The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-26-2021, 11:50 AM

Default ETL mics for studio or home recording?

i have my eye on a stereo pair of ear trumpet Delphinas. I know these are great for live but how do they fair for home recording for guitar, vocals, etc?

i know they probably wont have the detail vs a neumann for example.

thanks
Old 11-26-2021, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryblank View Post
i have my eye on a stereo pair of ear trumpet Delphinas. I know these are great for live but how do they fair for home recording for guitar, vocals, etc?

thanks
I've used a stereo ETL mic for a number of my recent you tube videos, which are "home recordings", but with the video camera running. I think they work fine. I wouldn't describe them as lacking "detail". They just have their own sound. I feel as if they may have a wider pickup pattern than some mics, which probably works well on stage - the times I heard them used live they seem to pick up everything on stage, but I might be wrong about the pickup pattern.

Here are two examples of me using a stereo setup on guitar (no vocals):

Old 11-26-2021, 09:40 PM

very cool. sounds good.

how would you compare them to your others, AT, etc

what interface do you use.

i have a motu m2, and an ssl2. when i get the etl’s im going to see which interface works best and return the other
Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:

thanks
I just bought a Delphina. Ear Trumpet is just about walking distance from my house so I'm gonna pick it up this week and try it on a gig Friday.. Wasn't planning on recording with it, but I'm sure it would be more than fine.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
very cool. sounds good.

how would you compare them to your others, AT, etc

what interface do you use.

i have a motu m2, and an ssl2. when i get the etl’s im going to see which interface works best and return the other
I think their strongest point is their looks, which is not to say they sound bad at all. I get the feeling, as I said, that their polar pattern is wider than some cardiod mics, so the stereo image isn't as defined. That's likely a benefit when using them for live performance, since you have a larger sweet spot. Not sure it translates to stereo quite as well. Most applications where you see them being used are just a single mic.

For those videos, they were just plugged into a Zoom H6. You can compare to other videos on my channel using the AT4050ST mic. I think they compare fine, and I can make up differences in the mix, if needed. The differences between most condenser mics is relatively subtle when you get right down to it.

I compared them to my normal studio mics (Brauners and Schoeps), using better preamps and interface when I first got them, and felt they were at a slight disadvantage, but those mics cost many times more. And I don't recall why I thought that in any detail, I should revisit that. I've also tried the AT4050ST in that type of setting and have never chosen it over the Brauners or Schoeps.

But the look of the ETL mics gives them an immediate advantage in a video, as well as for live use.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Oh, I guess I posted a studio comparison back when I first got them, ETL vs Schoeps, vs AT4050ST:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=594328

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD