The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
A couple of thoughts that come to me after seeing the first episode.
How would it have changed everything if Clapton actually replaced George?
John was on a tight leash with Yoko on the other end. John looks like he is possibly under the influence of some substance a lot of the time.
I hate what Yoko did to him.
Didn't yoko lay down some caterwauling with the band after George left? Can't find the clip...but of course there's this gem https://youtu.be/CZ-eudMTcoc

Last edited by catt; 11-27-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:22 PM

I don’t want to go into a slam Yoko bit, but I always loved Chuck’s reaction at 2:00 when she started:

https://youtu.be/ZbGuxGGOIV0

I’m only half way through the first episode. It really is for the aficionados (me). The process is fascinating.

On the first day, George briefly plays what looks like a Gibson full size hollow body - an ES-350 or L5 or something. There’s no clear shot of it. Or is that the J200?
Old 11-27-2021, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
I don’t want to go into a slam Yoko bit, but I always loved Chuck’s reaction at 2:00 when she started:

https://youtu.be/ZbGuxGGOIV0

I’m only half way through the first episode. It really is for the aficionados (me). The process is fascinating.

On the first day, George briefly plays what looks like a Gibson full size hollow body - an ES-350 or L5 or something. There’s no clear shot of it. Or is that the J200?
I caught that Gibson Archtop too Stevo. It was brief but definitely an
f- holed Gibson. He used the J200 throughout and someone above mentioned a Fender Redondo type acoustic George used. He was definitely the fabs gear head.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 11-27-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
Didn't yoko lay down some caterwauling with the band after George left? Can't find the clip...but of course there's this gem https://youtu.be/CZ-eudMTcoc
There is a full two minutes of John and Yoko making noise after George leaves. It will turn your stomach
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster
Old 11-27-2021, 03:46 PM

I'm not busting on Yoko - she's part of the story.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklemm18 View Post
There is a full two minutes of John and Yoko making noise after George leaves. It will turn your stomach
Not really. She actually was ahead of her time and influenced musicians such as Sonic Youth, the Breeders and Bjork and the B-52s. I understand that she's not everyone's cup of tea (and obviously not yours) but there are many musicians who took aspects of the performances and incorporated it into their music.

I remember my mom in 1969 who called the Beatles' music I was playing a bunch of noise.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Nothing like a bunch of old guys ripping on a woman because of the decisions and actions of a group of guys. Just delightful. BTW, when John and Yoko were doing their feedback and wailing jam, don't forget Paul was over on the drums, beating them senseless, having a total blast. She's not my favorite singer either, but neither was Ringo, and he sang on infinitely more Beatles tunes than Yoko did. She didn't do anything wrong - John fell in love with her. His heart, his actions. The guys in the band broke up - Yoko didn't break up...

-Ray
Old 11-27-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Nothing like a bunch of old guys ripping on a woman because of the decisions and actions of a group of guys. Just delightful. BTW, when John and Yoko were doing their feedback and wailing jam, don't forget Paul was over on the drums, beating them senseless, having a total blast. She's not my favorite singer either, but neither was Ringo, and he sang on infinitely more Beatles tunes than Yoko did. She didn't do anything wrong - John fell in love with her. His heart, his actions. The guys in the band broke up - Yoko didn't break up...

-Ray
That wasn't a commentary on who broke up The Beatles. They all had their part to play. More that that particular moment in an other wise enjoyable three hours was annoying but I get that was a raw look at the session. Paul was acting like a clown on the drums too. I always thought George was overshadowed and seeing them cut it up after he walked out was irritating...not trying to bash on women here.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster
Old 11-27-2021, 04:29 PM

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-29-2021 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Links removed due to a site with inappropriate content
Old 11-27-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
Not really. She actually was ahead of her time and influenced musicians such as Sonic Youth, the Breeders and Bjork and the B-52s. I understand that she's not everyone's cup of tea (and obviously not yours) but there are many musicians who took aspects of the performances and incorporated it into their music.

I remember my mom in 1969 who called the Beatles' music I was playing a bunch of noise.
It's rather epic that Yoko laid down that material with the quartet (I think Billy was there rather than George?) John and especially Yoko were artists so their product working with whatever tools they had (I don't mean 'caterwauling' as pejorative here). It was during the sessions - why I brought it up.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
She actually was ahead of her time and influenced musicians such as Sonic Youth, the Breeders and Bjork and the B-52s. I understand that she's not everyone's cup of tea (and obviously not yours) but there are many musicians who took aspects of the performances and incorporated it into their music.
Exactly.

IMHO, I’d even add (with hindsight vision always being 20/20) that by ‘69, the Beatles, Beach Boys, etc. were no longer on the cutting edge; the sound of the future was Bowie, the Velvets and the Stooges. And my takeaway from watching “Let it Be” is that perhaps that, deep down, the Beatles struggled with the idea that there wasn’t going to be another ‘Rubber Soul’, ‘Revolver’ or ‘Sgt. Pepper’. None of us know what those sessions were like but I highly doubt they had the tired, negative vibes I’ve observed in this film. It’s a a testament to their talent that ‘Let it Be’ and ‘Abbey Road’ are as good as they are.

Feel free to disagree!
Old 11-27-2021, 04:46 PM

I'm not buying into any revisionism concerning Yoko Ono. She was a completely horrible influence on Lennon and it was disgraceful sitting on a chair in the middle interfering with the lads. She had zero positive attributes.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-27-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I'm not buying into any revisionism concerning Yoko Ono. She was a completely horrible influence on Lennon and it was disgraceful sitting on a chair in the middle interfering with the lads. She had zero positive attributes.
I don’t think it’s revisionism at all. And I completely disagree with your opinion. But you are entitled to it
Old 11-27-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
Exactly.

IMHO, I’d even add (with hindsight vision always being 20/20) that by ‘69, the Beatles, Beach Boys, etc. were no longer on the cutting edge; the sound of the future was Bowie, the Velvets and the Stooges. And my takeaway from watching “Let it Be” is that perhaps that, deep down, the Beatles struggled with the idea that there wasn’t going to be another ‘Rubber Soul’, ‘Revolver’ or ‘Sgt. Pepper’. None of us know what those sessions were like but I highly doubt they had the tired, negative vibes I’ve observed in this film. It’s a a testament to their talent that ‘Let it Be’ and ‘Abbey Road’ are as good as they are.

Feel free to disagree!
I do disagree with you. I think you’re a little bit early on Bowie the velvets and the stooges. Also if you take their first couple solo albums and made them into one Beatles album it would be as good or better than the ones you mentioned. Come to think about it, they would have enough material for at least a couple of more.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
It’s not revisionism - that would imply a historic consensus to revise. It’s just opinions. You’re entitled to yours. I disagree with it vehemently. John had free will and acted on it. He’s responsible for his actions - not her…

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion