The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-26-2021, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
With the (very high) quality of gear you have in your vocal chain, I'm a little surprised that you need to de-ess.
It's funny about sibilance... I've never noticed a correlation between the price of gear and the ability of microphones to reject sibilance. You'd think there would be but I've heard plenty of expensive mics that have been prone to sibilance.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-26-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
With the (very high) quality of gear you have in your vocal chain, I'm a little surprised that you need to de-ess.
Well I guess I am a ssspitty kinda singer Seriously though I am a fairly sibilant singer
And the ADK Z Mod 251 (Like the the original) is known for being fairly high end sensitive with a lot of top end presence and air . I probably should have opted for the 67 or 47 ,,,,,,but the "rarified" air on the 251 was too good to pass up

Or could be that and my recording technique and singing may not be optimum. The 251 especially, is hard to get the presence level I like, without easily getting too much,,,, a very fine line .... I know to dip my head slightly on "S'es" but I don't always remember

And it's not so much that I notice on the sessions playing back on my system speakers or HP's , it's there, but not overly so ... BUT it's more when they get compressed for Sound Cloud streaming and to a lesser extent on Youtube it can sound hissy distorted on the ess'es ,especially on my laptop speakers .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-26-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I scored a fantastic one and a half hour nap with the band TOTO going in the background.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-27-2021, 09:58 AM

I loaded up on some waves plug-ins yesterday. The linear phase multiband compressor, the in phase plugin, also the c6 multiband, a couple of the signature vocal plugins, the ssl bus compressor, the vitamin enhancer, and mushroom pusher… probably one or two more I don’t remember. At 29.99 each plus 1 free over $50, 2 free over 90, and 3 free over $120 it was too much fun per dollar to pass up.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-27-2021, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I already had this, but I see that oeksound's Soothe 2 is on sale for $149.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's funny about sibilance... I've never noticed a correlation between the price of gear and the ability of microphones to reject sibilance.
I didn't say anything about price. But I do think that sometimes sibilance happens when a preamp's unable to deal cleanly with a mic signal that's clean but both hot and bright.

Couch Standards
Old 11-27-2021, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't say anything about price. But I do think that sometimes sibilance happens when a preamp's unable to deal cleanly with a mic signal that's clean but both hot and bright.
My mistake then. I thought you implied it when you said "(very high) quality."

But to your point, are you saying that sibilance is more dependent on the preamp than the microphone? I've always attributed sibilance to the microphone (and the singer, of course) and I've never witnessed a sibilant mic becoming non-sibilant due to a change in the preamp. There may be some small difference but nothing so drastic that I start looking for the preamp that removes it completely. I'm sure you've had a broader experience than I have though so maybe you've seen something I haven't.

In the end, however, I don't worry much about where it comes from. Sibilance is just something that has to be dealt with. Of course, we want as little as possible going in but sibilance can be controlled and there are good tools out there that make it pretty easy to do so.

YouTube
Old 11-27-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
... are you saying that sibilance is more dependent on the preamp than the microphone?
It can be. With many people's hobbyist-level setups, the gain stages in the external pre and the interface are often far weaker links than the amp inside the mic, if it's a decent mic.

Couch Standards
Old 11-28-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Humm well that is exactly the issue I have is when the signal is fairly hot
I suppose it's possible, it's my pre's...... Although the Carbon pre's are rated about as clean with as high of head room as you going to find in an interface with a multiple of 8 pres.. And it is said to be excellent on conversion as well .

And I had to be careful with the ADK mic as well, when I was using my A Designs MP2 A But I may just try it again

But honestly I think it is more a combination of the mic , my specific voice and lack of better mic technique.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-28-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Well, I have done it....Ordered my first two plug in's.
On the recommendation and samples I heard from Doug Young, I bought Liquid Sonics Cinematic Rooms. For Acoustic Guitar one of the best reverbs I have heard.
And on the Recommendation of Jim1960 I bought Emotional Cellos. The Demo on this sounds enchanting.
I also bought a weighted Keyboard from Sweetwater...no deal there...but got a Cyber Monday price on Sunday for TC unitunes. They were already $15.99...and they lowered it to $10.99 each! So I bought Two more...that will give me 4 altogether..haha..Actually I will give one to a friend as a gift.
Tomorrow I will learn how to completely download these Items...I am 80% of the way there.
This old guy(me) has much to learn.

*Now I just need to Find a symphonic program on sale that is reasonably priced, but sounds good. I need it to have multiple Symphony(violins & Cellos) and Flutes, Oboe's, Basoon & French horn as solo's. Any recommendation's welcome.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

After demoing lots of plugins the past few days I splurged and got Cinematic Rooms Standard while it was on sale. I liked the sound while demoing it, and one can't have enough reverbs, right?
Old 11-29-2021, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
one can't have enough reverbs, right?

YouTube
Old 11-29-2021, 12:28 PM
Eric Skye

Just grabbed Fabfilter's Saturn 2 at 25% off
https://www.fabfilter.com/products/s...ration-plug-in
Old 11-29-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Just grabbed Fabfilter's Saturn 2 at 25% off
https://www.fabfilter.com/products/s...ration-plug-in
I will be super interested to hear how you are using this Eric. Please post some samples after you have had time to play with this. Saturation, tape, harmonics..is something that is so very interesting.
I just bought a complete Symphonic VI...BBC Orchestra Called The Core. Also on sale for Black Friday.
https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a...rchestra-core/
Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

After playing with the free download for an hour, I grabbed the Leapwing Audio StageOne plugin. The plugin is nearly idiot proof because you really can't overdo anything to the point of it being absurd. The effect it brings to individual instruments really adds to the weight of the mix.

Now I'm having a debate with myself about grabbing the JZ Vintage 12 microphone. The couple of videos that are out on it have impressed me. I have a day to make up my mind before the price doubles.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD