The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 05:06 PM

Default Beatles Re-make

Ok, just a weird idea that will never happen and perhaps shouldn’t happen but after watching some of the George Harrison tribute songs featuring many high profile musicians…including Ringo and Paul…and at least one with Ringo, Paul and Dhani (Georges son), I got to thinking it’d be “interesting” to Sean Ringo, Paul, Dhani (Georges son) and Julian Lennon (Johns son) on stage together.
I don’t know. Perhaps a bit irreverent to even suggest it.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:46 PM

This was what many people hoped for when Julian first appeared on the scene. Though he tried hard to plough his own furrow (and produced some very good albums), everyone compared him to his father, but yes, he would have done a good job. The upside to it not happening though is that when you see Paul McCartney live, he doesn't just play bass and keyboards: I remember the looks on all our faces back on the Flowers In the Dirt tour, when he opened with Sgt Pepper's LHCB and let rip into his Les Paul.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
This was what many people hoped for when Julian first appeared on the scene. Though he tried hard to plough his own furrow (and produced some very good albums), everyone compared him to his father, but yes, he would have done a good job. The upside to it not happening though is that when you see Paul McCartney live, he doesn't just play bass and keyboards: I remember the looks on all our faces back on the Flowers In the Dirt tour, when he opened with Sgt Pepper's LHCB and let rip into his Les Paul.
There are a few legacy music stars that I hope to one day see perform. McCartney would certainly be one of them.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:09 PM

Old guy, fan from day one, no, not interesting to me in the least. YMMV...
Old 11-28-2021, 06:53 PM

Like Paul said, "Let It Be"
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-28-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Old guy, fan from day one, no, not interesting to me in the least. YMMV...
I agree with you on this. Some things you just don’t mess with.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:32 PM

They should remake their movies.

Help! Starring...

John - Seth Rogen

Paul - Will Ferrell

George - Steve Buscemi

Ringo - Jack Black

It should be every bit as good as any of the remakes of old movies done in the past twenty years.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:37 PM

Nobody can do the Beatles, including Paul, although for decades he’s basically been a Beatles cover band.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:38 PM

Although most people single out Julian Lennon in comparison to his father, IMO it's Dhani Harrison who really got his dad's musical DNA:

As for "The Larvae" (for lack of a better name - Julian, James, Dhani, and Zak), this lifelong Beatles fan isn't convinced it's such a good idea either in principle or practice...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 11-30-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Although most people single out Julian Lennon in comparison to his father, IMO it's Dhani Harrison who really got his dad's musical DNA.

As for "The Larvae" (for lack of a better name - Julian, James, Dhani, and Zak), this lifelong Beatl4es fan isn't convinced it's such a good idea either in principle or practice...
Me, neither. As talented as those young men are, none of them are the towering talents that their fathers were.

whm
Old 11-28-2021, 08:04 PM

I would watch it but it would never come close to being anything like a reunion.
It could be a lot of fun though.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

The Allman and Betts kids are trying something similar. It doesn’t suck, but it doesn’t add a single thing either and ultimately I find it kind of sad. Any musician worth listening to is worth listening to for his or her own thing, not for trying to recapture the lost glory of a parent. I’ll take Jacob Dylan - he was nowhere close to his old man, but he did his own thing, and it worked on his terms, to the level he’s capable of. Him trying to sound like Bob doing Bob tunes would just strike me as sad and desperate. Same for any leftover Beatles. Sean Lennon strikes me as a lot more interesting, but vastly less commercially viable, than Julian’s brief adventure in John-land. Jason Bonham is probably the only guy I know of who sort of succeeded in filling mom or pop’s shoes, but “sort of” is doing a lot of work there.

-Ray
Old 11-29-2021, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Nobody can do the Beatles, including Paul, although for decades he’s basically been a Beatles cover band.
Pretty much all the bands worth seeing today could be considered cover bands.

As people die and or are replaced. Things change regardless of how much they try to remain the same.

I saw the Eagles Hell Freezes Over tour in 1994. Which already had replacement players.

Then again, a few years later. After firing Don Felder.

I get the friction. But from the listeners point of view. No comparison.

The 1994 show had a magic that was gone by the latter show.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:27 AM

If you enjoy hearing the music played live and played well, go for it.
The Beatles were the Beatles…that’s it.
As for the “Eagles” today’s version, no thanks. We were fortunate enough to to see them in the Randy Meisner / Bernie Leadon era then with Tim Schmidt, Joe Walsh and Felder. Anything beyond that…mehh and especially for the cover charge.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 11-29-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
If you enjoy hearing the music played live and played well, go for it.
The Beatles were the Beatles…that’s it.
As for the “Eagles” today’s version, no thanks. We were fortunate enough to to see them in the Randy Meisner / Bernie Leadon era then with Tim Schmidt, Joe Walsh and Felder. Anything beyond that…mehh and especially for the cover charge.
The Eagles are coming to Tampa at Amalie Arena, and the tickets START at $125. So two tickets and parking - $280 for the cheap seats before you even get in the door! Big Eagles fan, but sorry, not worth the price of admission, even if it was the original cast. Glad I caught the Hell Freezes over tour in North Carolina many years ago. For the record, Vince Gill does do an admirable job filling in. I've seen the Live in Melbourne show on TV, and he was a good fit.

Last edited by Mak2525; 11-29-2021 at 09:03 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion