The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
Where are you finding these strings for sale in the U.S? Strings by mail states they are no longer for sale in the U.S. and I'm not finding them available on several other sites.
This is where I found mine to try:

http://guitarsnjazz.com/products/strings/newtone/
Old 11-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Where are you finding these strings for sale in the U.S? Strings by mail states they are no longer for sale in the U.S. and I'm not finding them available on several other sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
This is where I found mine to try:

http://guitarsnjazz.com/products/strings/newtone/
Or you could order direct from the Newtone website, where you’d have access to their full range (including customised gauges/sets).

https://newtonestrings.com/products/

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-26-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Also available at Guitar Gallery.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Or you could order direct from the Newtone website, where you’d have access to their full range (including customised gauges/sets).

https://newtonestrings.com/products/
That’s true, but the OP was asking specifically about US sources. Maybe the motivation is as simple as getting them more quickly, but whatever the reason, I was attempting to answer in kind.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
That’s true, but the OP was asking specifically about US sources. Maybe the motivation is as simple as getting them more quickly, but whatever the reason, I was attempting to answer in kind.
I realise that - as he gave no explanation as to his motivation I was merely trying to be helpful by giving him an alternative.

Whilst supply from Newtone themselves may be slower, I was making the point that it does give access to their full range of strings, including the option of customising sets, rather than the limited range available (or often not) via their US dealers.

I see no problem with that...

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-27-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I realise that - as he gave no explanation as to his motivation I was merely trying to be helpful by giving him an alternative.

Whilst supply from Newtone themselves may be slower, I was making the point that it does give access to their full range of strings, including the option of customising sets, rather than the limited range available (or often not) via their US dealers.

I see no problem with that...
I feel like if you have some patience, you are better off waiting and getting them directly from Newtone for the reasons JayBee offered, not to mention freshness.
Besides, as I already posted, my last order arrived in a about 8 days.
Hey if you can’t wait a week or so, buy them from somebody in the U.S.
Personally, I don’t need strings that quickly and I always order custom gauges. Whatever works.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-05-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I bought 6 sets, the masterclass pb, 12 - 53 on my e20d-tc have made it my favorite guitar. I don't know if it's the guitar or the strings but they sound soooooo amazing and just sustain for days.
'20 Guild F150ce
'12 Guild D150ce
'95 Santa Cruz OM (Braced identical to OM/PW)
'20 Takamine E360S-TT
Takamine EG544SC
Seagull Original S6
Seagull Entourage Mini-Jumbo
Yamaha FG830
'20 Yamaha LJ16
'20 Furch Red Pure Gc-SR
'20 Recording King RD-328
Old 12-05-2020, 09:16 PM

Does anyone know how they compare to DR Sunbeams?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have used them on both my spruce rosewood deep body grand concert as well as my spruce mahogany slope shoulder and agree that they have great tone, but I find that they lose their tone rather quickly if you are changing tunings, bending strings and/or using picks on a regular basis.
Best,
Jayne
Old 12-05-2020, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Does anyone know how they compare to DR Sunbeams?
Both DR Sunbeams and Newtone Masterclass are great strings. Dr Sunbeams seem like they are lighter tension than Newtone. They seem to have a greater touch response. Newtones have a snappier, more lively sound. Both strings sound excellent.
The odd thing about DR Sunbeams is they sound great on Rosewood guitars but don't seem to work on Mahogany or Walnut. As where Newtone sounds great on Rosewood, Mahogany and Walnut. No explanations as to why. But I know others on the forum who have also experienced the same thing.
Newtone Masterclass roundcore... are my personal string of choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have used them on both my spruce rosewood deep body grand concert as well as my spruce mahogany slope shoulder and agree that they have great tone, but I find that they lose their tone rather quickly if you are changing tunings, bending strings and/or using picks on a regular basis.
Best,
Jayne
As of yet, other than Drop D..I do very little in the way of alternate tuning so I can not comment on that. That could very well be true.
However, I do use a pick in combination with fingerstyle and heavy strumming. I am a hard plucker. And I have not found them to loose their tone quickly.
IN fact...I have found just the opposite. I often find myself holding on to these strings longer than I should. The tone is there. but after a month...it seems like the intonation? the strings responsiveness is a little less to my liking. But the tone is still there. The tone is there longer, more so than any other string I have previously tried.
This just goes to show you though, that it is really up to the style and gauges in which each of us plays. I trust that what Jayne is saying is true...True for the style in which played. That is most often the Key.
I am reminded of the time that my best friend played my top two guitars. One is Amazon Rosewood and the other Walnut. He sounded way better on the Walnut guitar. We both agreed.
When I played my guitars, I sounded way better on my Amazon Rosewood. Again..We both agreed.
How can this be? Different playing styles. So while I get longer tone life, it may very well be that Jayne gets less tone life. Such is in the nature of how any given product is used.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:56 AM

I have always found DR Sunbeams to be slightly brighter sounding than double wound Newtone Masterclass. The single wound MC are probably somewhere in the middle and are my string of choice for that reason.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 12-06-2020, 10:00 AM

My favorite strings. I usually go with PB and nickel depending on the guitar. On my older guitars I use Heritage. My problem is I have to remember to order them and thinking ahead is not one of strongest points. In a pinch though I will grab Optima Vintage Flex for the old guitars.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:26 AM

Hands down my favourite strings ever, I use the p/b Master Class 12-54's and i've also just tried a set of his Monels and i'm loving them also. They are cheap as chips and sound so good.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:14 AM

Sunbeams had too much sustain & brightness for my taste. Newtones feel pro to me; Sunbeams feel kinda like a cheaper, pingy rip-off of them. But that's not to say they're bad at all; depends on your taste. If you prefer brightness over warmth go with the Sunbeams, and they are a little easier on your fingers than Newtones, and louder. Hell, almost anything other than standard silk 'n steel is louder than Newtones, which have a rather dull-sounding G string to my ears. The G broke on my Plectrums, I put on a Newtone G of the same gauge, and it was like night & day - half the volume and a duller sound. As I said in an earlier post, I'm giving up on Newtones due to such low volume when fingerpicking and how they rip up my fingers, and sticking with TI Plectrums. I also don't like waiting a month for strings & having them shipped to the wrong address. I used to swear by Newtones, but now I realize that while they sound great (possibly a little better than Plectrums, even) and have nicely customized gauge variations, the projection isn't very good, the winding is too rough for a funky fingerpicker, & they're apparently getting lazy at the factory. I'm speaking only of the Master Class round cores; I haven't tried double-wounds and other variations. But if you're using a pick, the volume isn't a problem. Pickers could easily use Newtones exclusively and save money over Plectrums, possibly with a little better tone as well, but less brightness. Always get Newtones from the UK home web site as they're freshly made, but be prepared to grow a long beard if you're outside the UK and particularly if they don't have your order in stock.

Last edited by songlife; 12-17-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songlife View Post
Sunbeams had too much sustain & brightness for my taste. Newtones feel pro to me; Sunbeams feel kinda like a cheaper, pingy rip-off of them. But that's not to say they're bad at all; depends on your taste. If you prefer brightness over warmth go with the Sunbeams, and they are a little easier on your fingers than Newtones, and louder. Hell, almost anything other than standard silk 'n steel is louder than Newtones, which have a rather dull-sounding G string to my ears. The G broke on my Plectrums, I put on a Newtone G of the same gauge, and it was like night & day - half the volume and a duller sound. As I said in an earlier post, I'm giving up on Newtones due to such low volume when fingerpicking and how they rip up my fingers, and sticking with TI Plectrums. I also don't like waiting a month for strings & having them shipped to the wrong address. I used to swear by Newtones, but now I realize that while they sound great (possibly a little better than Plectrums, even) and have nicely customized gauge variations, the projection isn't very good, the winding is too rough for a funky fingerpicker, & they're apparently getting lazy at the factory. I'm speaking only of the Master Class round cores; I haven't tried double-wounds and other variations. But if you're using a pick, the volume isn't a problem. Pickers could easily use Newtones exclusively and save money over Plectrums, possibly with a little better tone as well, but less brightness. Always get Newtones from the UK home web site as they're freshly made, but be prepared to grow a long beard if you're outside the UK and particularly if they don't have your order in stock.

I haven’t found Newtones to be lacking in volume or projection at all in any guise (Double wound or single wound) Nor have I found the quality control to be anything less than 100%.

Interestingly I have never played a softer sounding string than TI Plectrums - I would say they are one of the warmest strings out there and have almost no brightness at all.

Amazing how people experience different strings.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion