The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 10:45 PM

Default Baton rouge vs Cort and Eastman

I just received my baton rouge guitar I ordered from German through thomann.com. There is a finger style player on YouTube and all he plays is a Cort gold a6 and a baton rouge x34s. I found some online for around 400 USD. And I have to say I am absolutely blown away it can hang in there with my martin 000-15m and my larrivee 00-05. I think it's even a touch better than my larrivee om-03r. A lot of people think that Chinese guitars are junk. Over the last three years I've come to learn you can get a budget guitar made in China that can best even some of the most special American made guitars. I am truly blown away.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:59 AM

I've been eying them. They have 46 nut but are of unknown quality. Baton Rogue is what I was refering to.

Last edited by takamineGD93; 11-27-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamminout View Post
Over the last three years I've come to learn you can get a budget guitar made in China that can best even some of the most special American made guitars. I am truly blown away.

It's only a "budget guitar" because labor is comparatively cheaper there. Other than that some of these guitar are definitely on-par with American made guitars, and can be even better. Of course we can only compare the guitars on their individual merits, and the "golden era" manufacturers will always benefit from their aura, but I think the last decade has been great for anyone who wishes to buy quality instruments at affordable prices.

I am very happy with my Eastman E20SS. I would have ended up paying 3 times more for a similarly spec'd Gibson (Adi top/EIR back and sides, nitro finish).
2011 Fender Mustang 65' reissue
Old 11-27-2021, 04:13 PM

It does have a 46 mm nut but if you play a 1 3/4 it won't effect your playing I eyed them for about a year before I pulled to trigger and it's far exceeded my expectations. As far as Eastman goes I honestly like the Cort gold's better myself but I've never played a Eastman with a red spruce top either.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamminout View Post
A lot of people think that Chinese guitars are junk. Over the last three years I've come to learn you can get a budget guitar made in China that can best even some of the most special American made guitars. I am truly blown away.
Hard to believe that after decades of quality instruments by Eastman, Blueridge and others this perception persists.

Remember when people thought everything from Japan was low quality? Then it got too pricey to manufacture there and factories moved to South Korea. Now their wages and economy have risen to where it's too expensive there. IMO, some Chinese products are where their Japanese counterparts were several decades ago.

I have two Eastman guitars that are fabulous guitars - not just good value for the $ spent.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:27 AM

Oh, I've been eyeing the baton rouge because it is 46mm. I consider myself nowdays as one of silly moustaches apostels.
I mailed thomann and asked them to describe the neck and they described it as on the chunky side. That's also what I'm looking for. have a record king 1 13/16 chunky neck and it's the most comfortable I ever played (everybodys hands is different).

It's just that it's a new unknown company. Well chrismas is comming..we'll see.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:37 PM

I ordered from thomman and am more than happy with the purchase

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion