The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Mac M1 Max Chip

These new generation Macs are raising the bar quite high. For someone just starting to build a studio today, other than the discomfort of learning a new OS, I can't think of a solid reason to choose a PC over a Mac. These new machines are all beast-mode.

Relatedly, I think they are the writing is on the wall for closed dsp systems like the UA Apollo series. Those interfaces just make less sense in this new reality. Granted the near zero latency is a big selling point but with their hybrid engine, AVID has shown that the same near zero latency can be achieved without a closed dsp system. UA had better have something similar in the works or they're going to see some level of exodus as people realize the inability to work natively combined with the expense of having to buy a additional sharc hardware (so as not to run out of processing power for UA plugins) is no longer reasonable.

Article: MacBook Pro 2021 Geekbench Benchmarks Show Impressive Results For Pro Users:
The headline is that the new M1 Max powered machines are only beaten by some Mac Pros and iMacs using Intel's high-end Xeon chips....Orders for the new machines were beginning to overwhelm Apple within minutes of the new MacBook Pros going on sale. Delivery estimates have slipped from 1 week to up to 8 weeks in some cases overnight.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-19-2021, 08:24 AM

It’s amazing how these systems come full circle. In the 90s we used these Apple machines in engineering because of the RISC processors. But the software was poor. Now Apple has both again. I use PCs for my business but I would consider a new MacBook otherwise.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I watched the October Event and was pretty impressed with the new M1 Pro and M1 Max chips .
I agree while certainly not cheap these machines will likely place these laptops as a serious consideration of (the) computer ,,,for any home or smaller pro project, studio's and the video performance is perhaps even more impressive ...

So we will have to wait to see what the new Mac Mini and larger screen iMac will configure out like... But if Apple is true to form they will feature the same M1 Pro and M1 Max chips and may launch together late this year or early next year ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-21-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I agree while certainly not cheap these machines will likely place these laptops as a serious consideration of (the) computer ,,,for any home or smaller pro project, studio's and the video performance is perhaps even more impressive ...
The power of a Mac Pro in a laptop. That's just a crazy amount of processing power for the home studio.

YouTube
Old 10-19-2021, 12:39 PM

I'm following Apple Silicon from afar so far.

Yes, seems like they're getting very good performance. Finally M series chips have the ability to use modern amounts of RAM and they've stopped dropping port counts. Yeah! The pricing* makes me choke a bit for the new chips, but others' budgets will absorb the pricing with fewer problems than mine.

In the modern world, a lot of video work eats CPU and other resources and asks always for more more and maybe some more too. And time is money in some of that work. I understand that. And there are other examples of CPU power being easily justified.

But audio work?

I do some work In The Box. VIs and effects, but I rarely record with effects (some "vanity reverb" on vocals) in my studio where I prefer to record "real instruments" -- but the ITB work uses amp sims, "pedalboards" and other effects sometimes because it's almost an integral expectation to that world. And of course with things like full orchestra VIs, resources might be more challenged (I've heard RAM as much or more than CPU). My full orchestral VIs are older ones that seem to be gentler on resources.

What are those in this thread using in audio studios that are crying out for more CPU power? Or to put it another way, what is failing for you with your current Macs?

This is a sincere question. I think many here are better recordists than I am, though I'm recording a lot for my project. You likely have different workflows than mine, maybe better ones.

*In the modern Apple world it's not the entry level pricing that bothers me. Something like an entry level M1 Mac Mini or Air laptop are reasonably priced -- and for CPU performance outstanding at the cost. It's after I up them or this week's new model laptops to enough disk space and RAM to be comfortable for a long service life that I stop and go back to work on my current stuff. And in the modern Apple line you have to guess regarding needs over service life because nothing is upgradeable.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-19-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'm following Apple Silicon from afar so far.

Yes, seems like they're getting very good performance. Finally M series chips have the ability to use modern amounts of RAM and they've stopped dropping port counts. Yeah! The pricing* makes me choke a bit for the new chips, but others' budgets will absorb the pricing with fewer problems than mine.

In the modern world, a lot of video work eats CPU and other resources and asks always for more more and maybe some more too. And time is money in some of that work. I understand that. And there are other examples of CPU power being easily justified.

But audio work?

I do some work In The Box. VIs and effects, but I rarely record with effects (some "vanity reverb" on vocals) in my studio where I prefer to record "real instruments" -- but the ITB work uses amp sims, "pedalboards" and other effects sometimes because it's almost an integral expectation to that world. And of course with things like full orchestra VIs, resources might be more challenged (I've heard RAM as much or more than CPU). My full orchestral VIs are older ones that seem to be gentler on resources.

What are those in this thread using in audio studios that are crying out for more CPU power? Or to put it another way, what is failing for you with your current Macs?

This is a sincere question. I think many here are better recordists than I am, though I'm recording a lot for my project. You likely have different workflows than mine, maybe better ones.

*In the modern Apple world it's not the entry level pricing that bothers me. Something like an entry level M1 Mac Mini or Air laptop are reasonably priced -- and for CPU performance outstanding at the cost. It's after I up them or this week's new model laptops to enough disk space and RAM to be comfortable for a long service life that I stop and go back to work on my current stuff. And in the modern Apple line you have to guess regarding needs over service life because nothing is upgradeable.
In a nut shell yes understanding what your needs are currently and are likely to be, is no doubt key making good configuration decisions..
Also it is reported, that due to the big increase in efficiency, you can do more with less with these silicon chips.

And I don't know that peoples work flows are "crying out" for more processing power.. More likely just acknowledging that it is available

I think there is no doubt the entry level M1 chips will work for many people here that record only a limited number of tracks and or even a few VI's

But then also I would guess more than 1/2 the home recordists here also post Youtube Vids and could appreciate more CPU and GUP than required for just "audio work"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-19-2021, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
It's after I up them or this week's new model laptops to enough disk space...
I bought my iMac with only a 512gb SSD. I use an Akitio Thunder3 Quad Mini bay to hold additional SSD drives and I store almost everything there rather than my system drive. It's true that Apple's SSD prices are nuts but there's no need to pay them.

YouTube
Old 10-19-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Back in the early days of DAW and computers the standard thinking was get the most performance you can afford.... I think that Apple Silicon has broken that mold .... As Frank pointed out,,,, I do not think that for most of us doing home recording that it is necessary to buy the top performance

That said
Here is Max Tech's video on these new MacBookPro's with the M1 Pro and the M1 Max chips

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-20-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I froze my first recording setup (G4 Mac with Pro Tools) sometime in 2009 to see how far I could go without replacing it. I made it to 2011 (total of 12 years). I got an Intel iMac in 2011 and I froze that system a year ago, to wait for the Apple Silicon machines to be released (specifically iMac with M1x or M2 SoCs), for all the related software I use to be updated to run NATIVELY on a new computer (not via Rosetta 2) and for all the bugs/glitches always associated with such fundamental changes to be fixed. Two DAWS (Studio One Pro is there mostly, Pro Tools is not). Of the plugins, a few have crossed that threshold, most haven't and my interface software should be there late this year.

I suspect I'll be waiting until late next year.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm positioned right now. My iMac is a 2017 model. I wouldn't mind making the iMac my main photo-editing computer and buying a new machine for the studio in a few years. By then, the way forward should be a lot less murky so far as compatibility goes.

YouTube
Old 10-19-2021, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here is Max Tech's video on these new MacBookPro's with the M1 Pro and the M1 Max chips
Those guys must be raking it in with their YouTube channel to be able to buy 8 MacBook Pros just to do testing and reviews. That's a lot of coin.

YouTube
Old 10-20-2021, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm positioned right now. My iMac is a 2017 model. I wouldn't mind making the iMac my main photo-editing computer and buying a new machine for the studio in a few years. By then, the way forward should be a lot less murky so far as compatibility goes.
Somewhat like sdelsolray. I had stayed with my Mid 2010 Mac Pro with PTHD Native from late 2010 until last December so 10 years (and in reality I could have stayed on it frozen on Mojave for even longer) ,,, But now like you, I suspect my current 2020 iMac to be good for at least 5 + years ...

My laptop a 2013 MacBook Air is however a bit problematic . Because even with a new OWC replacement battery still has the annoying issue (and one the reason I got a new battery) where if I leave it unplugged over night it will cycle completely off, and then restart (with the start chime noise ) at about 5:00 AM
And like the old factory battery still shows under System Report as "service recommended " which is the second reason I got a replacement battery ......So long story short I am considering one of these new Macbook Pros as a general laptop but also as a backup studio computer..

But this just came in my email about the anticipated Mac Mini upgrade

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...eid=3af5b4ba3b

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-20-2021, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Those guys must be raking it in with their YouTube channel to be able to buy 8 MacBook Pros just to do testing and reviews. That's a lot of coin.
Given they have almost 750 k subscribers I would guess they are earning well into the 6 figures from their channel, so with that and the fact they can write them off as a business expense, it does not surprise me.. And I assume they will either sell or donate them after testing.... They have for a while now , purchased at least a few new machines when they come out. But this is the most ambitious new model purchase to date ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-20-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But this just came in my email about the anticipated Mac Mini upgrade
A souped up Mac mini is certainly an enticing prospect. I'd like to see a 32gb ram option when the new ones come out.

YouTube
Old 10-20-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I bought my iMac with only a 512gb SSD. I use an Akitio Thunder3 Quad Mini bay to hold additional SSD drives and I store almost everything there rather than my system drive. It's true that Apple's SSD prices are nuts but there's no need to pay them.
I have the 512 SSD on my In The Box Mac mini with two externals, but I'm glad I didn't go with a 256 much less 128 SSD which was offered in that Mini generation. Somewhere down the line, if I don't have to spend money on something else -- maybe even on something not music related -- I'll probably go with an external array if only to simplify and offer easy upgrading options.

With my first Mac Mini (early in this century) I actually ran the OS on an external firewire drive because I couldn't afford the Apple cost on internal storage. I think routine booting from an external is still possible even now, though I think you need to handle some additional pre-requisites to do it.

Installers for many (most?) Mac applications seem to insist on installs on the Mac OS drive, which is my worry with its size, particularly over the long service life I usually plan on (and achieve). With sound libraries, I put them on an external, though sometimes you have to install, then move them. My sound libraries alone are about 512 gigs on the In the Box productions Mac Mini.

One of the reasons I prefer to use Windows for my mixing/mastering is that it's just so freeing to not have to worry about those things. But I'm committed to Logic Pro X for In the Box stuff, and my Mac Minis have served we well. If my old studio "live and acoustic recording" Mini dies I think I'd be happy even with the current M1 Mini (since ProTools should work on it now) at 16 gig RAM and 512 SSD, though I'd have to hub up due to the limited number of ports. When that older live studio Mini reaches 10 years old next year, and if I can afford it then, and if I'm still recording in the live studio room, I'll likely replace it preemptively for reasons of age and so that I can run current versions of Logic Pro there as I do on the In The Box Mini.

One the other hand, as I mused on a recent open mic thread on some bicycle maintenance/upgrades I just committed to: at at my age, regardless of how prudently I purchase, I don't have 10 year service life expectation personally.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD