The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-24-2021, 06:01 PM

Default Plugins for acoustic fingerstyle?

I've got a UA Apollo and use some of their plugins, but I am curious, and being black friday and all, I thought it might be a good time to try some new stuff. I primarily use reverb, compression and eq. I'm not a big efx guy. What plugins do you guys like for solo acoustic? Bonus points if they are on sale for black friday!
Old 11-24-2021, 08:11 PM
Eric Skye

I'm a big Fabfilter fan myself. So Pro Q3 for eq, Pro C2 for compression, Pro R for reverb (most, but not all the time) and Pro L for limiting. I'm gonna keep an eye out for a deal on their de-esser plugin myself for voice over stuff..
Old 11-24-2021, 09:17 PM

Good time to pick up some plugins if you got the itch.

Some of my UAD favorites that are usefulish for fingerstyle include:
Little Labs Phase Alignment Tool
Neve 88RS Channel Strip
Fairchild bundle
LA2A bundle
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-24-2021, 09:25 PM

Spend your money on microphones and a audio interface, if you don't have them. So many people record direct from the pickup and you will never get the true acoustic sound of your guitar. You can add effects in software.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-24-2021, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Be sure to check out the thread we just had here on plugins, lots of interesting suggestions.

Since you have the Apollo, it's a great time to take advantage of their custom bundle sale - I don't think that ends on black friday ??, but I'm not sure how long it runs. I'd focus on the expensive plugins, since you can basically buy any plugin for $100 (4 for $399), and pick up some that cost almost that much alone, normally. For example, the Capitol Chambers reverb is excellent and unique. The Oceans Way plugin can be useful. The Lexicon reverbs are also nice. I typically use the LA-2 compressor (tho it's not one of the expensive ones) and the Ampex or Studer Tape Recorder. The Little Labs phase alignment is useful if you record with multiple sources, like mic+pickup, and sometimes the Voice of God is handy for beefing up low end. The Pultec and Neve EQs are nice, tho I tend to use FabFilter's EQ, since it just offers a whole different level of interaction - more modern. The UA stuff is good for classic vintage sounds. UA's Precision line of plugins are nice, tho for the most part I find non-UA equivalents to be more effective these days. Oh, the SPL Vitalizer is interesting.

Best thing with the UAD stuff, of course, is to just try stuff. Activate the demos, see what's usefulto you and go from there. If you buy anything, they'll reset all your demos anyway so you can re-explore later.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I've got a UA Apollo and use some of their plugins, but I am curious, and being black friday and all, I thought it might be a good time to try some new stuff. I primarily use reverb, compression and eq. I'm not a big efx guy. What plugins do you guys like for solo acoustic? Bonus points if they are on sale for black friday!
UAD let's you demo plugins for two weeks. It's a pretty easy thing to start the demos and requires no additional downloading. Try out plugins to see what appeals to you. There aren't any wrong choices so long as what you get brings something you like to the table.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-25-2021, 09:19 AM
Eric Skye

Just noticed Fabfilter stuff is 25% off this morning
Old 11-25-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Yea, thanks. I just bought the FF eq.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:37 AM
Eric Skye

Liquid Sonic's "Seventh Heaven" reverb for $49 is a very sweat deal https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/seventh-heaven/
Old 11-27-2021, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I saw that Seventh Heaven Standard deal as well, thinking about picking it up. I'm demoing their Cinematic Rooms right now, and while it sounds great it might be overkill for me as someone who does not know a ton about reverbs and just wants another one to experiment with. $50 vs $120, hmmm.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I bought FabFilter Q3 earlier this year and it’s fantastic. I’ve been trying to improve my dynamics and even if not actually recording, monitoring with the plug-in gives me an excellent visual graphic on how well I am doing balancing the dynamics from low end to high end.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-27-2021, 08:44 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I like Ozone 9 and the CSR Classik Studio reverb package.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-30-2021, 05:29 PM

Doug's suggestions, as always, are great, and I'll second all the FabFilter Pro Q-3 love. Since getting the hang of it (it has a remarkably deep feature set), it's always the first EQ I reach for. Even if I wind up replacign it with more characterful EQs in the final mix, it makes it so easy to spot problem areas that it would be worth the money even if it never wound up on a finished track.

The other plugin I'd really plug (haha, get it? ) is Gullfoss. It's a dynamic EQ that increases the clarity of whatever you run through it by identifying frequencies that are masked and either boosting them, cutting the guilty frequencies, or some combination of both, and it does so on the basis of real-time analyses that change 300 times a second, IIRC. You can also limit the range of frequencies it's responding to. It will improve recordings made in acoustically compromised spaces and works well as a de-esser to boot.

Trent

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD