The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2021, 04:04 AM

I wouldn't say I've ditched powered bins, but will be using either 1 or 2 EV Evolve 50s for all my solo gigs. I recently bought a pair, as I have shoulder issues, and have re-injured one shoulder doing the 25kg twist and lift over my head onto a speaker stand. I will need some significant surgery on one shoulder in the next couple of years, and don't want to keep hurting it.

I am very happy with the sound I'm achieving, and very, very happy to only have to lift the lightweight speaker section onto the extension pole. I use a Soundcraft Signature desk most gigs, but do a couple of restaurant and bar and grill gigs where I have a small area to setup (what's new!), and use a Fishman Loudbox Mini for low volume inside, and line out into an Evolve to cover the deck areas.

I also play drums/percussion in a duo, and we use JBL PRX715s, but my duo partner is 20 years younger than me with no injuries, so he does the lifting.

This gig is at a marina restaurant, and I had 250 plus people at the peak.
Covered the area well with no feedback issues at all.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:16 AM

Larren, how do you use or set up the Soundcraft mixer with the Evolve and/or the Fishman. Looks very interesting.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I still use (and love!) my Bose L1 Model II... this is all my own experience and opinion, but I have been gigging my entire life, and over 5 decades, I've played through a LOT of different rigs.

I still have not played through or heard anything that sounds as good to me as my Bose rig; very natural, transparent and absolutely the most well-mannered PA so far as feedback goes...

One thing I encountered was that the Bose has a VERY different feel in application than event he best "conventional" PA's I've played through... I have had to learn to "divorce myself" from thinking in a "normal" PA manner; what I'd call that "Point and Shoot" mentality.

I frequently have to remind myself that the speaker column does NOT have to be pointing at the audience (or me) directly, so long as they are within that 180 degree swath of dispersion...

It a very good thing, to sit on stage and play, and KNOW that the audience is hearing both the tone and volume I'm hearing... folks right in front of me can carry on a conversation without screaming, and people 50' away can hear perfectly. There is literally NO dropout or hot spot within that 180 degree area... NONE! I've heard the QSC stuff many times, and it sounds good, but ONLY if you happen to be in the cone of dispersion; venture even a few feet outside that and the volume and tone drops off quickly...

Early on, I realized that I had grown accustomed to hearing my guitars with UST pickups, sounding really punchy and not very "acoustic", if you follow me. Using the Bose rig, I feel I hear my acoustic 6 and 12 string guitars in a much more lifelike fashion; took a little getting used to not hearing that "thumpy" exaggerated bass response and in-your-face high end. I want to hear sounds that I would find "in nature", not artificial, overly punchy tones...

Now I have Dazzo pickups in both my acoustics, and they sound much more like "real" acoustic instruments, to me... especially through my Bose.

I have an AER Compact 60, which I love - <13#s? Come on! It can handle both my guitar and voice and gets REALLY loud for 60 solid-state watts... but honestly? I would only use it if space and weight were big issues... even if it's a bit more than the gig calls for, I'd still rather use my Model II... heck, it's four pieces and not one of them weighs more than 25#s... even an old guy can deal with that!

I've not had the opportunity to hear/play through any of the new Bose rigs, but I'd favor the Pro32 w/ the smaller sub were I looking for something to replace my Model II. Rather have the firepower when and if I need it... even though I've gigged for a long time and am very good at what I do, there still isn't much money to be made at it - I've never had the luxury of having multiple PAs from which to choose. With that in mind, I'd go for the highest end model I might need.

There are a lot of choices out there, and there are a LOT less expensive rigs available... a lot of them sound pretty good, but not as good as the Bose stuff does to me. I'd say, arrange a time when you can go into a store and truly check out what you want - play your own guitars and use your own mic and play AT A PERFORMING volume level... have a friend with you so you (or they) can walk around and hear the sound while you're playing... heck, we're talking thousands of dollars here - worth being certain to get what you want!

Good luck!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 10-11-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
Larren, how do you use or set up the Soundcraft mixer with the Evolve and/or the Fishman. Looks very interesting.
When using the Fishman, I go from the DI out, and into one input of the Evolve, and when I'm using a mixer, I go from the left and right outputs, and into inputs 1 and 2 on the Evolve.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

One more thing I'd add to my previous reply - I use the Bose T1 mixer with my L1 Model II. It is an incredible little mixer/gizmo!

Since it's usually just vocal and 6 and 12 string guitars, the limited inputs don't bother me; I've actually used it for an additional player by running through the 4/5 line-level inputs without issue.

One aspect that makes the T1 a VERY sanitary stage setup is that I run ONE cable from the T1 to the base unit, and that gets AC to the mixer, as well as sending signal to the main unit. All my cords are short ones, and I have a small "shelf" that affixes to my mic stand for the T1.

Really cool to just need ONE AC outlet, and ONE cord across the stage... especially after years of having cables all over the place that need to be "dressed" out of the way to avoid damaging them...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-12-2021, 05:33 PM

Another option which might be worth considering is a Fender Passport System. I have an older model, maybe 15 years old, and I just love it. Extremely easy to set up and operate, true stereo sound because of the two speakers, built in eq and chorus. The speakers seem quite transparent and clear to my ear. I really have no complaints at all, though I admit I'm hardly an expert in this area.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:30 PM

My L1 M2 is at Bose for a repair.

While it's gone I got an L1 Pro 32 with a Sub 1. First gig with it tomorrow night. Since I use a QSC Touchmix 8 and I have that venue's setting saved, I am curious to hear the differences in the same room.

If it sounds better, I'll be selling the L1 M2 when I get it back. If not, that is what returns are for.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 10-14-2021, 05:14 PM

New to the forum here… but I kind of went the other way.

For my duo (1 guitar, 2 vocals) I use the QSCs. Guitar is a Larivee with an Anthem through an eq and then a Venue DI. Vocals go through TC Helicon pedal processors - one mic mechanic and one doubler - but we don’t use any of the correction or doubling, just the reverb and the de-essing/compression button. Yamaha mixer and 1 k12.2 and 1 k8.2 for mains, and 1 k8.2 for a floor monitor. Definitely more to carry around than a stick array but we’re really happy with the sound and I have load in/out pretty well choreographed by now.

Few months ago I bought one of the new Bose L1 systems. We a/b’d it for a few days but couldn’t get the vocals to have the life we have in our current system. Also it had a lot of bass for guitar but it sounded muddy to me relative to our current set up. Ended up taking it back. I was looking forward to the convenience but it didn’t work out.

Here’s our setup

It’s weird, I’ve heard tons of guys and gals playing through the Bose systems that sounded great, but I just couldn’t get there with it for some reason.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
New to the forum here… but I kind of went the other way...
Welcome to the forum! Looks like a great setup and though sticks are popular here (I have a couple and love them), you're far from the only forum member who prefers that customary setup. P.S., great to see a Yamaha mixer, another one of my favorites! Also dear Lord what a beautiful venue for a gig.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:03 AM

Thank you. Yes, crazy good view there. Good part is if we suck no one will notice.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

tbtxaz21---just curious as to which model Bose L1 you tried? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Bottom like is. Are you buying for sound? or convenience? Or price?

No secret I'm a JBL 715/815 user.

Sound quality is best you'll likely hear for a small system.

My approach is if you have too much. You can turn it down.

If not enough, you're stuck.

So with PA's, always overkill.

You'll be happier once it's set up, and you hear what you want to hear.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:42 AM

Seems like I’m reading a lot of love for the EV 30/50. Anyone know how they compare to a QSC clarity-wise?

The idea of a built in usable mixer sounds interesting.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
Seems like I’m reading a lot of love for the EV 30/50. Anyone know how they compare to a QSC clarity-wise?

The idea of a built in usable mixer sounds interesting.
I have both the EV30M’s and QSC K8.2’s. I think the QSC stuff sounds phenomenal. I will never part with them. After going to the sticks, they’ve been relegated to floor monitors wherever I need them. I don’t even have to eq them. Put the setting on monitor and they’re great. My only problem with them was they didn’t have the oomph to push my kickdrum pad.
The EV 30M’s have a lot of good things going for it. Relatively lightweight, extremely easy to set up, and have the oomph I want, the high end clarity I want, and the punch I want. Of course, I would have preferred the EV 50M’s, but that would have been an extra grand and for the size of venues I’m playing, I chose what I can get away with. The 30’s are no slouch.
So, back to your original question, it all depends on your needs. Full size speakers are always going to sound better. Period. It’s physics. But if you can make a stick sound more than serviceable, not have to deal with speaker stands and an outboard mixer, and in my case, no light stands too….pfffft. I’m all about that.
P.S. no one has ever heard my duo and have said “your sound sucks”. Quite the opposite.
P.P.S. Last gig with the 30’s, I played at an outdoor venue with people sitting right up against the stage. We were able to play at a volume that didn’t come close to being offensive while being loud enough for people to hear us clearly in the parking lot and down the street. I don’t think you get that with traditional speakers.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8

Last edited by rogueacoustic; 10-15-2021 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-18-2021, 09:36 AM

I have the EV50 and love the overall sound. Previously, after trying QSC, Yamaha, JBL, and EV powered 10's and 12's, I owned a pair of Yamaha DSR12's. I preferred their balanced sound over the QSC's at the time. I have not heard any of the newer QSC speakers.

But again, the Evolve 30/50 line is really hard to beat right now. I would at least give them a good demo if you have the chance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification