The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-08-2024, 01:47 PM

Default Buscarino Grand Cabaret -Any opinions?

I'm considering one of these but can't get my hands on it. I'm a lefty. Thanks.
Pre War Guitars Slope Shouldered Jumbo
Taylor GS Mini
Gibson SG Junior
Old 01-09-2024, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I had an Eastman Cabaret, which is almost the same guitar for way less, for a couple of years. I liked it a lot.

“Almost the same”? I have not compared the two personally, I have never played the genuine Buscarino. Another AGF member who has either played both or has owned both commented here once that the Eastman Cabaret was very similar in quality to the actual Buscarino for the difference in dollar value.

I sold the Eastman Cabaret to an AGF member. I really liked the Cabaret, but I have too many guitars.

I had an email conversation once with John Buscarino, and he recommended getting one of the newer Cabarets with the newest James May Ultratonic pickup.

Best wishes!
Old 01-12-2024, 01:59 AM

I am a lefty as well, and I know how difficult it can be to find quality left handed instruments.
It is my understanding that the Eastman Cabaret is not available as a lefty model.
Your only option is to have Buscarino make one for you, or possibly keep an eye out for a used one to come up for sale. I have seen previously owned lefty models come up for sale from time to time.
Good Luck!
1966 Martin D-35
1972 Fender Telecaster
1976 Ryoji Matsuoka Classical No. 40
1975 Mitsuru Tamura, Model No. 1000
2013 Taylor 814c-N
1994 Heritage 576
2004 Heritage 575 Custom
2014 Godin Multiac Nylon Encore
2008 Larrivee D-03
2009 Takamine TC135Sc
YouTube
Old 01-13-2024, 01:10 AM

I sent you a private message about a Buscarino Cabaret I'd be willing sell. Not set up for a lefty, though.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

From luthier John Buscarino:

“I would say the Ultra tonic is the more natural sounding pickup system (compared to Barbera Soloist). It is microphonic so there will be more finger and body noise but also more harmonic content . I install that pickup in my own Cabarets as well as the Eastman's when I get them for resale.It has a very high threshold of feedback for a soundboard style system.”
Old 01-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

They had one at SoundPure a few years ago, and my friend and I still regret one of us not buying it. It would easily be a yes for me. Occasionally I think of selling the heard to get one.

BTW - My friend has the Starlight thin body hybrid with the Barbera and it sounds and plays incredibly well.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I had an Eastman Cabaret, which is almost the same guitar for way less, for a couple of years. I liked it a lot.

“Almost the same”? I have not compared the two personally, I have never played the genuine Buscarino. Another AGF member who has either played both or has owned both commented here once that the Eastman Cabaret was very similar in quality to the actual Buscarino for the difference in dollar value.

I love mine too but it's not as perfect as you'd expect for the price. Both Eastman and Buscarino admitted that QC glitches do happen - and John told me he corrects those as good as he can on the Eastmans he sells.
(Mine has a few frets that are just not seated completely so cause the low E to clatter too easily, a truss rod that's already maxed out and a few aesthetic naggles like marks of a fret file that appear to be *under* the finish on the left/player edge of the fretboard.)

The biggest difference between the "real" and the "democratic" versions is that the former (usually) don't have maple back and sides, and they seem to use a cedar+spruce double top most of the time. That will make quite some difference to the sound.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I have owned a Cabaret for about 9-years now. John made mine with a Carpathian Spruce top with Honduran Rosewood back and sides. It has a 1-15/16” nut and a 25-1/2” scale. These are fantastic instruments! Mine is pure acoustic without a pickup.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:58 AM

Fantastic indeed - fwiw even Michael Watts was impressed when he got his hands on one sometime last year I think.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-15-2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post
I am a lefty as well, and I know how difficult it can be to find quality left handed instruments.
It is my understanding that the Eastman Cabaret is not available as a lefty model.
Your only option is to have Buscarino make one for you, or possibly keep an eye out for a used one to come up for sale. I have seen previously owned lefty models come up for sale from time to time.
Good Luck!
I bought one on Reverb for a reasonable price. It's quite good. The case was ragged but it was 18 years old.
Pre War Guitars Slope Shouldered Jumbo
Taylor GS Mini
Gibson SG Junior

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical