The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-12-2021, 06:25 PM

Default Testing new interface: Discrete 4

I picked up a second-hand Antelope Discrete 4 (old version), and this is my first recording with it. It came with a Verge mic (SDC) which should have some different 'modelling' options, but I could not get that to work.
I also couldn't get the Thunderbolt connection to work, so I'm just using it through USB and I'm not using any of the onboard fx (just using same old ones I used to in Reaper).

That's my Larrivee OM-40 into Rode NT5 neck, Antelope verge bridge, into the Discrete 4 then into Reaper on my PC. Oh, and instead of mixing with my (wonderful) HD700s, I used some DT-770s.

Of course, it's a Carl Miner TNAG demo tune (that's all I play at the moment). Annoyingly I played it a bit too fast when recording. Hey ho.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Nice sound.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:49 AM

thanks Doug!
Old 11-24-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I have a discrete 4 synergy (the new one) along with an edge duo modelling mic.

Definitely a bit of a love / hate for me.

It can do some very interesting stuff but their software is quirky and the support is not great.

I bought a new laptop with thunderbolt specifically to get that going and it has basically never worked all the way. Initially it worked somewhat but had pops and hisses coming through.

Now as soon as I plug it in the laptop hard crashes.

I pointed out to them that their windows control panel doesn't scale properly over two years ago. If you run it on a 4k laptop monitor the text is basically too small to read and you can't scale it not to mention the buttons are miniscule.

These are amateur software qa issues and I'm surprised they haven't come close to fixing them.

That said I like the recording!

Oh and I bought my DUO used. I ended up contacting antelope product support for the licensing codes to enable the plugins for the modelling emulation if you haven't already they should be able to hook you up there.

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-24-2021 at 02:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD