The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

My Mac Mini M1 (16GB/1TB) is out for delivery today, all the way from China.

I've been looking at monitors, this unit is $100 less than a couple days ago at Amazon.

LG 27UK500-B Monitor 27” UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Display

Seems to get excellent reviews for a budget unit @ $250.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
My Mac Mini M1 (16GB/1TB) is out for delivery today, all the way from China.

I've been looking at monitors, this unit is $100 less than a couple days ago at Amazon.

LG 27UK500-B Monitor 27” UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Display

Seems to get excellent reviews for a budget unit @ $250.
Hey cool, That will be an extremely capable machine. So does the display have TB 3 input or the 2.0 HDMI ?

My new MBP is still a couple weeks out.........

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-23-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey cool, That will be an extremely capable machine. So does the display have TB 3 input or the 2.0 HDMI ?

My new MBP is still a couple weeks out.........
It has HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4. USB-C monitors are another $100 at minimum from what I can tell. The whole monitor thing has been confusing at my price point.

I've got a MBP 16" coming as well, ordered before the Mini. Looks like the MBP has been shipped so I'll be busy setting both up this week.

--just received a delivery notice that the MBP comes tomorrow, exciting week here.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Just an update, we're fully M1 and M1Pro functional. I used the thunderbolt connection and the migration assistant from my 13" intel MBP. I'm glad I had a wired mouse around to set up the Mac mini. A word to the wise.

Both computers had issues connecting w/ my iCloud account, first time I had to call Apple, second time I was able to figure it out after a restart in safe mode and signing out and back in to iCloud. Restarts, etc.

The Mac mini is bigger than I expected, a heavy duty unit, looks impressive.. The MBP is a beautiful unit. Much improved keyboard, lovely screen. It's my main computer and the mini is in the studio though both are set up the same, there's three months of the year I'm out of town and will use the MBP.

Ordered the LG monitor that will shuffle between the two Macs.

Last edited by stephenT; 11-25-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I suspect dual screens may be like a heated steering wheel in a car. Until you have it, you don't realize how much you'd miss it (I'd never buy a car without it at this point). I've never had dual screens so I don't know, but I'm thinking I could be fine with a wider screen for mixing and the smaller iMac screen for when I'm working at the keyboard.

In my current setup, space is limited so when I'm using the computer keyboard I'm always reaching over the top of my Hammer88 midi controller. I'm getting quite tired of that.

I'm thinking this DangerFox Genesis 24U desk would do nicely as a mixing/mastering desk. And I'd get a sidecar to house my preamps and patchbays.

How do you like your Neumann Monitors?
Old 11-28-2021, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreilly View Post
How do you like your Neumann Monitors?
I think they're tough to beat at the price point. They don't fatigue my ears in the way my old Mackie 624s did. The mids and highs provide the kind of detail you'd want from a good set of studio monitors. The low end isn't as focused as I'd want for some more involved mixes that have bass and kick but at that price point no monitors deliver on that front. For acoustic guitar, however, they're fine. I don't detect any significant coloration. To my ears they ring pretty true without any hype. i don't hesitate in recommending them. Read some of the reviews that are there. They're all generally quite good.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-29-2021, 01:48 PM

I am used to the Adam AX7 studio monitors and do like them a lot at my buddies studio (I heard they are getting discontinued so maybe a new version is coming out). But the Neuman were also on my list as well and they seem to have good reviews.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Just an update, we're fully M1 and M1Pro functional. I used the thunderbolt connection and the migration assistant from my 13" intel MBP. I'm glad I had a wired mouse around to set up the Mac mini. A word to the wise.

Both computers had issues connecting w/ my iCloud account, first time I had to call Apple, second time I was able to figure it out after a restart in safe mode and signing out and back in to iCloud. Restarts, etc.

The Mac mini is bigger than I expected, a heavy duty unit, looks impressive.. The MBP is a beautiful unit. Much improved keyboard, lovely screen. It's my main computer and the mini is in the studio though both are set up the same, there's three months of the year I'm out of town and will use the MBP.

Ordered the LG monitor that will shuffle between the two Macs.
Just got the new MBP M1 Pro (second tier base model 16 core -16 GB RAM AND 1TB SSD). have not tried any music production (for Pro Tools I use iLok) So I am waiting for some USB to USC C adaptors to run PT
And if I upgrade my Studio One 4.5 to 5.4 it will run natively on M1

But one unexpected thing and one I don't really understand is my Internet Speed Test numbers have jumped up dramatically
Before on my 2013 MB Air w/i7 on a good day I would get between 8 and 12 MBS down and maybe 2.5 up.
Now I'm getting 30 + down and 3.5 to 5.5 up ??????????
I would have thought the speed would only be tied to the ISP connection ?
We are slated to get our Starlink dish and modem in Feb., so I am worried my old guy brain may not be able to keep up

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-08-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Just got the new MBP M1 Pro (second tier base model 16 core -16 GB RAM AND 1TB SSD). have not tried any music production (for Pro Tools I use iLok) So I am waiting for some USB to USC C adaptors to run PT

But one unexpected thing and one I don't really understand is my Internet Speed Test numbers have jumped up dramatically
Before on my 2013 MB Air w/i7 on a good day I would get between 8 and 12 MBS down and maybe 2.5 up.
We are slated to get our Starlink dish and modem in Feb., so I am worried my old guy brain may not be able to keep up
Do you connect via a wired cable or via WiFi?

If WiFi, there are a number of reasons for network connections to be faster on newer devices. Assuming both the router or WiFi access point has more modern version of WiFi, your new MacBook could/should get faster connection speeds. Another possible factor: WiFi speeds will fall off with poorer reception. So maybe your new MacBook has a better WiFi antenna or you're testing speeds from different locations in your house?

Anyway, nice problem to have.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-08-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Do you connect via a wired cable or via WiFi?

If WiFi, there are a number of reasons for network connections to be faster on newer devices. Assuming both the router or WiFi access point has more modern version of WiFi, your new MacBook could/should get faster connection speeds. Another possible factor: WiFi speeds will fall off with poorer reception. So maybe your new MacBook has a better WiFi antenna or you're testing speeds from different locations in your house?

Anyway, nice problem to have.
Interesting yes wifi
The router is about a year old
The location is the same so it must be the better antenna
I don't know if it matters but everything on the computer is much faster also
The RAM and the SSD etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-10-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

I can tell the difference between the Mac mini M1 and the MBP M1Pro in speed but both are silly fast. Download is 33 and upload is 24 Mbps from Xfinity w/ an older modem on the MBP M1Pro. On the Mac mini using the same server a minute later DL was 19 and UL was 22. The MBP M1 pro clearly has a faster architecture.

I'm using Logic Pro and not a ton of plug-ins (all native) w/ the mini M1 so I'm not taxing the system. But the fan would come on often w/ my old i7 intel MBP (2018) and on the new mini or the MBP neither fan has kicked in once.

Quote:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD