you are missing the point. Let's be honest. I believe what Todd was referring to, is price gouging. And yes, many are doing it even on this forum. Taking advantage of the supply & demand problem, some are jacking prices up on their used guitars, which they paid hundreds less for a year or two ago. So lets not get self-righteous & point fingers at Reverb & new guitar dealers. I've seen (and still see) plenty of it here in our group. There is a lot of crap going on, that gets blamed on the supply & demand problem, but translates more accurately to simple "taking advantage," as indicated in the statement above.
Steve

Last edited by Stevien; 11-28-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
I think many of you are missing the point. Let's be honest. I believe what Todd was referring to, is price gouging. And yes, many are doing it even on this forum. Taking advantage of the supply & demand problem, some are jacking prices up on their used guitars, which they paid hundreds less for a year or two ago. So lets not get self-righteous & point fingers at Reverb & new guitar dealers. I've seen (and still see) plenty of it here in our group. There is a lot of crap going on, that gets blamed on the supply & demand problem, but translates more accurately to simple "taking advantage," as indicated in the statement above.
Steve
There is quite literally no such thing as "price gouging" - especially when it comes to discretionary and luxury items. You cannot "take advantage" of someone by holding an Olson over some *unsuspecting* person in the hopes of making a few bucks. That's called investment returns.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Although I'm no economist and my comments are clearly over-simplified, this is really just a function of supply and demand. Certain commodities became (and continue to be) scarce ever since the beginning of the pandemic, guitars among them. I spoke to a prominent dealer the other day who told me that the orders he's placing with Martin right now are for 2023 shipment.

Our friends at Acoustic Center in Melbourne are selling Collings dreadnaughts for $10,000 and still can't keep them in stock.

Supply and demand. Try buying a new mountain bike at a discount from Specialized, Giant, Trek, Santa Cruz or Cannondale right now. Try buying an aircooled Porsche 911, in any model year from 1963-1998. Try a gallon of gas.

I wish it was otherwise.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 11-28-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:57 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Steve
I’ve never thought of selling a guitar at a price both parties agree is fair as “gouging.”

Old 11-28-2021, 10:06 PM

Right now seems to be a sellers market. In 3-5 years if the rate of estate sales increase exponentially as many reports predict, this would become a buyers market.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-28-2021, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

I have seen some ridiculous prices as well, but I have also been fortunate enough to trade into a guitar that I anticipate will be with me for the rest of my life in my 67 D18.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:11 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
I think many of you are missing the point.

Yes - not talking "general market trends" or economics here.

I'm talking simply about a MUCH higher percentage of used guitars being listed at almost double of what they are going to realistically sell for.

It's that simple.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:39 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I’ve never thought of selling a guitar at a price both parties agree is fair as “gouging.”
The guitars I am referring to are NOT selling - so only one party is "agreeing".

Old 11-29-2021, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I find this is only an aggravation due to unrelenting GAS.

I see many beautiful and excellent guitars, used, new, boutique, whatever, for prices I would never consider for a guitar based on my income (which allows a fair bit for luxuries), spending tolerance, skill level and rational use/need.

However…I WANT THEM!

So it is a struggle. When I do upgrade from my wonderful and more than adequate current acoustic which I love, I will look at the market and I think there will be some reasonably priced options given my modest needs. I see a lot of guitars that I consider very nice at reasonable deals in the $1k-$2k or so range that do seemed priced fairly.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I think Todd is being too diplomatic about this... LOL... I tend to be more straight to the point... This discussion isn't about a rare Olson or something of that matter... and really its not about price gouging either.... People can ask what they want... but lets not take up all the space in the for sale section and waste our time with a guitar you decided to resell for a $1000.00 more than when you purchased it new last week...
Old 11-29-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I have noticed some folks asking some pretty aggressive prices, mostly on Reverb, but also here. Typically it seems to be someone who just bought a guitar at MAP and isn't mentally prepared to take a 20%-30% hit.

I also think that buyers of new guitars are paying more, due to the fact that the heavy discounts have largely dried up. For example - You used to be able to get a D18 Standard all day long for $1850 from Maury's, or Jon Garon, or a few others. Those guitars would sell on the used market for around $1600 with the original buyer losing $250. Now from what I understand you are pretty much paying MAP when you buy a new guitar. Maybe a 10% discount which gets you to around $2200, but I don't think anyone is selling them as cheap as they used to.

I don't really keep up with the market for the $5K+ single luthier builds so I don't really know what the 'fair' price on those is, but they are typically 'one offs'. Vintage guitars have certainly exploded, but there aren't that many of them for sale at a given time, so that makes some sense. I'd imagine that the same is largely true for the high end single luthier builds.

I also very much agree with the folks that say you can't really 'price gouge' on something as discretionary as a guitar.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion